• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Happy Mother’s Day! How did Mom/Grandmother shape your comics life
4 4

55 posts in this topic

She kept telling me to quit wasting my money on buying comic books.

And when I'd leave them out, she'd lovingly do math equations on them, and use them as drink coasters.

I remember when I got the Gerber GA guides, and she was looking through the Captain America covers, and recognized a ton of the covers, as books she had during WW II.

Mom made many appearances in my nightmares, as The Lizard from Spider-Man comic books. 

R.I.P. Mom!

Comic books were always an outlet for me - I used my allowance for them and eventually my grandmother and aunt caught on on started getting me monthly subscriptions ( those were the days ....) my mom always supported my habit - which is ironic as my wife prefers to guilt me ... can’t say I blame her to a degree , in here’s a lot of long boxes here :foryou:

In a nutshell thanks to my grandmother , aunt and mom for seeing comics as an outlet for a kid and helping him read  

A few years ago (when that Action #1 was being auctioned off), I called her and asked if I could borrow a few bucks to buy a comic book. She knew I was a lifelong collector and she didn't hesitate to say yes. She asked how much I needed and when I told her $1.7 million, she hung up.

My Mom got me started in this hobby. Some kids came to our house selling Tom Wat for some fundraiser one year and she bought me my first subscription to Captain Marvel. It was all over after that lol 

Late 60s, she bought me my first comic when I was 3 or 4 years old, a British Marvel reprint title, Fantastic 1. This reprinted X-Men, not FF, as you might think, and they've been my favourite team ever since that early an age.

Mid 70s, she, or my grandmother, often gave me 50p to buy some comics from the bus station newsstand after we'd been to the nearby food market. Basically a bribe to get me away so that they could have some time by themselves in the nearby cafe.

My mom always bought baseball cards for me, her and my step-dad both.

I was allowed to send my own cash through the mail to Marvel for a comic subscription.....

I think the first time, she said you can spend you're own money, and I was 7 or 8 and asked is it ok to send cash in the mail? what about a check?

She said something like, well send your cash this 1st time, if you end up with a subscription then next time we'll send a check...... :devil: 

uh huh

So GOOD 'OLE MARVEL did get me a subscription to ASM "classics" and the Wolverine ongoing. I don't remember a "next time" that we ended up sending a check. But I had discovered video games and bicycles and girls and music and guitar, among a few smokables .....

@aardvark88 why the confusion?

anyway I love my mom, got her some white chocolate lindts truffles and some chocolate covered strawberries 

Made it by late and wasn't able to get too many of the white chocolate strawberries, so maybe I'll go by today and see if they're are more, maybe they're even on sale now lol