• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Walking Dead #1
2 2

84 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, raybowles said:

The print run was less than 7500 copies. This will definitely help the value. Plus it's possible the show could get good again and the Rick movies could drive up the price. 

7500 comics for a book in the 2000s is quite a few copies....new movies and shows won't reverse the trend in value.  The non key issues are leading the way, I ran an auction of TWD last year - 130 books of the run and they went for a little more than cover.  By comparison to many titles that is a good price, but there are a lot of people dumping all their walking deads.  The demand for the books is only going to continue to drop....

I just looked it up- the print run for issue #1 is  7266.

Yeah - that's the number shipped to retailers in the United States and Canada. (So often many confuse actual # printed and monthly sales data which comes from comic book distributors specifically only counting comics shops in North America. Then you get articles written without sources using that number as a hard and fast 'fact' when discussing print runs and it basically becomes 'common knowledge'. We don't KNOW the exact amount, it's not like TMNT #1 where the creators themselves personally confirmed the exact amount they had printed and offered for sale total. The number is over 8,000 for WD when you factor in worldwide numbers at the very least)

Edited by Sauce Dog

18 minutes ago, Sauce Dog said:

Yeah - that's the number shipped to retailers in the United States and Canada. (So often many confuse actual # printed and monthly sales data which comes from comic book distributors specifically only counting comics shops in North America. Then you get articles written without sources using that number as a hard and fast 'fact' when discussing print runs and it basically becomes 'common knowledge'. We don't KNOW the exact amount, it's not like TMNT #1 where the creators themselves personally conformed the exact amount they had printed and offered for sale total. The number is over 8,000, not including the variants.)

So in your opinion how many are there?

1 hour ago, Sauce Dog said:

A number over 7,266 - that is all one can say with any honest certainty without having any additional, new information directly from the publisher & print house.

So you have no idea then. Therefore going with the reported number is probably the way to go. 7266 , 7300,  or even 7500 is pretty much the same thing. 

Regardless the print run is a very low figure which should minimize the value going down much more. The TV shows and the upcoming movies should keep the comic relevant for at least another 5 years and possibly longer.

13 hours ago, raybowles said:

Therefore going with the reported number is probably the way to go.

:facepalm:

Knowing one (estimated) number doesn't mean you can use it in place of another unknown, unrelated number.

At least the reason for your other posts is now clear to me.

1 hour ago, Lazyboy said:

:facepalm:

Knowing one (estimated) number doesn't mean you can use it in place of another unknown, unrelated number.

At least the reason for your other posts is now clear to me.

I have read the entire series and at one time I had issues #1-#170 in CGC 9.8 condition. The 7200+ print run was common knowledge. In the ample message board discussions on the Walking Dead the print run was never disputed. This is the first time I have ever heard anyone question it.

I just checked GPA and since March 31 here are all the sale prices for #1 in CGC 9.8:

$2000, $1920, $1800, $1900, $1820, $1698, and $1750. 

It will be interesting to read this thread in 5 years and see where the price goes. IMO if the shows end before 5 years and the movies don't do well the price will probably be around $1,500.  If the series gets better and the movies are successful the book can easily be worth $2,500.   

If the Rick movies do well they will definitely keep making Walking Dead movies.  The importance of the first Rick movie being a hit is huge for the future of the Walking Dead. 

36 minutes ago, raybowles said:

I have read the entire series and at one time I had issues #1-#170 in CGC 9.8 condition. The 7200+ print run was common knowledge. In the ample message board discussions on the Walking Dead the print run was never disputed. This is the first time I have ever heard anyone question it.

1. You didn't read the right discussions.

18 hours ago, Sauce Dog said:

Then you get articles written without sources using that number as a hard and fast 'fact' when discussing print runs and it basically becomes 'common knowledge'.

Yup. Thank you, misinformation spreaders! :sick:

Just to be perfectly clear:

7266 IS NOT THE PRINT RUN OF THE WALKING DEAD #1.

On 5/12/2020 at 6:09 AM, raybowles said:

What is Walking Dead #1 in CGC 9.8 selling for right now?  The cheapest one on EBAY right now is $2,200 but I doubt that's the current market value.  What would be a fair price today $1,700?  $1,800?

It's so sad what the writers/producers did to this show.  My entire family used to watch the show every week plus we watched Talking Dead.  It was a family event every weekend.  Today I'm the only one left.   I work in law enforcement and pretty much everyone I worked with used to watch the show.  Today I'm one of the few who still watch the show.  Political correctness and asinine plot lines have killed the show.  Recently I rewatched the first 5 seasons and it's so much better than the trash they are throwing out every weekend.  

I'm trying to think of another hit show that went this bad.  

Miami Vice. A slow start in Season 1, an exciting Season 2 and then all downhill once the Daytona Spyder was blown up at the start of Season 3.

I consider myself a Zombie 'fan'.  I remember watching 'Night of the Living Dead' in the 1970's as a kid and being mesmerized.  I don't do horror comics though not my thing.   As for The Walking Dead-  I was really hyped up for the show.  Never missed an episode for the first 5 seasons.   Then the treadmill started.  It just seems like the narrative kept repeating.  Wander- evil Governor Camp, battle.   Wander- evil Cannibal Camp battle.  Wander evil Negan Camp, battle.  Rinse and repeat.   I finally jumped after after Sasha's coffin ride.  Haven't thought about it or missed it one bit.   As for the comics- meh.

3 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

1. You didn't read the right discussions.

Yup. Thank you, misinformation spreaders! :sick:

Just to be perfectly clear:

7266 IS NOT THE PRINT RUN OF THE WALKING DEAD #1.

Then what is it? Give a number within 500 copies.

Edited by raybowles

4 hours ago, Mercury Man said:

I consider myself a Zombie 'fan'.  I remember watching 'Night of the Living Dead' in the 1970's as a kid and being mesmerized.  I don't do horror comics though not my thing.   As for The Walking Dead-  I was really hyped up for the show.  Never missed an episode for the first 5 seasons.   Then the treadmill started.  It just seems like the narrative kept repeating.  Wander- evil Governor Camp, battle.   Wander- evil Cannibal Camp battle.  Wander evil Negan Camp, battle.  Rinse and repeat.   I finally jumped after after Sasha's coffin ride.  Haven't thought about it or missed it one bit.   As for the comics- meh.

Ya I like Kirkman on invincible, but I don't think TWD comics are anything spectacular....

5 hours ago, raybowles said:

I just checked GPA and since March 31 here are all the sale prices for #1 in CGC 9.8:

$2000, $1920, $1800, $1900, $1820, $1698, and $1750. 

It will be interesting to read this thread in 5 years and see where the price goes. IMO if the shows end before 5 years and the movies don't do well the price will probably be around $1,500.  If the series gets better and the movies are successful the book can easily be worth $2,500.   

If the Rick movies do well they will definitely keep making Walking Dead movies.  The importance of the first Rick movie being a hit is huge for the future of the Walking Dead. 

The book can easily be worth $1500 or $1000 even if they make movies!  

Then what is it? Give a number within 500 copies.

I don't know. You don't know. Nobody speculating on what it is knows.

The print run is not public knowledge. That is the entire point, which you are missing.

12 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

I don't know. You don't know. Nobody speculating on what it is knows.

The print run is not public knowledge. That is the entire point, which you are missing.

I'm missing?  The print run has been discussed about 20 times on 20 different posts for the past 7-8 years and it was always lower than 7500.  Now out of left field the print run is being questioned with no evidence and I'm the one who does not get it.

Nice bizarro world thinking. 

Edited by raybowles

Lol the ignorance in this thread is hilarious. People talking about TWD as if it's still being decided whether or not it has made a cultural impact or not.

The comic series ended, the show has been on for 10 years, and interest for the franchanchise as a whole has dwindled compared to where it was at its peak.

But TWD is a property RIPE for nostalgia. It is a property that will have new readers, and new viewers over time because it was created for an adult demographic and it became a pop-culture giant.

The comic book series won several awards, as did the television series (amist breaking crazy records). Prices for the comics will drop, but it will eventually hit a time where people become interested in it again and want to get that Issue 1, 19, 48, etc. Maybe it will take the 10 years, maybe 20, but when the series gets re-booted (which is inevitable) there will be a whole new generation of fans. And that's not even taking into consideration the new fans that will get into reading the comics and the original tv series over that time. Argue it all you want, but The Walking Dead defines the Horror genre like Batman or Spiderman defines Superheroes.

On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2020 at 10:32 AM, SuperBird said:

The ratings went down because the show sucked. It always did, it just took people a while to realize. 

This!  Season One was meh, and the first half of Season Two was AWFUL.  Nothing happened.  I stuck with the show for entirely too long.  Finally bailed out about two years ago because I had honeyd!ck fatigue.  Entire episodes would go by, DARING you to believe something might actually happen, only to have ten seconds of excitement at the end and a cliffhanger.  Plus increasingly preposterous characters and storylines, like tiger-guy, or the trash-people who spoke broken English like they were born into and spent their entire lives in a post-apocalyptic environment with no adults to teach them grammar.  Then that spin-off series which was risible right out of the gate.  I was embarrassed to watch the show, and am embarrassed that I am still curious about what happened in the years that I have missed, but on the one or two occasions that I would try to pick up where I left off, I would feel like such a chump that the humiliation would keep me from coming back.  The show made me feel like a mark, not a viewer or fan.