• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Art Day - Illustration art

4 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, rsonenthal said:

And now, for something completely different.  I’ve never really been focused on illustration art.  Don’t get me wrong, I think many of the pieces that are posted are wonderful and amazing but I’ve never been ready to buy something. Until now. I recently picked up a piece that I thought I would share. Something about the artwork spoke to me. I can’t explain why (believe me, my family has asked), but I just love the piece.

The artist is Thomas Lovell.  Born in 1909, by the 30’s, Lovell provided illustrations for advertising agencies and magazines such as Redbook, Life, Collier's, The American, Woman's Home Companion, and Cosmopolitan. In the 40's Lovell produced covers and illustrations for several magazines including Ace-High Western, Clues, Complete, Detective Tales, Dime Detective, Rangeland Romances, Star Western, and Top-Notch. Too old for the draft by WW II, he volunteered in 1944 and served for two years in the Marine Corps Reserve and spent most of his time as a Staff Sergeant working in Washington DC illustrating some 100 paintings for the Marine Corps magazine, Leatherneck. 

Later in his life, he changed his focus to the Southwest and Native Americans.  At this point, his career took off and in 1973 he was invited to become a charter member of the National Academy of Western Artists, and is the only artist to twice receive their Prix de West Award. In 1974 he was elected to the Society of Illustrators' Hall of Fame, and in 1975 he became a member of the Cowboy Artists of America. He passed away in 1997.

This piece was published in American Magazine in May of 1942. The American Magazine was founded in June 1906 and published through August 1956. High-profile writers contributed articles on a variety of topics. The magazine had mostly fictional short stories, and the magazine published several winners of the O. Henry Awards.

The link:  http://cafurl.com?i=24640

As always, feel free to look around and see if anything else is of interest.

Ron

PS.  While I was doing some research on the artist, I found a book about his career.  When I saw the cover, I knew I had made the right decision.

Lovell book.jpg

That’s so cool Ron. Reminds me of The Sommerset Holmes comics with the Brent Anderson covers and interior art by Al Williamson.

I think it’s great you acquired something different. The art is lovely and so cool to add another cover for your collection.

On 5/12/2020 at 6:24 PM, rsonenthal said:

And now, for something completely different.  I’ve never really been focused on illustration art.  Don’t get me wrong, I think many of the pieces that are posted are wonderful and amazing but I’ve never been ready to buy something. Until now. I recently picked up a piece that I thought I would share. Something about the artwork spoke to me. I can’t explain why (believe me, my family has asked), but I just love the piece.

The artist is Thomas Lovell.  Born in 1909, by the 30’s, Lovell provided illustrations for advertising agencies and magazines such as Redbook, Life, Collier's, The American, Woman's Home Companion, and Cosmopolitan. In the 40's Lovell produced covers and illustrations for several magazines including Ace-High Western, Clues, Complete, Detective Tales, Dime Detective, Rangeland Romances, Star Western, and Top-Notch. Too old for the draft by WW II, he volunteered in 1944 and served for two years in the Marine Corps Reserve and spent most of his time as a Staff Sergeant working in Washington DC illustrating some 100 paintings for the Marine Corps magazine, Leatherneck. 

Later in his life, he changed his focus to the Southwest and Native Americans.  At this point, his career took off and in 1973 he was invited to become a charter member of the National Academy of Western Artists, and is the only artist to twice receive their Prix de West Award. In 1974 he was elected to the Society of Illustrators' Hall of Fame, and in 1975 he became a member of the Cowboy Artists of America. He passed away in 1997.

This piece was published in American Magazine in May of 1942. The American Magazine was founded in June 1906 and published through August 1956. High-profile writers contributed articles on a variety of topics. The magazine had mostly fictional short stories, and the magazine published several winners of the O. Henry Awards.

The link:  http://cafurl.com?i=24640

As always, feel free to look around and see if anything else is of interest.

Ron

PS.  While I was doing some research on the artist, I found a book about his career.  When I saw the cover, I knew I had made the right decision.

Lovell book.jpg

Classic piece cong