• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Signature Series Spawn #1 - - but no autograph on the cover
1 1

19 posts in this topic

I had my CGC 9.8 Spawn #1 book signed my Todd McFarlane and graded. It arrived in the mail today. The banner at the top is yellow and it says: "Signed by Todd McFarlane on 01/20/2020" but I don't see McFarlane's signature anywhere on the cover. I've been staring at it for the past 15 minutes and there is no signature.

Is this an oversight on CGC's part? What recourse do I have?

I paid $100 USD for the original 9.8 Universal slab of Spawn #1. I paid another $100 to have it signed by McFarlane . There were others costs such as shipping, duty and taxes. So I've spent a lot of money and I really want to see Todd's signature on my special comic. What should I do?

I figure this might have happened to other collectors before so I first began exploring on  Google but I couldn't find the right search terms. Like, I tried searching for:

• cgc signature series absent signature
  • cgc signature series no signature
  • cgc signature series "no signature"

..but I couldn't find any results relevant to my issue.

Edited by Drone4four
changed title wording

1 hour ago, Lest 2 Art said:

...a picture might help.

Here it is on imgur: https://imgur.com/6ABw9uu

1 hour ago, JasonMc said:

Look really really close. Todd has been known to sign in black ink on black parts of the cover.

I checked the all the dark blue/purple/black areas. I can't see anything. Todd always signs Spawn #1 inside the green fog by Spawn's right hand.

Edited by Drone4four
Add JasonMc comment

not sure why you wouldn't go directly to CGC

customer service is going to be your best bet  https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/93395-customer-service/

also as Lest stated you should know where he would have signed as all submissions required that they were window bagged

"Put ALL ungraded books in window bags or they will not be accepted."

best of luck

Edited by StillOnly25Cents

Also not a big deal and contacting Cgc is way better, but this seems like the the kind of question that would suited to include a picture

You may not like the answer, and I do hope that I am wrong in my observation but by viewing your website photo, his pen touched the book in gold pen very tiny. Look at TM initials and go towards your right at the top near the cape is a little gold line. 

1063192692_ScreenShot2020-05-15at7_44_38PM.png.1bb5515fdeb02e9e4b1553a949ff6615.png

Here is a screen shot of a normal cover found online the same area..... no gold line. 

1832707337_ScreenShot2020-05-15at7_52_06PM.png.fcaf9091256c7250426e5eaba8de1cdb.png

13 hours ago, StillOnly25Cents said:

^ ouch 

maybe that’s when he took his one bathroom break

Hopefully he didn't Costanza it

21243029_bookinbathroom.gif.6d3ea87061c9

Edited by Jeffro.

On 5/14/2020 at 3:27 PM, Drone4four said:

I had my CGC 9.8 Spawn #1 book signed my Todd McFarlane and graded. It arrived in the mail today. The banner at the top is yellow and it says: "Signed by Todd McFarlane on 01/20/2020" but I don't see McFarlane's signature anywhere on the cover. I've been staring at it for the past 15 minutes and there is no signature.

Is this an oversight on CGC's part? What recourse do I have?

I paid $100 USD for the original 9.8 Universal slab of Spawn #1. I paid another $100 to have it signed by McFarlane . There were others costs such as shipping, duty and taxes. So I've spent a lot of money and I really want to see Todd's signature on my special comic. What should I do?

I figure this might have happened to other collectors before so I first began exploring on  Google but I couldn't find the right search terms. Like, I tried searching for:

• cgc signature series absent signature
  • cgc signature series no signature
  • cgc signature series "no signature"

..but I couldn't find any results relevant to my issue.

This sounds like an awesome where is Waldo

Can you post pics?

21 hours ago, Drone4four said:

Here it is on imgur: https://imgur.com/6ABw9uu

I checked the all the dark blue/purple/black areas. I can't see anything. Todd always signs Spawn #1 inside the green fog by Spawn's right hand.

That is awesome 

You have a very rare Todd McFarlane invisible ink sig

Hi Everyone: I am back!

My comic arrived yesterday. Here it is corrected with Todd McFarlane's signature: https://imgur.com/20BxWde

This is the thank you follow up email I sent to CGC. I thought you people might enjoy reading this too:

Dear CGC!

This email is an enormous thank you and warm kudos for my customer service experience provided by Kateeja Ishmael, Christopher M. Schenck and the whole team at CGC Comics / NGC Coin. Please ensure that Kateeja’s manager in particular sees this.

Prepare yourself for a glowing testimonial.

Here is my story from beginning to end.

When my 9.8 Spawn #1 SS by Todd McFarlane encapsulated comic arrived in May of this year with Todd’s autograph absent and missing, I was devastated. When I reached out to you people for support, my first point of contact was Kateeja. Kateeja arranged the Mechanical Error process and answered all my questions over email and at one point Kateeja went beyond the call of duty by personally calling FedEx on my behalf to correct a shipping label misunderstanding when my package got stranded for a week or two. The ordeal was nerve racking for me as I watched helpless from my computer screen, tracking my package sitting idle for weeks at a FedEx shipping center. I was apprehensive. But sure enough, my package eventually arrived at your warehouse in Sarasota, Florida some time in June. What a relief that was!

When I got an email last week saying that my package was estimated to arrive on August 28, I was stoked (!) to only be discouraged hours later when FedEx reported shipping exceptions and more delays. =/ 

However today my brand new comic finally arrived safely. Attached is a photo of the comic in perfect condition with Todd’s autograph in place. My issue has been resolved.

I’m so ecstatic right now that it no longer matters who wins the Super Bowl anymore. I don’t care if I never get a Vaxxine for COVID-19 either. Who cares if Donald Trump wins the 2020 Presidential election this fall or again in 2024 or even in 2028. All that matters right now is that I have my Spawn #1 Signature Series by Todd is in my custody today.

As you can tell, Spawn carries tremendous sentimental value to me. You guys did great! I'm a satisfied customer.

What a wild ride that was. This is my story. Thanks for reading.

My final request is to receive confirmation that Kateeja’s manager has seen this testimonial.

Special thanks to Kateeja,

Spawn cropped -IMG_20200902_182429.jpg