• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

opinion of value?
2 2

40 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, Subby1938 said:

These don’t come up often that’s fact . You don’t need to worry about provenance with third party art grading . If you need a picture of Bill sitting with art well good luck with that . In late 60s and early 70s that’s wasn’t a thing . Just seeing these drawings is a  pleasure . 

now back to topic which was price . The quoted price was a joke . That’s that. You can’t buy these at that price and there is not enough supply that’s fact ! If you like  pages they are easier to find and pricey but there . 

I personally like pin ups and Namor Everett is not easy to find . Period 

If you're going to pay HA prices for a work maybe drawn in the 1970s sold by a < 20 post boardie, be my guest.

10 minutes ago, Subby1938 said:

These don’t come up often that’s fact . You don’t need to worry about provenance with third party art grading . If you need a picture of Bill sitting with art well good luck with that . In late 60s and early 70s that’s wasn’t a thing . Just seeing these drawings is a  pleasure . 

now back to topic which was price . The quoted price was a joke . That’s that. You can’t buy these at that price and there is not enough supply that’s fact ! If you like  pages they are easier to find and pricey but there . 

I personally like pin ups and Namor Everett is not easy to find . Period 

Live auctioneers sells Jake Kilbys all the time without provenance. I’m sure a Chris Everett Submariner is coming soon. 

You know what people do ? Obviously from that post I made . Not everyone is tied into boards some go after art in that fashion . Not your cup tea your choice . 

I’ve been buying Namor art for years . I have some great artists in my collection . A Namor pin up was no easy find I def wouldn’t even be heard by an owner with ludicrous offer  4-700. 

2 hours ago, Subby1938 said:

The last sketch similar to this sold years ago . Final price with buyers premium was 1600+ US and it was more 1960s take on character . That being said you’d never find this type of drawing for 5-700.00 US that’s laughable . That’s pricing people wish they could get. It comes down to how bad do you want to own something there is almost no supply of 

Only two examples I could find 

2009 sold on Heritage $776.00

2014 sold on Heritage $1673.00

both included buyers premium and the 2014 version looked more of 60s style Namor. Heritage went on to say they have only ever offered three Namor sketches like these so they are uncommon . The prices quoted above I’m sorry I don’t agree with 4-700 US? A modern commission 11 x 17 averages 300 US that seems to be a standard price . How the heck does someone value a vintage Everett Namor that? 

94725601-D406-4206-B0C6-014417CE8A34.png

D1B35A87-B60F-4DC0-A6C1-719564EA0AA0.png

I believe all the estimates here were given in good faith. I would agree with Subby1938 though that I would expect a higher get on a Bill Everett quality sketch of Submariner. $1,000-$1500 at least.

But if the seller drops out I’m here at $702 😂

3 minutes ago, grapeape said:

Live auctioneers sells Jake Kilbys all the time without provenance. I’m sure a Chris Everett Submariner is coming soon. 

I figured people would come on here a bash . It’s ok. The art is legit that price quote is not . 

Getting provanance. What examples are you looking for exactly ? I’m curious what’s needed . If this was drawn for someone at a convention in 60s or 70s what could you possibly get 

1 minute ago, Subby1938 said:

I figured people would come on here a bash . It’s ok. The art is legit that price quote is not . 

Getting provanance. What examples are you looking for exactly ? I’m curious what’s needed . If this was drawn for someone at a convention in 60s or 70s what could you possibly get 

No no I’m not bashing you. I agree with you on your valuation of a legit Bill Everett. I am warning that some of the auction houses do little if any research when they post items for sale.

4 minutes ago, grapeape said:

I believe all the estimates here were given in good faith. I would agree with Subby1938 though that I would expect a higher get on a Bill Everett quality sketch of Submariner. $1,000-$1500 at least.

But if the seller drops out I’m here at $702 😂

Guess I'm stuck in 2009.  In fairness, as I wrote, the better the provenance the higher the ceiling.  }:-)   Jake Killby HA moments aside...

Most art I own from periods before 90s have little or no Provenance and yet nobody questions if it’s real . The art kinda speaks for itself . Only examples I have are Charles Vess. Both are real deal but I guess one could argue how do I know and wouldn’t be able to give answer. 

8 minutes ago, Subby1938 said:

I’m sorry I thought I was being bashed lol . No worries I agree . It’s up to owners to get authentication through third party . 

I’ve seen your collection. You have great examples. The thing about this board is we have members from every level of experience.

I feel like I know my stuff really well. Then I talk to guys like Mitch and Glen Gold who have even more experience then I do. 
Certainly there’s no such thing as an 8mm video or camera phone video of an artist knocking out that 1970 Con sketch. So the most important things to learn:

Study art (artists) works, pencil, ink sketch finished. Buy from reputable sources but ask questions and get expert opinion from someone OTHER then the seller.

Edited by grapeape

PSA/DNA can authenticate signatures and evaluate wether sig and art were done at same time I’m sure . I don’t think they actual verify art but I’m not sure 

Edited by Subby1938

8 hours ago, aokartman said:

many experienced dealers who screen out obvious unreal original comic art.

And of course some, intentionally?, do not.

Even when you correct them.

Not just fakes here but also dreamy type mis-attributions ;)

And this is not just a Brothers warning here :(

3 hours ago, Bill C said:

Obviously you're confused, your reading comprehension skills are poor.

Easy there ok! You don’t know  me what did I do wrong ? 

how can they be “not easy to find but have abundant supply” . Makes no sense . There  is no supply . If you can produce those 7 images I’d love to add them to my archive as I collect images for record. 

Edited by Subby1938

Anyways the piece sold in 2006 on Heritage and is legitimate Bill Everett piece. Price tag in 2006 was $ 419.00 US I’m sure it’s worth just a little more today . 

Edited by Subby1938

7 hours ago, Subby1938 said:

I’ll enjoy this one for years to come on my wall. Just for giggles I contacted Romitaman art for his thoughts on authenticity . The response “ What do you want for it ?”. 

nuff said!

currently at framers ....

4B46AD4A-AE4D-427F-9C0D-93939E006D3D.jpeg

i believe i also told you it was REAL...

I actually have 1 or possibly 2 Subby drawings by Everett similar to this...just gotta find em in my stash...LOL

Edited by romitaman

I actually saved that email lol it was pretty simple . I got my answer anyways . I’m happy just to have one of these . I don’t have lots of money to buy high end comic art and being a fan of character since early childhood this one meant a lot to get. Appreciate the response I know you’re respected in the comic community for your knowledge and access to amazing art .