• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1980 Marvel Calendar Art

17 posts in this topic

A few years ago, I acquired this original art from the 1980 Marvel Calendar, signed by Stan Lee and the artist Peter Ledger.  This page was the “Mystical Message from Stan the Man”.  Does anyone have a crude idea of value?

F5063ECD-ACD2-4017-B4ED-CFD4CF2C0C1C.jpeg

1C12AF35-8B67-4263-9B93-AC286267A759.jpeg

383CBA85-9932-4E18-9DFF-6DC04CB3EAEC.jpeg

Edited by Danno561

Very cool piece from a vintage Marvel calendar— I own Pollard’s Defenders pin-up art used for August. FMV is hard to peg for a Stan Lee drawing by an artist best know for his work on Disney’s Uncle Scrooge...Heritage archives shows 20 pieces sold between $500 - $2500.  I’d say upper end of that range given the Marvel lineage and perhaps label it a “Frontispiece” (always loved that word) to maximize value. That’s my 2c    

FYI, below is the published Defenders pin-up from the August calendar:

B6A65EAC-EED6-4237-B478-A9868E6DCCEE.thumb.jpeg.1eb849d5768f19f6d180474984ce3c34.jpeg

34 minutes ago, GreatEscape said:

Very cool piece from a vintage Marvel calendar— I own Pollard’s Defenders pin-up art used for August. FMV is hard to peg for a Stan Lee drawing by an artist best know for his work on Disney’s Uncle Scrooge...Heritage archives shows 20 pieces sold between $500 - $2500.  I’d say upper end of that range given the Marvel lineage and perhaps label it a “Frontispiece” (always loved that word) to maximize value. That’s my 2c    

B6A65EAC-EED6-4237-B478-A9868E6DCCEE.thumb.jpeg.1eb849d5768f19f6d180474984ce3c34.jpeg

Uncle Scrooge! Lol. Anything near the midpoint of that range would be fantastic.  Thanks for your input.  I had the signature authenticated by PSA/DNA, thinking this might help marketing it in the future.

7 hours ago, Danno561 said:

Uncle Scrooge! Lol. Anything near the midpoint of that range would be fantastic.  Thanks for your input.  I had the signature authenticated by PSA/DNA, thinking this might help marketing it in the future.

I think it has to be 2-3k also, my head was in the same space, just as a Stan Lee artifact. Artist is almost irrelevant.    I would end it to heritage and see what happens.   Surprise to the upside would not be expected but would not be impossible IMO

Edited by Bronty

20 hours ago, Danno561 said:

A few years ago, I acquired this original art from the 1980 Marvel Calendar, signed by Stan Lee and the artist Peter Ledger.  This page was the “Mystical Message from Stan the Man”.  Does anyone have a crude idea of value?

F5063ECD-ACD2-4017-B4ED-CFD4CF2C0C1C.jpeg

1C12AF35-8B67-4263-9B93-AC286267A759.jpeg

383CBA85-9932-4E18-9DFF-6DC04CB3EAEC.jpeg

Great piece - congrats!

19 hours ago, GreatEscape said:

Would love to see the art! Congrats!

The man has his place in history whether folks like it or not. Without Stan a lot would be different. Not sure if all of us had the chance to meet him in person, or listen to a live interview. He was an incredible person. 
In my opinion any published art that shows him has quite a value. Nuff said.

1 hour ago, wurstisart said:

The man has his place in history whether folks like it or not. Without Stan a lot would be different. Not sure if all of us had the chance to meet him in person, or listen to a live interview. He was an incredible person. 
In my opinion any published art that shows him has quite a value. Nuff said.

My only encounter with Stan Lee was when we were walking down side streets in Hollywood.  He was being driven around in a Rolls Royce convertible that had to stop  at the corner to let my wife and I cross the street. With my wife and I just smiling, he nonchalantly waved at us. 

13 hours ago, GreatEscape said:

As requested...here's an old photo (ca 2010), oversized 19" x 19" so too big for my Mustak twice-up scanner.  A classic Defenders shot by Pollard with deep Sinnott inks! :cloud9:

1112988846_DefendersCalendarPollard.thumb.jpeg.05a05de69b216777ab874a07a755c42e.jpeg

Beautiful piece - thanks for sharing!!!

22 hours ago, Danno561 said:

My only encounter with Stan Lee was when we were walking down side streets in Hollywood.  He was being driven around in a Rolls Royce convertible that had to stop  at the corner to let my wife and I cross the street. With my wife and I just smiling, he nonchalantly waved at us. 

Well that’s an awesome and memorable encounter !!