• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archaic Phrases in Buying and Selling Online from 2000 that are Kind of Meaningless in 2020.
2 2

211 posts in this topic

On 5/15/2020 at 7:11 PM, Buzzetta said:

I have heard I am going to kick your a and seen it followed through.  What you are saying is not true.  Therefore for anyone to actually follow this advice that if someone yells at you that are going to kick your a**, there are many instances where it is not a trope but something that may be followed through with. 

For anyone who thinks I am being sensationalistic I have a wonderful hobby of taking pictures of all the nonsense I see on the subways and LIRR... You know how when there is a fight and people start to scatter?  I get closer and take out my cell phone to take pictures and video. 

It makes the commute more interesting.  

And where do I subscribe to your youtube channel?

On 5/15/2020 at 7:29 PM, Buzzetta said:

I will pay so long as you continually update me on your progress.   

https://courseforanger.com/

Side note... I just signed up for a 12 issue subscription with Marvel Comics for my ASM fix.  Now what is interesting about that.  Midtown Comics does not (or I overlooked it) offer a single title subscription.  However, once I confirmed my order for ASM through Marvel itself, I was notified that Midtown Comics will be fulfilling the order.    Wouldn't it simply be cheaper if Midtown offered single title subscriptions on their own?  I am sure they are paying Marvel some type of finder's fee to be the facilitator of these orders. 

I think you can create a pull list from Midtown that's shipped. Maybe look into that?

54 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

And where do I subscribe to your youtube channel?

Facebook only and sometimes Instagram 

53 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

I think you can create a pull list from Midtown that's shipped. Maybe look into that?

Not for one title and I will never buy into another nine titles to warrant that pull list.  So I do it through marvel and midtown fulfills it losing (probably) more money than if they would just do one title on their own. 

"BRIGHT".... as CGC seemingly does not care about cover gloss or color depth, everyone else stopped caring. Old books that had great colors and a lot of gloss, but a couple of defects, were still sought after.

18 minutes ago, the blob said:

"BRIGHT".... as CGC seemingly does not care about cover gloss or color depth, everyone else stopped caring. Old books that had great colors and a lot of gloss, but a couple of defects, were still sought after.

True. Cause I may be bad, but I'm perfectly good! Sticks and stones may break my bones, but chains and whips excite me! :whistle:Rihanna :banana:

GetImage.aspx?c=3642137&t=Full&f=Obv&cb=

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

20 minutes ago, the blob said:

I actually care for darkness, vivid colors, gloss ... goes a along way to me

22 hours ago, littledoom said:

I actually care for darkness, vivid colors, gloss ... goes a along way to me

You. But CGC seemingly does not. So most others have followed suit. Obviously if you have your choice and they have the same # on the slab, go for the vibrant colors. I still get excited when I see a 50+ year old comic with great colors.

On 5/11/2020 at 11:53 AM, Larryw7 said:

All comics will include a bag and a board!

Don’t make fun of this one.  I recently bought a rare SDCC TMNT/Usagi that only originally came carefully packaged with an action figure.  I have the figure and book (still stored with the figure) so was pleasantly surprised for the first time ever to see the book for sale alone on eBay.  I purchased it so as to store it with my run of Usagi’s and was dismayed when it arrived quite damaged as the seller did not bag or board the book.  I was shocked people would just mail a book without bagging and boarding it these days.  What is even more shocking as this is a somewhat rare book that by virtue of getting it at SDCC is in collectors hands.  Needless to say bad feedback was left, I got a refund and will never buy from that seller again.

2 hours ago, david20009 said:

Don’t make fun of this one.  I recently bought a rare SDCC TMNT/Usagi that only originally came carefully packaged with an action figure.  I have the figure and book (still stored with the figure) so was pleasantly surprised for the first time ever to see the book for sale alone on eBay.  I purchased it so as to store it with my run of Usagi’s and was dismayed when it arrived quite damaged as the seller did not bag or board the book.  I was shocked people would just mail a book without bagging and boarding it these days.  What is even more shocking as this is a somewhat rare book that by virtue of getting it at SDCC is in collectors hands.  Needless to say bad feedback was left, I got a refund and will never buy from that seller again.

they need to be securely fasted also.. some sellers just place comics in an envelope loose.. it can slide around and get impact crunches etc!

Man, just getting caught up on this thread. THis takes me back. My observations:

1. Dutch auctions - hahaha man that really takes me back. Haven't thought about that term in ages.

2. OOP is still a perfectly suitable term for HC's and TPB's that are, indeed, out of print. Prices tend to skyrocket on OOP volumes. It's legit. But as for individual comic issues, unless there is a second or higher printing, all comics are pretty much out of print as soon as they hit the shops. So that is, indeed, dumb.

3. This is a chance for me to make right. You see, folks, nearly 20 years ago, I was a "CGC It" guy. CGC was relatively new, and if I had a book I thought would be a legit candidate, I'd use the term "CGC It" in the eBay auction title. It's true! It didn't take long for me to receive a couple of strongly worded messages from folks letting me know that this was "spamming" and definitely not cool. So, I stopped! I've since then come to assume that they were probably boardies (who else is nosier and more inclined to police the comics business of others than CGC Boardies?) and maybe they're still around. If so, I apologized then, I apologize now. I WAS YOUNG AND I NEEDED THE MONEY!

FYI--- for those not willing to look it up on google, here is the definition:

A Dutch auction is a public offering auction structure in which the price of the offering is set after taking in all bids to determine the highest price at which the total offering can be sold. In this type of auction, investors place a bid for the amount they are willing to buy in terms of quantity and price.

also--- my brother is on anger management medication. I wouldn't say he is a violent person but he used to get very angry easily. The meds have done wonders for that thankfully.

4 hours ago, F For Fake said:

3. This is a chance for me to make right. You see, folks, nearly 20 years ago, I was a "CGC It" guy. CGC was relatively new, and if I had a book I thought would be a legit candidate, I'd use the term "CGC It" in the eBay auction title. It's true! It didn't take long for me to receive a couple of strongly worded messages from folks letting me know that this was "spamming" and definitely not cool. So, I stopped! I've since then come to assume that they were probably boardies (who else is nosier and more inclined to police the comics business of others than CGC Boardies?) and maybe they're still around. If so, I apologized then, I apologize now. I WAS YOUNG AND I NEEDED THE MONEY!

:applause:

The problem with "CGC it" is that CGC grades all comics, so every raw comic... ever... could be listed with "CGC it" in the title, and there was nothing special about any of them. 

Since you admit you were young and needed the money, now that you know better, what percentage of those books you listed with "CGC it" would you actually pay to send to CGC today?