• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Symply Symbiotes

3 posts in this topic

Hello All!

I thought this might be a fun topic to start up.  I have been a fan of Venom and the evolving symbiote mythology for as long as I remember.  Truly one of the most imaginative and interesting concepts to spin out of the Marvel Universe.  Since first fully appearing in ASM 300, Venom has had his own- ahem- legion of fans and the fan base has only grown over the ensuing decades, and recently exploded worldwide with his own solo feature film that turned into a bona fide blockbuster.  With at least two more movies set to come out, the sky is the limit for how this charter and the world of symbiotes can go.   And with Donny Cates running around the publishing arm of Marvel, expanding the universe and taking it to new and fresh places, it would seem that we are at a new beginning of exploring the Klyntar race.

As such, isn't it time to have a thread dedicated to our symbiote friends (and foes!)?  I figure the Modern section would be the proper forum for this since, other than Venom (1988), symbiotes are by and large a modern phenomenon, and other than Venom, all have first appeared in the Modern era. 

What's the purpose of this thread?  Why to discuss all things Symbiotes, of course!  Favourite and current plot lines (and not so favourite, if you like), favourite symbiote characters/hosts upcoming books and stories, Venom/Symbiote movie news, and yes, comic book speculation.  What symbiote do you think will be the next character/book to heat up?  What's hot now? 

And what thread would be worth anything without pictures?  Let's see those symbiote books, those rare Venom/Venomized variants, those classic McFarlane/Bagley covers, the rare/obscure symbiote odds and ends that nobody knows about, those bad axx statues and figurines in your display cases, your original covers/art, even your own personal artwork if you should feel so inclined, etc.  There's certainly a lot out there to hunt and chase down, let this be the place you show off your symbiote acquisitions.  :headbang:

So let's get consumed, shall we?

I'll start things off with my own personal little labour of love- something I've been working on for a little over three years now.  Below is the first appearance of every unique/named 616 Symbiote bonded to a sentient host, starting with Venom, in a 9.8 slab and, as you can see, running across multiple titles over the decades.  Meaning, only symbiotes in the 616, only the symbiotes that took on a unique/new name/identity once bonded to a host, and only with their original host (example, Venom has had multiple hosts over the years, only ASM 300 is represented here, his first appearance with his first host; similarly, Mania went to Lee Price and became "Maniac", Venom went to Flash Thompson and became "Agent Venom", only the first appearance with the original host is what this run is about; this run also does not include the times characters got a symbiote but did not assume a new character identity as a result-  I think you guys get the gist by now lol).  When applicable I got the highest ratio variant that was available for the book.  If I did not like the highest ratio variant, I got the next highest that I did like.  I did not pursue any store exclusives or reprints, first prints only.  Anyhow, with that said, here are all my symbiote babies.... :cloud9:

Row 1, Starting from Left:

ASM 300 5/88 (Venom), FF 360 1/92 (Dreadface), ASM 361 4/92 (Carnage), Venom Lethal Protector 4 5/93 (Scream), Venom Lethal Protector 6/93 (Phage, Lasher, Riot, Agony)

Row 2:

Venom Along Came a Spider 1 1/96 (Hybrid), Venom Seed of Darkness -1 7/97 (Krobaa), Venom vs. Carnage #2 (Toxin), True Believers 1 9/08 (Payback), ASM 569 variant 10/08 (Anti-Venom)

Row 3:

X men Kingbreaker 2 3/09 (Zzzxx), Carnage 5 8/11 (Scorn), Venom 38 9/13 (Mania), Carnage 10 9/16 (Raze), Venom 1 7/18 1:100 virgin variant (Grendel, Tyrannosaurus)

Row 4:

Venom 3 8/18 1:25 variant (Knull), Venom First Host 3 11/18 1:25 variant (Sleeper), Silver Surfer Black 2 9/19 1:25 variant (Void Knight), Absolute Carnage 4 12/19 1:200 virgin variant (Legion)

Hat tip @Lethal_Collector

-J.

Symbiote First Appearances.jpg

Edited by Jaydogrules

24 minutes ago, Lethal_Collector said:

Cool thread!  Venom is why I love comics (and x-men) <3 

Here's a link to my custom reg set.  It's mostly updated lol  I'll cross check my list with yours @Jaydogrules (thumbsu

Jerome

Well that is a comprehensive list lol. 

So if you want to be super duper comprehensive, don't forget X men Blue #21, when other unnamed symbiotes bonded to the X men in the same storyline that Killer Thrill bonded to her un-named symbiote.  :)

-J.