• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archaic Phrases in Buying and Selling Online from 2000 that are Kind of Meaningless in 2020.
2 2

211 posts in this topic

31 minutes ago, WoWitHurts said:

Then why have "Make offer" option?

Because it eliminates the need to contact us for the "best price". That said, some folks like to reach out directly, which is fine. I think you may have missed my point though. We're always going to give you the best price we can whether you ask about 1 book, 10 books, or 100 books. If I'm "bundling" you are only getting the best price if you purchase a certain number of books.

15 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

That's a concave knife, which I am familiar with, as I cook a lot.  I thought the original post was about a convex knife.

2 hours ago, Turtle said:

"Bone White Pages"

is that fresh  yellow bones?  Sun-bleached bones?  Bones with some flesh still attached?

6 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

"Gem Mint" (card term) creeping over and replacing "Pristine Mint," the long-established comics term for a virtually flawless copy. .... (Oh, and of course the overuse of both terms over the years...)

That's because Gemma works at CGC, and Pristine lives next door to the PGX garage.

22 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

"Gem Mint" (card term) creeping over and replacing "Pristine Mint," the long-established comics term for a virtually flawless copy. .... (Oh, and of course the overuse of both terms over the years...)

I had three Spider-mans - a 16, 19 and 21 that I purchased in 1979 (I think) that had pristine mint labels.  I look back at them now, and it was an accurate description of their grades.

I wish that dealer had had more of them.  And their covers and pages are bone white - bleached-bone white.

Edited by lizards2
they look like I bought them off the newsstand...., but I'm not that old.

A lot of sellers need to understand that comics are rarely ever "mint condition".. see it all the time especially next to 90s comics.. even new shipments from diamond aren't nm and sealed polybagged comics are prone to defects

"Purchased as NM/M!"

... but then read multiple times in the bathroom, rolled up and used to kill a spider or two, left out in the backyard for a week in the summer, folded in half to fit in my back pocket while riding my bicycle over to Jimmy's house to show him but really so I could use an excuse to see his hot older sister, etc.  Possibly NM- now!

This [$1.50 book] is a Fine, but could easily be pressed and cleaned into a NM- or better copy [at a cost of $40 to make it worth $3.25]....

oh wait a minute, that's not a 2000 listing, that's a 2020 listing!

(or a listing on a less expensive restored book saying the restoration can be removed...)

Edited by the blob

2 hours ago, littledoom said:

A lot of sellers need to understand that comics are rarely ever "mint condition".. see it all the time especially next to 90s comics.. even new shipments from diamond aren't nm and sealed polybagged comics are prone to defects

Many folks are under the impression that common 90s books in 9.9 - 10.0 condition can easily be pulled in bulk out of the dollar box of your choice.

6 hours ago, lizards2 said:
7 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:
16 hours ago, lizards2 said:

Thanks - I was having trouble understanding that myself.  Now I get it.  The blade has a crescent shape to it.  You need a convex cutting board to make it work.  I better check Amazon for that cutting board....., hm

Ah, but a chef's knife is designed to be rolled, so a crescent shaped knife would be fine, unless you don't know how to use it. Then I guess you're going to see that there's space between the knife and the board everywhere except in one spot

I did not know that.

The problem here is its concave, not convex crescent.

pages bone white-bleached out so literally completely white pages!!