• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DC Rebirth #1 Ongoing Special Editions Variants?

2 posts in this topic

So in data-basing books today in Collectorz/Comic Collector app, several of the DC #1's of the Rebirth ongoing series came up as "special editions".  I think I remember seeing some issues of these books that actually had a different banner on the FC I think denoting "special edition", or something along those lines with different covers?  These however do not.  They have the same cover as issue 1A but the barcode/sku is different, as is other things of note as listed below for Aquaman #1:

• under barcode says dccomics.com where the regular version says direct sales Aug 2016
  • Indicia reads Aquaman: Rebirth #1 Special Edition Dec 2018
  • Inside had ads for the first 3 TPB's of the series where I would think the regular #1 would not as those wouldn't have even been printed yet
  • BC has a green cover Lego ad whereas the regular version has an ad for a TNT show called Animal Kingdom

So the more I think about it, these are very reminiscent of the DCU variants from back in the day except there is no way to differentiate them if you were looking at them in a comic store in a bag/board without knowing the subtle difference in the UPC sku, and the wording beneath it instead of a huge DCU logo in the UPC box.  Some sellers have them on ebay listed as the special editions for very cheap.  I think I got all these comics in either 5 Below or Ollies multi-pack bundles; again, very similar to the old DCU variants being sold in multi-packs.

Anyhow, just thought some other boardies might find this interesting if they were not aware of these.  I'm assuming their quantities might be limited compared to the regular printings, or maybe not.  Thoughts?

Regular UPC

787690053_aquamanRebirth_1A_stock.jpg.fe8d182735cab27dd8a7436d6d877480.jpg

Special Edition UPC

aquamanRebirth_#1specialEd_9.4+_fr.jpg

Edited by gradejunky

This is great info... thanks for sharing.

My suspicion is though, that in the absence of other visible signifiers (like gold ink, DC universe logos, or Roman numerals) these may be just too obscure to catch on...