• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

No matter where you’re from- we all have ONE common enemy!!
1 1

53 posts in this topic

43 minutes ago, letsgrumble said:

Ever since tape caught on one of my SA books and damaged it, I vowed to remove tape completely out and away from my collection. 

I have now been tape-free for over 15 years.

The first step is to admit we're powerless over tape—that it has become unmanageable.

Is there a tape-pull anonymous group I can join?

I've snagged one or two books with tape over the years, but my real nemesis is the open top mylar. I HATE those things. HATE. They snag edges, split spines, tear into my cuticles and cause all sorts of havok. I think Gator had a story about someone putting a giant spine split into some mega, mega key with one. The Church All-Star 3, if I remember right. 

6 hours ago, DavidTheDavid said:

Are you sure you don't have that backwards? My experience is the exact opposite, though I use only Gerber bags.

I'm sure.. maybe climate conditions play a factor? I'm in the midwest and have the damndest time with magic tape and gerber mylite 2s. They always break so I switched to gift wrap tape for mylars. Maybe it's just tape removal technique? Ha! Anyway, I've solved my dilemma with gift wrap tape and just using a new piece everytime. 

Edited by Rhymenoceros

17 hours ago, kav said:

Tapepull would be a good super villain-he rips off swatches of flesh with his tape pulling powers.  He was cut by a radiactive tape dispenser blade.

needs a more "legendary" name, similar to Paste Pot Pete.

Tape Tear Tommy?

Tape Pull Terry?

ST110 for me....... as I met up and was buying it in a parking lot from the seller.  I asked if I could take it out of the mylar and examine it before I bought it, and the guys wife (who was holding it) suddenly opened the mylar and stuck the tape to front cover when she pulled it out.  It's a dark cover too.  It instantly went from a 7.0 to a 5.0 and I paid WAY less for it.

3 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

I thought tapepull was a brilliant name actually. @kav you gotta come up with a nm98 swipe with that villain ASAP :wishluck:

I like Tapepull, but I was trying to run with it is all.

Open the bag leaving the tape where it is.

Slide a backing board into the bag in front of the comic.

Grab the top of the comic by the two boards and remove. 

Repeat when inserting the book back in the bag and slide out the front board. 

For whatever reason, tape doesnt seem to hate cardboard as much as it hates comicbooks and won't attack it with the same passion

Edited by shadroch

2 hours ago, Rhymenoceros said:

I'm sure.. maybe climate conditions play a factor? I'm in the midwest and have the damndest time with magic tape and gerber mylite 2s. They always break so I switched to gift wrap tape for mylars. Maybe it's just tape removal technique? Ha! Anyway, I've solved my dilemma with gift wrap tape and just using a new piece everytime. 

I've always preferred magic tape as I feel it's a less sticky option than standard tape and, in my climate conditions in damp England, it seems to deteriorate more slowly.  It does tend to split more easily at the edge of the flap, though.  A minor inconvenience.

Edited by Ken Aldred

5 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

Is there a tape-pull anonymous group I can join?

Something like that would help.  hm

Observing a comic cover violated by even a small tear; the terror on seeing that horrible, horrible, matt-white blemish appearing, surrounded by still-pristine, coloured gloss, no going back now, a pamphlet scarred forever, the helplessness, nothing you can do ... well, it's a traumatic experience, burned into memory for life.

Understandably, nightmares ensue, self-recrimination, necessitating a search for a comicbook-related PTSD support group to help you through those repetitive, obsessive-compulsive, excruciating thoughts.

Edited by Ken Aldred

3 hours ago, october said:

I've snagged one or two books with tape over the years, but my real nemesis is the open top mylar. I HATE those things. HATE. They snag edges, split spines, tear into my cuticles and cause all sorts of havok. I think Gator had a story about someone putting a giant spine split into some mega, mega key with one. The Church All-Star 3, if I remember right. 

:frustrated: