• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM JLA 28 (Harsh Grade?)
1 1

5 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I was hoping to get some feedback regarding some books I recently got back from CGC.  I've submitted several times to CGC and this current batch seemed to be graded significantly lower than previously.  I'm open to the possibility that this was an unlucky batch, but I was hoping the community could offer their 2 cents.  

One comic as an example... what would you grade this book?

Justice League of America # 28 6/64

Grader Notes:  light creasing to cover, light staining to cover.  Off-White to White Pages

My Reaction:  I understand the significance of a stain and how that can easily bring a 9.0 book down to a 7.0 but I cant find a stain for the life of me (at least a stain that resembles foxing/water).  Is it possible the stain is more visible on the inside of the front cover?  I'm also concerned that when the book was sealed the bottom left section of the book was creased/bent.  I saw this as a book that would land somewhere in the 8.5-9.2 range but maybe someone can spot something that I missed.  

Thanks for your feedback!

IMG_1021.jpg

IMG_1010.jpg

IMG_1011.jpg

IMG_1012.jpg

IMG_1013.jpg

Edited by Samgdoug

Thanks Deadpoolica,

Thats the closest I can see to a "stain"... but to my eye its just light dirt that could be removed with a white eraser (too bad I didnt do that!)

That being said, I wouldnt have thought that minor, removable dirt would take the book down from 8.5-9.2 range to 7

I agree with DP, that it will be hard to tell with it slabbed, but I see two areas where there are possible stains, 1- to the left of Aquaman’s sign might be a tide line or maybe just soiled. 2- it looks like there are dark spots on The bottom edge of the BC and LLBC. Keep in mind “cover” in the notes can be front or back if the grader isn’t specific.

The LRFC edge/corner is bent with small creases and it looks like there are two short printers creases on the LLBC and I think you might be able to see one of them on Supe’s leg on the opposite side. 

IMO - A 7.0 seems harsh to me, but I wouldn’t give it better than an 8.0. :foryou: