• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archaic Phrases in Buying and Selling Online from 2000 that are Kind of Meaningless in 2020.
2 2

211 posts in this topic

So yesterday, I received an offer for something where the potential buyer made an offer at 70% of the ask with the phrase, "I am PayPal ready."

I countered but could not help but point out that it was 2020.  EVERYONE buying and selling online better be PayPal ready. 

So then it got me thinking.  When was the last time you were told upon selling something, "I can mail a check out tomorrow?" or anything else? 

Edited by Buzzetta

The PayPal ready thing irritates me.  Oh, so if we do a deal you’re ready to pay me for the goods I’m selling you?  Awesome!  You had me worried for a minute.  No carp you’re ready to pay for a purchase.  Trying to make themselves sound like big businessmen. :facepalm:

Apparently nowadays, if you make remark about "newsstand", people automatically assume you're talking about books with barcodes.

When I was growing up, it meant the rack you bought comics off of. :preach:

lol 

I want to just say that the buyer who wrote me saying that he was "PayPal ready" at $280 just asked that if he accepts my counter at $300, would I be willing to wait until Thursday for payment?

Just because I want to see his response I wrote, "Sure, but what happened to being PayPal ready?"

Edit: I have yet to hear a reply. 

8E166A71-0635-41F0-92D2-78242D311BA3.jpeg

Edited by Buzzetta

11 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

lol 

I want to just say that the buyer who wrote me saying that he was "PayPal ready" at $280 just asked that if he accepts my counter at $300, would I be willing to wait until Thursday for payment?

Just because I want to see his response I wrote, "Sure, but what happened to being PayPal ready?"

Dolt is paypal unready after all.
"Hey can you sell me the $300 book for $200?  I'LL PAY"
Like thats some huge deal-omg HE'LL PAY!  Usually I send the books out not getting paid!  OMG.

“Dutch Auction” seems to have fallen by the wayside. I used that term in a few Beanie Baby auctions back in the day, and I would occasionally get questions about my location. “Are you in the United States? How much is shipping from Holland?”.

17 hours ago, gregreece said:

Do you "bundle" pricing if I buy multiple books? No, I give you my best price on every single book every single time whether you buy 1 or 100.

I think this one is a fair question.  imo, a best price per piece includes the price of dealing with the sale: communications, order fulfillment, shipping, risk.

For a combined sale, all of these costs go down, given the big assumption that the buyer is good.

So... the decision they are asking you to make is do you trust the rep of the buyer enough to pass on some of the savings to them. If the buyer has no reputation that you can measure then the answer is 'Sorry, but no'.

23 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

So yesterday, I received an offer for something where the potential buyer made an offer at 70% of the ask with the phrase, "I am PayPal ready."

I countered but could not help but point out that it was 2020.  EVERYONE buying and selling online better be PayPal ready. 

So then it got me thinking.  When was the last time you were told upon selling something, "I can mail a check out tomorrow?" or anything else? 

The one that I get is "Best cash price".  Followed up by me with "Cash" as in benjamin's or electronic "cash" that costs me fees etc.