• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archaic Phrases in Buying and Selling Online from 2000 that are Kind of Meaningless in 2020.
2 2

211 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, jools&jim said:

Does anyone still use "OOP" (out of print) on eBay to imply that, for example, a VG Conan #105 is somehow scarce or exotic?

Yes, if the book or video is actually out of print.

For LEGO, and certain other things the term ‘retired’ is frequently used.

18 hours ago, kav said:

"I'm a veteran"

This one irritates me more than it probably should.  As a veteran, it really bugs me when people try to get discounts for their service like it's some sort of entitlement from the VA.  

On another note, Over Christmas time I had someone send me a message asking if they could have a 1/2 off price because a slabbed book was for his children.  He got upset because I wouldn't accept his $250 offer on a $500 book.  I must have forgot that it was my fault he didn't pull & pray hard enough with his wife and ended up with two kids.  

2 minutes ago, mec3437 said:

This one irritates me more than it probably should.  As a veteran, it really bugs me when people try to get discounts for their service like it's some sort of entitlement from the VA.  

On another note, Over Christmas time I had someone send me a message asking if they could have a 1/2 off price because a slabbed book was for his children.  He got upset because I wouldn't accept his $250 offer on a $500 book.  I must have forgot that it was my fault he didn't pull & pray hard enough with his wife and ended up with two kids.  

"Why should I donate $250 to your children sir?  What about MY children?  I was going to put that $500 towards their college fund.  Your children are not more important to me than my children."

"A veteran that goes around begging for other people's money essentially must have been a hell of a soldier"

"My grandmother who passed away tragically in a tragic fashion would have loved this comic if she was interested in comics and it would have reminded her of me or someone else she cared about can you sell it to me for 3/4 off?"

1 minute ago, kav said:

"My grandmother who passed away tragically in a tragic fashion would have loved this comic if she was interested in comics and it would have reminded her of me or someone else she cared about can you sell it to me for 3/4 off?"

Oh my god. That is so sad. I hope you do it. 

1 minute ago, mec3437 said:

The more current phrasing of "Freshly Graded/Slabbed" or some bullcrap along those lines.  It sounds like they're trying to sell fruits and vegetables on the roadside.  "I picked this 9.8 fresh off the vine!"  

"This book was graded just a MONTH ago!"
"AHEM-my copy was graded a WEEK ago"

It's like they are giving buyer permission to submit to CGC.  Gee Thanks.

"VF/NM" ..... a lot of bulk dealers use this or "VERY GOOD CONDITION" ... to save their asses as blanket grades .. a comic only has one grade and they use this because they're too lazy or don't have the time to place a grade with their reputation on the line .. so it may fall VF- or NM- above or below that

Edited by littledoom