• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archaic Phrases in Buying and Selling Online from 2000 that are Kind of Meaningless in 2020.
2 2

211 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, serling1978 said:

Ugghhhh eBay sellers claiming books are unread is the most annoying thing in the world. Thanks for the completely irrelevant, unprovable claims random ebay seller. 

One other thing that doesn't really fit in this thread that drives me crazy are eBay sellers who list the "grab bag" sales. Even if they do actually own the grail that they list is possible to win, with absolutely no accountability or system of checks and balances why would they supposedly randomly box it up for someone to potentially win?? Maybe some people here do those on eBay and could validate them as real, but jaded me says they are all scams :preach:

some people have won big keys I remember a guy once won ASM #50! .. but thats a minority

3 hours ago, littledoom said:

I think we all know who Todd McFarlane is so no need for sellers to add he's the Spawn Spider-Man Batman Artist all in the title

But, what if you want to trick buyers of Spider-Man and Batman into buying Spawn?  

Matthew 7:9 - You have to show them Spawn when they search for Batman.  (New Comic-Con International Version)

15 hours ago, serling1978 said:

One other thing that doesn't really fit in this thread that drives me crazy are eBay sellers who list the "grab bag" sales

ebay states that chance auctions are not allowed but they never remove them when you report even when you call and speak to someone.  Same with fund raisers-some dude had a fund raiser for a temple and I called over and over and rep always said omg yes we dont allow that!  But it never got removed.  Frustrating.  Is is a rule or isnt it????  JUST TELL US.

Missing the back cover and centerfold, rat chew on bottom and top of spine, waterstains on cover. Otherwise this a great book that would be perfect for any collection. CGC it!

29 minutes ago, Larryw7 said:

Missing the back cover and centerfold, rat chew on bottom and top of spine, waterstains on cover. Otherwise this a great book that would be perfect for any collection. CGC it!

Perfect pristine gem mint condition aside from all that haha

My PayPal ready buyer never came through... go figure...

someone else bought the item at the price I wanted.  Apparently you don’t have to announce you are PayPal ready to BE PayPal ready. 

6 hours ago, kav said:

Just like in a street fight "I'll kick your ***!" is code for "There is no way I am actually going to fight you".

That's not always true. lol Here in New York, people uphold their end of a bargain.  

Subway on the L train, "If you get close to me again, I'm gonna beat the s out of you."  Guy squeezes near so he can get on the train, Someone upheld their bargain.

"Say that again, I'm going to smack the s out of you." Girl said it again on the platform.  Girl got the s smacked out of her.

4 hours ago, kav said:

Exactly-they did not use the key phrase "I'm going to kick your a**".  This is a known cliche phrase for non-fighters.  Actual brawlers will say similar to what you observed.  I have witnessed many many f you! fights where the 2 opponents square off and say f you! no f you!  oh yeah f you!  This goes on for a few minutes then both walk away mumbling f him!

I have heard I am going to kick your a and seen it followed through.  What you are saying is not true.  Therefore for anyone to actually follow this advice that if someone yells at you that are going to kick your a**, there are many instances where it is not a trope but something that may be followed through with. 

For anyone who thinks I am being sensationalistic I have a wonderful hobby of taking pictures of all the nonsense I see on the subways and LIRR... You know how when there is a fight and people start to scatter?  I get closer and take out my cell phone to take pictures and video. 

It makes the commute more interesting.  

Edited by Buzzetta

1 minute ago, kav said:

I have been in maybe a dozen street fights, maybe 50+ altercations, including taking a rifle away from angry person, and witnessed dozens more.  All I can speak from is my own experience.  I've only seen "I'm gonna kick your a**!" as a weak threat never followed up on.

All that tells me is that you need to take an anger management or violence prevention course. 

:baiting: lol

3 minutes ago, kav said:

I hate bullies.  I have personally been told "I'm gonna kick your a**! over 2 dozen times.  I always say I accept your challenge.  They always wander off or get back in car trying to salvage self respect with a hard look while I grin at them.

I will pay so long as you continually update me on your progress.   

https://courseforanger.com/

Side note... I just signed up for a 12 issue subscription with Marvel Comics for my ASM fix.  Now what is interesting about that.  Midtown Comics does not (or I overlooked it) offer a single title subscription.  However, once I confirmed my order for ASM through Marvel itself, I was notified that Midtown Comics will be fulfilling the order.    Wouldn't it simply be cheaper if Midtown offered single title subscriptions on their own?  I am sure they are paying Marvel some type of finder's fee to be the facilitator of these orders.