• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thinking of submitting my first order to CGC

10 posts in this topic

So i'm thinking of submitting my first order to CGC .

However I have no idea what value to select for my books and not sure how much it counts in the submission process .

Do I go on ebay to search sold listings ? Or perhaps use overstreet ? 

I tried asking these in the AskCGC section but they were never approved . 

On 5/12/2020 at 3:34 AM, Lukesaurus said:

However I have no idea what value to select for my books and not sure how much it counts in the submission process .

Put some pics/scans in the Buddy can u spare a grade forum and then look at gocollect and eBay sold sales for those grade levels to get FMV ideas

On 5/12/2020 at 12:34 AM, Lukesaurus said:

The value you put on there is mainly for insurence purposes. So put the value you would be happy getting in the rare case the books are completely destoryed or lost.
The value does also affect the grading tier and therefore the cost of grading.

For example you can only have a $200 value for a modern book and use the modern tier (20$ to grade) , if you wanted to value the book at $400then you would have to use the economy tier (38$ to grade).

Other things to consider; shipping to and from CGC. If you are worried make sure to insure the books on there way to CGC and pick the appropiate shipping option to get your books backs.

For example, UPS shipping option back from CGC I believe has a max of $1000 which might not be enough if you have a few $200 books.

Hope that helps. 

Not to hijack this thread but might also be in the interest of original poster. How would you ship a book (1 book) over 1000? And  how about a $6K book. How do you get say a 7.0 copy of tales of suspense 39 graded ?  How do you submit that ? 

59 minutes ago, spidrvacc said:

Not to hijack this thread but might also be in the interest of original poster. How would you ship a book (1 book) over 1000? And  how about a $6K book. How do you get say a 7.0 copy of tales of suspense 39 graded ?  How do you submit that ? 

You can always use USPS registered mail which forces the package to get logged every step of the way.  it's slower, but more secure.   

Oh ok. I was reading the grading tiers and i was under the impression you can only submit expensive books in person.( Over 5k). Thanks.

Im a new member of cgc since it was half off . Figured i would send in a few books.  One book is expensive value wise.

Edited by spidrvacc

7 minutes ago, spidrvacc said:

Oh ok. I was reading the grading tiers and i was under the impression you can only submit expensive books in person.( Over 5k). Thanks.

Im a new member of cgc since it was half off . Figured i would send in a few books.  One book is expensive value wise.

The  turnaround times in the grading tiers just means how many working days it should take once  they log the book into their system

As Avi said, the value you specify on the submission form drives the tier level, the insurance if something happens while CGC is in possession of the book and the insurance with the mail carrier for the trip back to you.  You can put any value you want depending on how comfortable you are with risk and time.   CGC may up the book to a higher FMV on their own as charge you the difference.  I've heard of it happening and I've heard (& experienced) it not happening. 

I meant being a paid  cgc member not member of forum lol.

And yes i took walkthrough literally lol.

I thought any book over 3k had to be submitted at a show and you cant mail it to them.

Edited by spidrvacc