• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Netflix's SWEET TOOTH from Vertigo (TBD)
2 2

41 posts in this topic

DC Comics' Sweet Tooth is getting the Netflix treatment.

The streamer on Tuesday handed out an eight-episode series order for the live-action drama series based on characters from DC imprint Vertigo's Sweet Tooth and produced by Team Downey’s Robert Downey Jr. and Susan Downey. 

The series is described as broad in appeal, family friendly and following the storybook adventures of Gus — part deer, part boy — who leaves his home in the forest to find the outside world ravaged by a cataclysmic event. He joins a ragtag family of humans and animal-children hybrids like himself in search of answers about this new world and the mystery behind his hybrid origins.

Jim Mickle (Hap and Leonard) and Beth Schwartz (the DC Comics-inspired CW drama Arrow) are set to pen the -script, exec produce and serve as co-showrunners. The former also will direct. Amanda Burrell of Team Downey and Linda Moran also will exec produce alongside Robert Downey Jr. and Susan Downey. The company’s Evan Moore will produce the series, which hails from Warner Bros. TV. (Schwartz, who recently served as showrunner on the final season of Arrow, is under an overall deal with the studio.) Mickle wrote and directed the Team Downey-produced pilot that Hulu made a few years ago.

Christian Convery (Beautiful Boy), Nonso Anozie (Game of Thrones), Adeel Akhtar (The Big Sick) and Will Forte (The Last Man on Earth) will star in the series, with James Brolin (Life in Pieces) attached to voice the show's narrator. 

Sweet Tooth arrives as Team Downey continues its push into television. The company, which also has a first-look deal with Warner Bros. TV corporate sibling HBO, next has the premium cable network’s Perry Mason drama due June 21.

Good news to kick off the new year: Netflix's upcoming series Sweet Tooth has wrapped filming. The live-action show is adapted from Jeff Lemire's comic book series of the same name, which follow a half-deer, half-boy named Gus. When Gus leaves his home in the forest and discovers that the world has been devastated by a cataclysmic event, he joins a team of animal-human hybrids to uncover the truth of what happened. Robert Downey Jr., Susan Downey, Amanda Burrell, Linda Moran, Jim Mickle, and Arrow showrunner Beth Schwartz are executive producers on the project in association with Warner Bros. TV, with Mickle and Schwartz also serving as co-showrunners and co-writers.

According to Bleeding Cool, Lemire announced that Sweet Tooth finished filming in the most recent edition of his newsletter. He also told fans that the series will hit Netflix sometime in 2021. In the summer edition of his newsletter, Lemire said he couldn't divulge too many details about the show, but shared that it would be 8 episodes long and was being filmed in New Zealand.

Whimsical tweeness is a personal — or perhaps generational — kryptonite. For every Pushing Daisies or Wonderfalls, there are a dozen TV shows and movies undone by thinking that “unfiltered sincerity” and “treacly earnestness” are interchangeable.

Some predisposition toward the saccharine is necessary to properly consume Netflix’s new fantasy Sweet Tooth — I mean, it’s right there in the title — but there’s great pleasure in reporting that for most of Jim Mickle’s adaptation of Jeff Lemire’s Vertigo comic, a precarious balance is handled with real deftness. Emotionally and geographically, this is a show with real epic scope, and it earns the laughter and occasional tears that it wrings from the audience thanks to a real and unquestionable, well, sweetness.

Sweet Tooth begins 10 years after an event the characters refer to as The Great Crumble, a possibly connected series of occurrences that included the global spread of a deadly virus and the mass birth of so-called hybrids, children born with a mixture of human and animal parts. The combination of global tragedy and undermining of confidence in the future of pure-blooded humanity tore society apart in ways these first eight episodes only begin to depict.

But if you can withstand the early earnestness, the lack of subtextual consistency shouldn’t be a problem, and so much of Sweet Tooth lands exactly on its desired terms. The performances are sturdy, the action scenes thrilling and Jeff Grace’s score conveys the right notes of adventure and melodrama. Despite lacking a Peter Jackson-level budget, the effects team executes the story’s magical elements with “Awww…”-inducing aplomb, especially on one secondary character who could have merchandising appeal if the show sticks. And I hope Sweet Tooth sticks, because the first season is more effective than I would have imagined and this is a world with many more stories to tell.

5 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

Netflix is saying this is # 2 in the U.S. today, behind only Lucifer.

I don't trust their top ten list. Sometimes it looks like they're just pumping something hoping to get more eyes on it.

Edited by bb8

13 minutes ago, bb8 said:

I don't trust their top ten list. Sometimes it looks like they're just pumping something hoping to get more eyes on it.

Granted, but I also think this is a fairly new release - as with Jupiter's Legacy (which was # 1 for at least 3 days upon release), it makes sense that folks would flock to it initially, especially that first Friday-Saturday.

If anything, Jupiter's Legacy quick plummet *out* of the top 10 list - and subsequent cancellation - shows that there's likely some veracity to the list.

Edited by Gatsby77

7 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

Never read the series but loved season 1 despite I’m not the target group

Kind of feels like a mix between the TV show Hanna and the movie Outbreak with the vibe of the movie Big Fish.

14 minutes ago, Eclipse said:

I just binged the whole series and i think its great

i did the same yesterday. i kept hoping, that for some reason season 2 would be there (knowing full well it wasn't) but hoping for that miracle

Watched first 2 eps and am enjoying it.

Never read the comic - was going to - but never found the time.

Get the feeling there will be need for a still upper lip by the end though.....