• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Walking Dead #1
2 2

84 posts in this topic

What is Walking Dead #1 in CGC 9.8 selling for right now?  The cheapest one on EBAY right now is $2,200 but I doubt that's the current market value.  What would be a fair price today $1,700?  $1,800?

It's so sad what the writers/producers did to this show.  My entire family used to watch the show every week plus we watched Talking Dead.  It was a family event every weekend.  Today I'm the only one left.   I work in law enforcement and pretty much everyone I worked with used to watch the show.  Today I'm one of the few who still watch the show.  Political correctness and asinine plot lines have killed the show.  Recently I rewatched the first 5 seasons and it's so much better than the trash they are throwing out every weekend.  

I'm trying to think of another hit show that went this bad.  I know Dexter had a lousy last season but that was only one season.  The Walking Dead has been bad for many seasons and this has really hurt the comic value.  Hopefully the three Rick movies will be good but if the same people who are writing/directing the show are involved in the movie I doubt it.  

I think 1700 - 1800 is the range right now.  Has not went down as much as I thought it would but could continue to dip.

On a related note, the PS4 VR game Walking Dead: Saints and Sinners just released this past week and it is amazing.  Maybe the brand can stay relevant after all.

Edited by Broke as a Joke

Do you currently watch the show?  I'm in law enforcement and work with mostly men.  90% of them have stopped watching the show. I work in a very diverse building so the men are from every color/religion/culture you can think of.  If you have watched the entire series have you noticed anything that might turn off a high percentage of the male viewership?  Have you watched Fear the Walking Dead?  That show might be the worst show on TV.  It was ok the first couple of seasons but the last season was horrendous.  The writers for these two shows obviously have an agenda and it's turning off a large segment of their viewership.

There's lots of reasons why people stop watching TV shows and when you lose millions of male viewers there has to be a reason.  When I ask the men I work with why they stopped watching it was the same answer.  My best buddy who lives in Kansas, who also happens to work for law enforcement says his coworkers stopped watching for the same reasons.

I will continue to watch the show until it ends.  I keep hoping they will get new writers/directors and return the show to how it used to be.  Years ago I could not go one day without hearing someone discuss the show.  I would hear people discuss it at work and at various stores.  It was a huge hit.   It's been months since I have heard anyone discuss the show and when it's brought up it's always negative.  

The Walking Dead TV show really helped the comic industry.  It brought many people into the hobby and it's a shame how the show has changed.  

8 hours ago, raybowles said:

When I ask the men I work with why they stopped watching it was the same answer.  My best buddy who lives in Kansas, who also happens to work for law enforcement says his coworkers stopped watching for the same reasons.

so what's the reason/agenda? (I mean specifically, not just some vague catch-all term like it being 'too PC')

Edited by Sauce Dog

12 hours ago, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

"Political correctness ..."

What do you mean by this statement?

Its funny ... I Just had a Facebook chat with a black/Puerto Rican friend who basically said he tried to watch and just can't take the racist undertones on the show and is giving up at season 5? Obviously I don't really see it, but 20 other people just chimed in and pointed out all the racial stuff in the show they found offensive. So I guess it is all your lense. Not sure how having gay characters makes it politically correct. The creators have tried hard the last few years to paint a world where race isn't an issue. Quite possibly that happens after 10 years of this, who knows? Nobody has the time or energy for that nonsense?

9 hours ago, raybowles said:

It has nothing to do with race or gay characters.  Since we can't discuss politics I'm leaving it there.  It's not that hard to figure out.

I'm guessing it's putting women in all the leadership roles but that's not a political topic so I'm back to having no idea what straw man you and your friends are getting all worked up about.

Nobody is  getting worked up. I still watch the show. The show has lost millions and millions of viewers so it's not just my friends that have this opinion.

The main point of my post was what's the current value of WD #1 and how the show losing its popularity hurt the comic value.

It was not to discuss political correctness.

Edited by raybowles

2 hours ago, raybowles said:

The show has lost millions and millions of viewers so it's not just my friends that have this opinion.

This could be from many factors, not all from a shared opinion (which you won't share for some reason) - including the show itself being as formulaic and repetitive as the comics were after a few volumes. All shows that exist for so many seasons see such a drop off, with only the most devoted fanbase sticking around (Supernatural comes to mind). The comic value itself might have just been inflated by the earlier popular series, and now is seeing the price stabilize (though I'm sure it will see some long term growth, especially towards the end of the series and eventual revival as most shows have at one point or another).

Edited by Sauce Dog

1 hour ago, raybowles said:

Nobody is  getting worked up. I still watch the show. The show has lost millions and millions of viewers so it's not just my friends that have this opinion.

The main point of my post was what's the current value of WD #1 and how the show losing its popularity hurt the comic value.

It was not to discuss political correctness.

I thought the show lost millions of viewers because it sucked. Every season followed the same plot arc, cheap gimmicks/cliffhangers to keep people watching (Glenn's fake death), death roulette story telling, etc. 

Just spit out what you mean. People obviously don't know what you are referencing. 

My take on the eroding quality is that Kirkman and his comic plots were cast aside in favor of ideas from people in the tv business who think they know better than the creator. They were wrong in this case, but who are the powers that be going to side with - their cronies who they hired to deliver the product or the outsider who brought in the original idea? 

(shrug)

Walking dead comic prices are coming off (have been over five years) because they were overinflated in value to begin with.  Speculators drove it up - like everything else.  Number 1 will always be valuable, what it will bottom at, $500, $700, $1000, $1500, etc. is anyone's guess but it's on a downtrend that isn't likely to reverse anytime soon.

6 hours ago, SuperBird said:

The ratings went down because the show sucked. It always did, it just took people a while to realize. 

In season 7 I think they were drawing 20 million people a week.  Not bad for a show that always sucked.

Regardless of what any individual thinks the show was a huge hit for ample years. Like I mentioned when I would go into work on Monday there was always groups of people discussing the new episode.  

The new writers and producers ruined the show just like they ruined Fear the Walking Dead with their asinine unrealistic plot lines. In addition having buffoons and weak people leading and making group decisions killed the show. 

Hopefully they get new writers and return the show to how it once was. It's possible the Rick movies could be solid but I doubt they will.

5 hours ago, spreads said:

Walking dead comic prices are coming off (have been over five years) because they were overinflated in value to begin with.  Speculators drove it up - like everything else.  Number 1 will always be valuable, what it will bottom at, $500, $700, $1000, $1500, etc. is anyone's guess but it's on a downtrend that isn't likely to reverse anytime soon.

The print run was less than 7500 copies. This will definitely help the value. Plus it's possible the show could get good again and the Rick movies could drive up the price. 

56 minutes ago, raybowles said:

The print run was less than 7500 copies.

No, it wasn't. The estimated distribution in North America in the month it came out was less than 7500.