• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC found restoration in 2 books i bought. Should the Comic shop refund my CGC fees in addition to my purchase price?
1 1

69 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, kimik said:

He was referring to disappointment when buying raw. The number of people worth buying from is less and less each year as more big dealers and sellers stretch the grades as much as possible.

Right, I agree on that. I was just about to make a post on how the comic connect raw grades look absolutely nuts at the moment.

1 hour ago, shadroch said:

So you sell nothing but slabbed books? 

No, but all of my higher value and/or higher grade keys are slabbed. I either bought them that way, or I send the ones I want to part with in for grading so they are more liquid.

Stretch grading has become more rampant with full time dealers and small-time collectors/sellers the past few years. Some have never been able to grade, so that is the norm, while others are now stretching things as much as possible to capture "full potential" of a book. There are also some terrible quick press jobs being done by dealers now that damage the books. Again, they want to capture "full value" instead of letting someone else who knows how to press get the upgrade. However, it sucks for the rest of us that just want a nice $200 low to mid grade GA or SA book for their personal collection instead of a book that is flat but has staple tears and numerous indents (those dealers need to remember to clean their press) from a shoddy press job

11 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

Right, I agree on that. I was just about to make a post on how the comic connect raw grades look absolutely nuts at the moment.

Raw grades are nuts across the board at other auction sites as well right now. This is really the only source for books to press and flip now with conventions postponed, so those buyers need to focus there. If you can buy a 5.0 - 7.0 book at auction and "improve it" a grade or two, it can be worthwhile. 

3 minutes ago, kimik said:

Raw grades are nuts across the board at other auction sites as well right now. This is really the only source for books to press and flip now with conventions postponed, so those buyers need to focus there. If you can buy a 5.0 - 7.0 book at auction and "improve it" a grade or two, it can be worthwhile. 

For sure. But I was talking about another kind of nuts, the one where it's just not the grade they say it is. Or at least that's what I think. Here's the thread I made, you'll let me know if you see it too or if I am the one who's off: 

7 hours ago, William-James88 said:

For sure. But I was talking about another kind of nuts, the one where it's just not the grade they say it is. Or at least that's what I think. Here's the thread I made, you'll let me know if you see it too or if I am the one who's off: 

you are correct, it is not the grade they say it is. Do not buy raw from Comicconnect/Metropolis or if you do assume that book they have graded a 6.5 will come back a CGC 4.5 because the back cover (not shown) has a big chunk out of it and the interior has a huge blood stain ( not disclosed), or the 3.0 returns as a 2.0 because the cover is almost entirely detached ( not disclosed ), or those 8.5-9.0 raw that were imaged on a black background (how often do they image on a black background??) all had bad black tanning on the spines and tops of all the books.

The Overstreet Grading Guides emphasized grading a book from the inside out -- for example, if the centerfold is missing or the pages are brittle, then cover stress marks or small back-cover tears will be irrelevant to the overall grade.  It's frustrating when dealers ignore that practice - and not disclosing a large stain makes you wonder if the interior saw much (if any) inspection.

8 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

you are correct, it is not the grade they say it is. Do not buy raw from Comicconnect/Metropolis or if you do assume that book they have graded a 6.5 will come back a CGC 4.5 because the back cover (not shown) has a big chunk out of it and the interior has a huge blood stain ( not disclosed), or the 3.0 returns as a 2.0 because the cover is almost entirely detached ( not disclosed ), or those 8.5-9.0 raw that were imaged on a black background (how often do they image on a black background??) all had bad black tanning on the spines and tops of all the books.

You say that like it happened to you :baiting: