• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Awesome, Amazing All Star Comics Complete Run-They deserve their own thread!
5 5

225 posts in this topic

What an accomplishment!

The only two runs I ever tried to complete were All Star and More Fun.

I was only after the JSA issues, so it was only #3 - 57, but I absolutely remember the feeling when I picked up the last issue I needed to complete the run (although I can't remember what number it was!).

Congratulations, and I look forward to seeing all of them.

1 hour ago, Ghastly542454 said:

All Star Comics #1-I originally was only going to collect the actual Justice Society issues of #3-#57. But when I finished that run last year, a close friend shamed me by saying you need to also get issues #1 and #2 to have an actual complete run. And so I did. By sheer luck an All Star #1 was in the December 2019 Comic Link auction and I was determined to get it at all costs. It didn’t come cheaply and definitely is not an easy book to find. It might be one of the oldest books in my collection. 

E2768543-A3B9-4767-A647-761E8723728C.jpeg

Congrats! Looking forward to these, especially a spotlight 'slow roll out' like this.

Makes the books stand out, and the backstory on each is a plus! :golfclap:

Congratulations on completing the run. I only have two issues a real pretty CGC 8.0 #29 purchased from Gator on the boards and a decent looking #35 picked up at a San Diego con in the mid nineties for about $200. I've always wanted an issue in the run between 10-20 as they had some great covers.

Back in the late seventies and early eighties I was in college in Hoboken, NJ across from Manhattan. It was a 30 cent train ride to the city which was really cheap at the time so we went over to the city quite often. We'd go to Katz Deli on occasion (the deli in When Harry Met Sally) and I remember when you went in at the greeting station someone had done a recreation of the cover of All Star #3 and had posted it on the booth wall. I always got a kick out of looking at that.image when we went in there.

I also remember reading the Famous First Edition of All Star #3 and still have my copy bought off the stands. That was a great era to be buying comics from DC as they were really mining the vault for reprints in their giants and other special editions.

On 5/11/2020 at 8:15 PM, Ghastly542454 said:

All Star Comics #2-Here’s another book that I originally had no plans to own but as wrote about in All Star Comics #1, I was shamed into getting!🤣. Sometimes shaming can get very expensive! Such was the case with this All Star Comics #2 which by some Christmas miracle Heritage offered in December on behalf of Tadano America. Being that the book was a 7.0 I knew the book was going to be expensive especially coming from Heritage but I now had to have it to complete the run. I still have never figured out quite how Heritage runs their auctions so what did I do? I just threw out a huge reserve of $10K thinking if someone outbids me with that kind of reserve, they even want it worse than me. I ended up winning it and with taxes, it cost me just under $4,500!! For a book I never originally wanted, that was a lot of money!!!

This book has a sordid history!! Ever hear of Anthony Chiofalo? He was the head of legal affairs and Human Resources for Tadano America. In 2012 he embezzled 9.3 million dollars from the company and bought a lot of expensive comic books with the money! To make matters worse, once he was caught , two of the investigators in the case stole some of comics that were being held as evidence! I’m not making this up! Tadano recovered about $5 million of the money and comics. Chiofalo received a 40 year setance.

Someone told me this was a pedigree book but the label didn’t indicate it. Trolley or something like that? Maybe someone out there knows??

7DD078C3-0F24-4769-A01C-EE7475875EEA.jpeg

It's the Detroit Trolley copy, you can tell by the distinctive cursive "L" on the cover. Here's a writeup from one of the sales that you might find interesting:

A horse drawn milk wagon, a trolley car conductor switching tracks for a yellow and green trolley car, and a young boy all paint the picture of simpler times, the end of the Depression Era, and a time in Detroit when a young teenage boy first discovered comic book collecting. In his neighborhood, he remembers picking up the latest issues of his favorite comics along the turn-around route of the Trumble Trolley. He recalls his anticipation as he opened each new adventure, while he sipped on a soda, at the corner soda shops, Richs’ and Cunningham's, then retreating to his own room to devour them all. He didn’t consciously plan to be a collector. He just kept each issue, so he could re-read them and experience their adventures again and again. He used them to help improve his own sketching skills and his drawing perspective. He stored each treasured copy in an orange crate that he kept safe in his room. On December 7th, 1941, the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor, and at age 17 he joined the Navy to serve his country and he was trained in underwater demolition. The orange crates full of comics and his easel, stayed home with his mother and father. Now this 65 year old collection of adventures has been brought out of storage to be experienced again! All books are raw, completely unrestored in their original state of preservation. It is with great pride that CollectorsAssemble.com introduces the original owner DETROIT TROLLEY pedigree collection comprising only books from the very early classic years of the Golden-Age Of Comics!! Please Note: In some cases, scans are more brighter and colorful than viewing book in person.

35 minutes ago, october said:

It's the Detroit Trolley copy, you can tell by the distinctive cursive "L" on the cover. Here's a writeup from one of the sales that you might find interesting:

A horse drawn milk wagon, a trolley car conductor switching tracks for a yellow and green trolley car, and a young boy all paint the picture of simpler times, the end of the Depression Era, and a time in Detroit when a young teenage boy first discovered comic book collecting. In his neighborhood, he remembers picking up the latest issues of his favorite comics along the turn-around route of the Trumble Trolley. He recalls his anticipation as he opened each new adventure, while he sipped on a soda, at the corner soda shops, Richs’ and Cunningham's, then retreating to his own room to devour them all. He didn’t consciously plan to be a collector. He just kept each issue, so he could re-read them and experience their adventures again and again. He used them to help improve his own sketching skills and his drawing perspective. He stored each treasured copy in an orange crate that he kept safe in his room. On December 7th, 1941, the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor, and at age 17 he joined the Navy to serve his country and he was trained in underwater demolition. The orange crates full of comics and his easel, stayed home with his mother and father. Now this 65 year old collection of adventures has been brought out of storage to be experienced again! All books are raw, completely unrestored in their original state of preservation. It is with great pride that CollectorsAssemble.com introduces the original owner DETROIT TROLLEY pedigree collection comprising only books from the very early classic years of the Golden-Age Of Comics!! Please Note: In some cases, scans are more brighter and colorful than viewing book in person.

@october thank you so much for the great information!! It doesn’t look like CGC recognizes that pedigree.🤔😩At least I don’t see it on their list of pedigrees.

Edited by Ghastly542454