• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NG's in registry?
1 1

4 posts in this topic

I was curious if NG are applied to the registry and if so do they provide any points? As for many epic older sets I could see obtaining an incomplete (or coverless) copy of a book being the only way many collectors could ever get their hands on an issue for their collection. Be it battered copies of early very Detective Comics or coverless Action Comics 1 etc...this does give some of us the smallest hope of completing a grail set.

If they are not currently accounted for the the registry, would it be possible to give such items a blanket base score (perhaps just 1 even, as that would still actually make a difference in some cases),  as I feel anything actually paid to be authenticated, encapsulated and registered with a barcode though CGC should be worth something on the registry (even though CGC themselves don't list any NG/PG/CVR data in the census - though I'm specifically talking about No Grade books and not individual pages or cover wrap parts).

• Administrator
13 hours ago, Sauce Dog said:

I was curious if NG are applied to the registry and if so do they provide any points? As for many epic older sets I could see obtaining an incomplete (or coverless) copy of a book being the only way many collectors could ever get their hands on an issue for their collection. Be it battered copies of early very Detective Comics or coverless Action Comics 1 etc...this does give some of us the smallest hope of completing a grail set.

If they are not currently accounted for the the registry, would it be possible to give such items a blanket base score (perhaps just 1 even, as that would still actually make a difference in some cases),  as I feel anything actually paid to be authenticated, encapsulated and registered with a barcode though CGC should be worth something on the registry (even though CGC themselves don't list any NG/PG/CVR data in the census - though I'm specifically talking about No Grade books and not individual pages or cover wrap parts).

Hello @Sauce Dog,

Thank you for your post. Unfortunately, we do not allow cover-less books into the census as they do not receive a grade. CGC accepts the collectibles as we can still authenticate and encapsulate them which provides assurance of their genuineness and protects the items.

These collectibles would be a great addition to a custom set!

Thanks for the clarification Matt!

I have seen other companies and vendors often give coverless (yet otherwise complete) books a 0.3 grade, are there any thoughts by CGC to implementing such a grade point (as a comic book is far more than just its cover - especially epic golden age books). Has CGC ever written anywhere about why they don't grade issues with missing covers in such a way (I'm really curious about this). Thanks again!

• Administrator
On 5/12/2020 at 10:12 AM, Sauce Dog said:

Thanks for the clarification Matt!

I have seen other companies and vendors often give coverless (yet otherwise complete) books a 0.3 grade, are there any thoughts by CGC to implementing such a grade point (as a comic book is far more than just its cover - especially epic golden age books). Has CGC ever written anywhere about why they don't grade issues with missing covers in such a way (I'm really curious about this). Thanks again!

The first several years that CGC was open, we gave coverless books a 0.5 designation.  However, we eventually decided that, as a coverless book, it really didn't need to be assigned a grade, (hence the "No Grade" designation).  But we still wanted people to understand that, although CGC was not assigning it a grade, it was still authenticating the item by encapsulating it (and labeling it clearly as "Coverless") so that the book would not be mistaken as, for instance, a reprint or a color copy that someone made at their house.

We feel that the "No Grade" designation is better for coverless books than a 0.5 grade (or some other grade such as 0.3 or 0.1).