• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Walking Dead #1
2 2

84 posts in this topic

I'm sure its been put to him by fans throughout the years, but I don't recall seeing anything about it online. The problem with that is Kirkman might not honestly even know, as he was just the writer at the time (it would be 5 years until he made partner) and not responsible for making the business-end calls on distribution or printing. 

The issue I have with asking him about a print run is that due to his creator and current partner status of the series any answer he gives, even wrong guesses (since it was before his time knowing such details), would be taken as gospel by many. The thing to ask him is maybe how many boxes of #1's he recalls selling/giving away at conventions - as that stock wasn't counted in the 7,266 number mentioned (since those were NA October sales) and represent a chunk the run not accounted for.

End of the day it's just best to make peace with the saying "we don't know" :)

Edited by Sauce Dog

I love TWD. I have watched every TV episode (and FTWD). I hope they make one or more films too.

TWD is the #1 comic I collect. I enjoyed (mostly!) reading through this thread. My CGC Journal is on TWD #1 - here is a link to it for anyone who might be interested: 

4 hours ago, StephenWA said:

I love TWD. I have watched every TV episode (and FTWD). I hope they make one or more films too.

TWD is the #1 comic I collect. I enjoyed (mostly!) reading through this thread. My CGC Journal is on TWD #1 - here is a link to it for anyone who might be interested: 

Great stuff Stephen.  Thank you for posting this.

5 hours ago, StephenWA said:

TWD #1 has only one variant: the black/white letters. It has a lot of special edition reprints, some of which have their own variants.

23 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

TWD #1 has only one variant: the black/white letters. It has a lot of special edition reprints, some of which have their own variants.

According to howtolovecomics.com "variant covers are comics that have a different cover to that of the regular shipping cover while still have the same contents".

I would like to present my journal correctly. If you can advise further, I'd be pleased to hear from you again.

Thank you for taking the time to look.

Regards,

Stephen

18 hours ago, MrWalkingDead said:

are people discussing issue number one?   Nice!---I have a few...

There are 253 to choose from (including the Black and White MATURE READERS from 2003, the 157 store variants from 2018 and The Last Wine from 2019). My journal (you'll find it in this string) lists them all...

Cheers

Stephen

For me, still the #1 surprising fact about this comic is that of the supposed 7266 comics printed (and I have read the string about US/others/Kirkman give-aways, etc), as of now, 3203 have been graded by CGC. This is over 44% of the whole/alleged print run!

And I wonder what was the status or fate of the other 4063 copies: slabbed by other grading co's, stored bagged and boarded in long-boxes, binned or sent for recycling...

1 hour ago, StephenWA said:

According to howtolovecomics.com "variant covers are comics that have a different cover to that of the regular shipping cover while still have the same contents".

I would like to present my journal correctly. If you can advise further, I'd be pleased to hear from you again.

Thank you for taking the time to look.

Regards,

Stephen

A variant is a different edition from the same print run (this is actually implied in "regular shipping cover" despite that being a less-than-perfect definition). Variants are different versions of the same thing. A reprint, while obviously similar to the original, is a different thing.

Also, like I mentioned earlier, reprints can have their own variants. Assuming your list is otherwise accurate, that means a special edition reprint book (the 15th Anniversary WD 1, whatever it's officially titled) has the most variants

2 hours ago, StephenWA said:

For me, still the #1 surprising fact about this comic is that of the supposed 7266 comics printed (and I have read the string about US/others/Kirkman give-aways, etc), as of now, 3203 have been graded by CGC. This is over 44% of the whole/alleged print run!

And I wonder what was the status or fate of the other 4063 copies: slabbed by other grading co's, stored bagged and boarded in long-boxes, binned or sent for recycling...

But keep in mind .... as with any sought after comic the actual number of graded issues is deceiving , a lot of times slabs are cracked to repress / get signatures and are resubmitted with different serial numbers

Edited by Old_Man_Adam
Spell

4 hours ago, StephenWA said:

There are 253 to choose from (including the Black and White MATURE READERS from 2003, the 157 store variants from 2018 and The Last Wine from 2019). My journal (you'll find it in this string) lists them all...

Cheers

Stephen

https://comics.www.collectors-society.com/wcm/ComicCustomSetView.aspx?s=22504

there are more than 253-

20 hours ago, Old_Man_Adam said:

But keep in mind .... as with any sought after comic the actual number of graded issues is deceiving , a lot of times slabs are cracked to repress / get signatures and are resubmitted with different serial numbers

Interesting point. I can easily see some duplication for pressing and/or signatures.

Of the 3204 presently in the CGC Registry (an increase by one this week), 470 are Signature Series.

20 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

A variant is a different edition from the same print run (this is actually implied in "regular shipping cover" despite that being a less-than-perfect definition). Variants are different versions of the same thing. A reprint, while obviously similar to the original, is a different thing.

Also, like I mentioned earlier, reprints can have their own variants. Assuming your list is otherwise accurate, that means a special edition reprint book (the 15th Anniversary WD 1, whatever it's officially titled) has the most variants

Interesting. Is therefore the print date the KEY determinant to distinguish one from the other? CGC dates comics in mm/yyyy. Is it possible that a comic could be reprinted in the same month and thus show the same mm/yyyy?

Is there a DEFINITIVE source of such definitions?

If you have a minute, please help me with some TWD examples:

1. TWD #2/7/8 each have first and second printings. Is the second one in each case a variant or a reprint?

#2 shows 11/03 and 02/04 for the first and second printings;

#7 shows 4/04 as the header date in both cases;

#8 shows 5/04 in both cases, though the indica for the second shows 7/04.

2. TWD #150 has six different covers. Are all/any of them variant? reprints?

3. There are seven individually dated $1 TWD #1 Image Firsts. Same question - any/all variants? any/all reprints?

This might not matter too much - I'm not sure. You raised the point, and as I said I am just keen to present my journal correctly. I'm sure that comics-wise, it is accurate.

Regards

Stephen

On 5/23/2020 at 11:00 AM, StephenWA said:

Are comics like coins, where if it looks superior to the grade on the holder, people will crack them out and resubmit them.  As a result the census data was always overstated.  Is that the case here too?

10 hours ago, BladeTX said:

Are comics like coins, where if it looks superior to the grade on the holder, people will crack them out and resubmit them.  As a result the census data was always overstated.  Is that the case here too?

Yes. People who care will turn back in old labels for them to be removed from the census, but my guess would be that most don’t get back to CGC.

19 hours ago, BladeTX said:

I'm sure (as ItsJustRyan has said) that the total may be overstated for precisely the reason he states. Fires, floods, vengeful partners, etc. may also take a toll on the current graded totals of any book.

Certainly, there is no re-census...