• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A bit of tape on a 7.0 GA. What do you think?
1 1

39 posts in this topic

On 5/13/2020 at 5:56 PM, batman_fan said:

Here is the closest comp I could find, restored 7.5, slight.  Sold in 2020 so pretty current sell.  I would say this book should be similar in price since ultimately it is restored even if it has a blue label.

Screen Shot 2020-05-13 at 6.54.07 PM.png

Thanks for posting this.  It’s a good reference point,for that 7.0

Regarding ticks along the spine.  Here’s an 8.0.  I don’t know much about CGC grading standards but I i assume they are a bit more lax with GAs than the newer ones (Bronze and newer).

The spine ticks on this and the tear on the back cover (bottom right) bother me for this grade.  I assume this is acceptable for 8.0 GA and not an outlier?

its at comicconnect 

9.7k which isn’t bad given last sale of 8.0 was way back in 2013 for 6.75k

thanks again for the input

58A3DF6B-CF07-4B16-87C6-6D0BD91728F1.jpeg

3AA28490-C761-4665-A24C-969993549486.jpeg

I'd rather buy a 4.5 that looks like this than some of these "higher grade" copies at more than twice the price, or the case of the 8.0, 5 times the price. 

imageproxy.php?img=&key=c846ed7a40be7761lf.thumb.jpg.f06c71e090825697c2760281a48e4dbf.jpg

Edited by rjpb

18 minutes ago, DocHoppus182 said:

Wouldn’t it be a conserved label (blue with gray strip) if it had archival tape.  I didn’t think that fell under the purple label anymore.

Typically, yes 

18 hours ago, rjpb said:

While it can vary from book to book, overall, grading standards are clearly more lax for Golden Age than the more recent eras, but that 8.0 is particularly weak. 

The colors on the front cover aren’t “vibrant “ at all on the 8.0.   I’m not sure if it’s the lighting in the photo, but compared to the 4.5 just posted, the 8.0 colors, particularly the yellow is washed out.  It might be the lighting because with the 4.5 just posted, the CGC label appears more vibrant as well.  

18 hours ago, rjpb said:

I'd rather buy a 4.5 that looks like this than some of these "higher grade" copies at more than twice the price, or the case of the 8.0, 5 times the price. 

imageproxy.php?img=&key=c846ed7a40be7761lf.thumb.jpg.f06c71e090825697c2760281a48e4dbf.jpg

Beautiful 4.5.  The colors are vibrant.  Love the yellow.

thanks for posting this.

1 hour ago, dm3 said:

The colors on the front cover aren’t “vibrant “ at all on the 8.0.   I’m not sure if it’s the lighting in the photo, but compared to the 4.5 just posted, the 8.0 colors, particularly the yellow is washed out.  It might be the lighting because with the 4.5 just posted, the CGC label appears more vibrant as well.  

Heritage tends to amp their scans, overbright and strong saturation, and scanners can be all over the place depending on the settings and the brand. In my experience I've found it difficult to get all the colors to look "true" in the same scan, tweaking the blues will oversaturate the reds, etc. 

I would not assume the yellow in the Metro scan and the Heritage scan are different in hand.

31 minutes ago, rjpb said:

Heritage tends to amp their scans, overbright and strong saturation, and scanners can be all over the place depending on the settings and the brand. In my experience I've found it difficult to get all the colors to look "true" in the same scan, tweaking the blues will oversaturate the reds, etc. 

I would not assume the yellow in the Metro scan and the Heritage scan are different in hand.

Which creates some hell for buyers if you are trying to see what the color brightness/quality  is on notorious faders like Fiction House or those pesky 1950’s DC comics...:frown: 

2 hours ago, N e r V said:

Which creates some hell for buyers if you are trying to see what the color brightness/quality  is on notorious faders like Fiction House or those pesky 1950’s DC comics...:frown: 

having owned over 100 Batman 47s (including the 7.0 started in this thread) I can tell you with certainty that 4.5 is not near that “bright”. 

Edited by G.A.tor

5 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

having owned over 100 Batman 47s (including the 7.0 started in this thread) I can tell you with certainty that 4.5 is not near that “bright”. 

Weren’t you the one that bought an X-Men #1 or something that you tried to return because of Heritages “image” issues...:frown:

10 minutes ago, N e r V said:

Weren’t you the one that bought an X-Men #1 or something that you tried to return because of Heritages “image” issues...:frown:

Yes... scan made book look bone white. It was cream when I got it. 

17 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

👍thanks

21 hours ago, rjpb said:

I was going to make this point. A tipoff is the label. Labels are never that bright and faded in hand. 

I also have trouble getting my scanner to represent the book accurately. I'll tweak the settings ... which usually makes it look worse!

17 hours ago, G.A.tor said:
18 hours ago, N e r V said:

Yes... scan made book look bone white. It was cream when I got it. 

Did they take it back? hm

16 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I was going to make this point. A tipoff is the label. Labels are never that bright and faded in hand. 

I also have trouble getting my scanner to represent the book accurately. I'll tweak the settings ... which usually makes it look worse!

I shoot for getting the dominant color closest, usually, though I can't get darker green to ever look right. I have a fairly cheap scanner, so I end up tweaking them once in the scanner settings, and then again in Preview to get close to what they look like in hand, but sometimes have to take a photograph to get there for slabs. 

I would normally say no biggie on the label color in this instance because it's more like they're just keeping the detached flake together with the rest of the book rather than trying to pass the book off as whole or actually restoring it. 

I'd say give it the grade it would have without the tape and let it be blue, but that's a fair sized chip they've reattached and this book is more deserving of a 5.5 or so.