• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ever had a comic creator come to your house?
2 2

48 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, oakman29 said:

Funny you may ask this question. 

I have never had a comic creator come to my home, but I  do go to Marv Wolfmans house to do his pest control every month.

mail.gif mail.gifmail.gifmail.gifmail.gif

Kav is an interesting example.  Having a home, but also being a comic book creator.

Effectively, the OP has answered his own question.

1 hour ago, Ken Aldred said:

Kav is an interesting example.  Having a home, but also being a comic book creator.

Effectively, the OP has answered his own question.

mail.gif

Ben Dunn came over once. He responded to a Craigslist ad for a Transformer toy I had listed. I played it cool until he was going out the door, "See you at the next comic con." He was a bit surprised. Couple days later he flipped the toy on eBay.

Jack Kirby did vist my house one time in a dream.  Kneel Atoms too.

13 minutes ago, spidey300 said:

Ben Dunn came over once. He responded to a Craigslist ad for a Transformer toy I had listed. I played it cool until he was going out the door, "See you at the next comic con." He was a bit surprised. Couple days later he flipped the toy on eBay.

Must be tough in the comic creator world.🤫

40 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

Must be tough in the comic creator world.🤫

mail.gifmail.gifmail.gifmail.gifmail.gifmail.gif

Yes.  I think around 35 years ago, William Messner-Loebs was doing some art at a local comic shop as a guest.  I went up to see him and he started talking to my girlfriend.  We got into a pleasant conversation about general stuff.  My Girlfriend then stated that we needed to get back to the house to cook dinner and he made some kind of comment about wanting a home cooked meal.  So we invited him to our house for a Chicken Dinner.  That was about the extent of it...we just talked about the industry.  I don't remember details from the conversation except that he was a really nice guy.

On 5/11/2020 at 3:25 PM, Mutant Manatee said:

No, but Michael W. Kaluta and Bruce Jones rode in my car one time when I took them out to dinner after a convention in Chicago.  It was a cloud nine moment for me.

I drove Mr. and Mrs. Murphy Anderson around Cincinnati once.

OK not my house - but the grocery store up the street (I live on Long Island). I trade comics with the butcher in there (One time I traded some Thor comics for a nice side of beef or something lol) anyway...a couple years ago we are standing there in the meat isle blabbing about comics and a nice woman over heard us and said "Are you talking about comics? Oh... you should talk to my husband - he is in the industry" and she disappeared around the corner into the cereal isle while my friend and I exchanged "this ought to be interesting" glances and a few moments later produced none other than one Chris Claremont. We nearly puked with excitement and disbelief and had a great chat with him. ( I guess that must have been Beth Fleisher who introduced us) The funny thing was, we were talking about his X-Men era right before she came up to us.

Edited by ivegotneatstuff

On 5/11/2020 at 12:36 PM, oakman29 said:

Funny you may ask this question. 

I have never had a comic creator come to my home, but I  do go to Marv Wolfmans house to do his pest control every month.

Ticks and fleas during the full moons, I assume... hm

13 hours ago, 143ksk said:

Dan Clowes, but we were both like 10 years old...

Gene Ha used to rent the apartment below me when I lived in St. Paul. We used to chat about comics in the lobby.

childhood friend?  what was he like?  did he draw?

27 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

I had been to Joe Sinnott's house a couple times to interview him, in the 90's. One of the nicest people you could ever meet. He loves sports, particularly baseball, and the music of Bing Crosby as much as comics. 

One of the interviews was just after Jack Kirby's death, so naturally we discussed their work together. Joe then showed me what he thought might have been the last things Kirby drew -- cover recreations of Avengers 4 and FF 49. They were with Joe to be inked, but he said he couldn't bring himself to ink what might be the last examples of Kirby's raw pencils.

I remember him pointing closely to some of the pencil lines, pointing out their fractal quality. Joe saw a shakiness in those uneven lines and took it as a sign of Kirby's failing health at the time that they were drawn.

The conversation was all over the place; how much he loved drawing Life of the Beatles for Dell, his enjoyment doing the 50's genre work that he did, especially westerns; how much work went into drawing or inking The Thing; his recollections of studying under Burne Hogarth; how Kirby couldn't draw ears and he would always have to fix them...it was always a rambling, fun visit.

I've heard it said by Glen Gold that Kirby could not even hold a pencil years before he died are you sure about when those pieces were drawn?

5 hours ago, kav said:

I've heard it said by Glen Gold that Kirby could not even hold a pencil years before he died are you sure about when those pieces were drawn?

I don't exactly know when they were drawn, Kav. I recall it was soon after Kirby had passed that we were talking. Joe pulled them out of a drawer in his studio and made that remark about them. He did say he had them for a while as he wrestled with with whether to ink them. He did not say they were done just before his death by any means, just that he thought they might have been the last things he had done. The sense I got was that they had been sitting untouched with Joe for a while.