CGC Turn Around Times
2 2

14 posts in this topic

14 posts

After getting some advice here, I recently submitted an FF 48, 50 and 52 for scoring. I have a few others that I will submit at a later date. In an effort to save some money, I submitted the 50 & 52 at the economy tier and the 48 at the standard tier. I would have probably submitted the 48 at economy too but I didn't want to risk them bumping it up due to its FMV. Truthfully, I thought I was pushing it with the 52 at economy.

Anyway, my books were received into their system on 4/29. The two submitted at the economy tier are already done. I expect them back today. The one submitted at the standard tier is still sitting in their system with a "Received" status. Shouldn't that one have been done first? I'm not complaining...just curious about the typical process and turn around time.

By the way, I've since learned on these boards that the FMV declaration is probably more for insurance purposes and they rarely bump you up a tier unless it is really egregious. If I had submitted all three at the economy tier, I would probably be expecting them all back today and spent less in the process.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23,559 posts

Their current turnaround times are fantastic. If you are thinking of getting anything graded, now is the time to do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 posts
6 minutes ago, kimik said:

Their current turnaround times are fantastic. If you are thinking of getting anything graded, now is the time to do it.

I agree with my economy tier books. I would just like to see some progress with the other one, since I expected it first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
60,548 posts
16 minutes ago, jrmutley said:

I agree with my economy tier books. I would just like to see some progress with the other one, since I expected it first.

I'm not sure why you didn't just risk it all in the same tier.  The WORSE that they can do is bump to to the standard tier pricing but at least, they would all be done at the same time.  To be honest, CGC rarely bumps anything unless it's a pretty prominent book.  Unless your 48 was uber high grade, it probably would have never been bumped.  The main issue is your tolerance with the declared value limitation because that is what CGC would consider reimbursing you IF it damaged while in their control.  Also, the best part of having all the books in the same tier is that they get shipped together.  If CGC is using registered mail for only a few books, the per book charge can be significant. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23,559 posts

Agreed. Just put it all into one tier and take the upcharge on books that are valued at a higher level.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 posts
10 minutes ago, greggy said:

I'm not sure why you didn't just risk it all in the same tier.  The WORSE that they can do is bump to to the standard tier pricing but at least, they would all be done at the same time.  To be honest, CGC rarely bumps anything unless it's a pretty prominent book.  Unless your 48 was uber high grade, it probably would have never been bumped.  The main issue is your tolerance with the declared value limitation because that is what CGC would consider reimbursing you IF it damaged while in their control.  Also, the best part of having all the books in the same tier is that they get shipped together.  If CGC is using registered mail for only a few books, the per book charge can be significant. 

Agreed...and I pretty much said the same thing with my last paragraph. This was my first batch and I didn't appreciate all of that when I submitted them. Live and learn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
60,548 posts
Just now, jrmutley said:

Agreed...and I pretty much said the same thing with my last paragraph. This was my first batch and I didn't appreciate all of that when I submitted them. Live and learn.

Yeah, it's a learning experience.  I've been doing it since 2002 so I have the process down pat for my liking.  Good luck with your books. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
399 posts

I just had several 25 book Value Fast Track invoices get completed in 7 days!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 posts

I've had 5 books submitted and marked status as 'Received" since February 10, but I'm seeing 'fantastic' turn around times on this thread.  

Anybody know what's up with that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 posts
19 hours ago, cbaylie said:

I've had 5 books submitted and marked status as 'Received" since February 10, but I'm seeing 'fantastic' turn around times on this thread.  

Anybody know what's up with that?

What service tier were they submitted at? I would call. I hope that I don't have to wait that long for my remaining book that was submitted at the standard tier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 posts

Economy.  But still, seems excessive to me.  I will call. Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,841 posts

CGC is on fire.  My modern fast track and Standard are taking 10 calendar days from receiving to shipping.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
158 posts
On 5/8/2020 at 10:58 AM, greggy said:

Yeah, it's a learning experience.  I've been doing it since 2002 so I have the process down pat for my liking.  Good luck with your books. 

Have you ever had a book bumped up into a higher tier and had to pay more for the service and a separate shipping fee?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
60,548 posts
1 hour ago, PickleRick1216 said:

Have you ever had a book bumped up into a higher tier and had to pay more for the service and a separate shipping fee?

Nope, all they do is charge you more for the books and ship them together.  Honestly, I haven't been bumped in years and they rarely do it.  The times where I've been bumped, it's been illogical, as they bump certain books in a submission whereas other books in the same submission don't get bumped even though they ended up being more valuable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
2 2