• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your horror mag recommendations: Great art AND stories
2 2

17 posts in this topic

In the mood for some mag reading.  Horror, to be specific.  It's been very hit or miss for me... some issues have awesome art but really dumb / not scary nor funny stories, others vice-versa.

What would be your suggestions for mags that are strong in both respects?  Any era welcomed.  Much appreciated in advance!

27 minutes ago, Jayman said:

Can’t go wrong with early issues of Creepy or Eerie from Warren. For a different flavor of horror you might want to check out the Skywald mags too!

Appreciate it, will check out Skywald!  Any Creepy/Eerie issues you remember especially liking, by any chance (or do they kinda blend together)?

It may be from having read a bunch of PCH anthologies -- some of which legit gave me nightmares -- but getting that fix is somethin' else. lol

Edited by exitmusicblue

Just in general, the early Creepy and Eerie are a high point.  A lot of people consider them to have gone downhill very, very fast when Archie Goodwin left as the primary writer.  They improved again, but for Creepy the first 17 issues are the sweet spot.  Not sure where the cut off on Eerie was.

Eye of the Beholder from Eerie 2 (Jay Taycee at his best! :whistle:) has always been one of my favorites along with Werewolf from Creepy 1 (The GOAT draws his last published comic work :headbang:).  Also Hatchet Man from Eerie 4 (Who doesn't love ink washes from Gene Colan??!!).  Pretty much any of Steve Ditko's work on Warren magazine is must reading, IMO.  There's a collected volume by Dark Horse but I most enjoy them in the original mags.  Here's a quick preview:

https://www.cbr.com/steve-ditko-warren-creepy-eerie/

1 hour ago, Randall Dowling said:

Eye of the Beholder from Eerie 2 (Jay Taycee at his best! :whistle:) has always been one of my favorites along with Werewolf from Creepy 1 (The GOAT draws his last published comic work :headbang:).  Also Hatchet Man from Eerie 4 (Who doesn't love ink washes from Gene Colan??!!).  Pretty much any of Steve Ditko's work on Warren magazine is must reading, IMO.  There's a collected volume by Dark Horse but I most enjoy them in the original mags.  Here's a quick preview:

https://www.cbr.com/steve-ditko-warren-creepy-eerie/

Yes to this and also Ditko’s ink washes! Blew my mind as a kid seeing this other side of Ditko’s talent away from Marvel! One story (I can’t remember the name) had awesome Ditko ink wash art with a man reliving a tale and you kept seeing a closeup of his face throughout The story. As the tale ends you see it is a big axe lodged into the man’s skull. Incredible artwork!

On 5/12/2020 at 2:02 PM, Jayman said:

Yes to this and also Ditko’s ink washes! Blew my mind as a kid seeing this other side of Ditko’s talent away from Marvel! One story (I can’t remember the name) had awesome Ditko ink wash art with a man reliving a tale and you kept seeing a closeup of his face throughout The story. As the tale ends you see it is a big axe lodged into the man’s skull. Incredible artwork!

It’s cool seeing Bill Everett away from Marvel too.  He does a story in this one.

Psycho #3.jpg