• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What comics do OA boardies collect?

15 posts in this topic

Let's hear it!  Comic pickups are rare for me, maybe a few every couple of months... I'm all over the place era-wise, gravitate towards strong covers by artists that I love and/or harder-to-find books.  Unlike with OA, there's really no modus operandi.  I don't care much about condition. 

Like many on here, I also enjoy purchasing/reading books for which I own the OA, esp. when doing so won't kill my wallet (OA is killer enough).  Speaking of which, many comics have fallen prey to sales for OA over the years...

Some fun notables -- a humble AF15 CGC 2.0 SS, a Marvel Mystery Comics #2 Voldy 0.3 (color copy cover) (book published in 1939, predating even my 1946 Seven Seas #1 Baker OA), and a Venom: Lethal Protector #1 Black Cover/Printing Error CGC 8.5, one of 2-3 newsstand editions with the error known to exist. 

Edited by exitmusicblue

I buy some comics, and end up throwing most of them into a drawer without reading them. Old habits die hard. I will also buy books with the Phantom Stranger in them, but more as a shopping guide for OA. I will also buy the occasional independent at shows if the writer or artist is interesting. Mixed bag when reading them. Some were fun. Some were better as an idea than a storyline.

I mostly read digitally on a tablet, but some titles I've been enjoying lately are more recent ASM and the rebirth Nightwing, both of which I recommend. I also enjoyed Red Hood and the Outlaws up until issue 18 or 19, but after that I thought it kind of fell apart.

9 hours ago, Blastaar said:

Once I decided to make the switch to OA I stopped collecting comics. I do buy Omnibus collections to read. I love that that option is available, such a great way to read a run or complete story line. 

Don't forget that if no one buys comics, there won't be future OA.

I seldom buy old comics though I picked up an All-American #6. 

However, I do have a pull list. It’s a bit long so I put it spoiler tags. 

Spoiler
There are some creators that I will trust on almost anything - Art Baltazar, Jason Aaron, Dan Abnett, Kurt Busiek, Jeff Lemire, and a few others.

Some books I read in the trades. For some, I'm years and years behind, but that makes for good Christmas/Birthday/Anniversary presents.

Dark Horse
• Usagi Yojimbo - If you aren't reading this you are making a terrible mistake.

• Age of Bronze - What can I say, I loved the Iliad, the Odyssey, and the Aeneid.
• Invincible - Fun comic though it has it's dark moments
• Powers

Vertigo
• Preacher

My monthly pull list:

Abstract Studios
  • Five Years - The Terryverse countdown is running. Can it be saved? 

Action Lab
  •  

Archaia
  • Mouse Guard - mideaval mouse civilization struggles in their world - wonderful
Aftershock
  •  
Antarctic Press
  • Punchline - Girl gets powers and a mentor and then...
Boom!
  • Black Badge - What kids who want more than scouting gives do.
  • Once and Future - Excalibur’s scabard shows up and Arthur shows up in England’s darkest hour, but is he the cause of that hour?
  • Folklords - In a world of wonders, one rebellious teen seeks our mundane world

Dark Horse
  • Black Hammer - Sort of a version of the JLA trapped in a universe where time doesn’t seem to flow much. Interesting read by Jeff Lemire.
  • Black Hammer ’45 - Set during WW2
  • Elfquest - 35 years old and still strong. Remarkable work.
  •  

DC
  • Action Comics - Good stories well told
  • Aquaman - Good stories well told
  • Batman/Superman
  • DCeased - Sort of a zombie tale
  • Dial H for Hero - fun stuff
  • Doom Patrol - an odd but interesting book not sure where it is going
  • Doomsday Clock - a solid story tarnished by late delivery - read it in a trade!
  • Far Sector - A young GL out on the edges 
  • Flash - A younger Barry Allen, but not unlike the Silver Age one.
  • Flash Forward - Wally West lost in the multiverse
  • Green Lantern
  • Inferior 5 - not to be confused with the original, but an interesting tale set after Invasion
  • Jimmy Olsen - fun
  • Justice League
  • Justice League Dark
  • Justice League Odyssey
  • Legion of Super-Heroes
  • Lois Lane - mystery by Rucka and Perkins and worth the read
  • Metal Men - Shane Davis’ best art
  • Shazam - a reasonable compromise between the original and more recent takes.
  • Supergirl
  • Superman - Excellent series so far of the pre-Flashpoint Superman and family in the Rebirth world
  • Superman Smashes the Klan - excellent
  • Superman Up in the Sky - a very moving story
  • Superman’s Pal, Jimmy Olsen - It’s a hoot
  • Terrifics - Mr. Terrific and a team take on the worlds
  • Titans
  • Wonder Twins - Silly, but fun
  • Wonder Woman - One of the best of the new 52, I really enjoy it, but the team is changing
  • Young Justice 
Dynamite
  •  

Fantagraphics
  •  

Icon
  •  

IDW
  • Ragnarok - Walt Simonson visits the Norse myths after the big event. Wonderful art backed by a solid well paced story with interesting characters. Buy this book.

• A Distant Soil - Probably better to start with the remastered trades. She's doing the last dozen issues now.
  • Curse Words - a devil escapes from Hell to save the world ?
  • Copperhead - Story of the sheriff of the titular town - space western
  • Excellence - Power struggle at the peak of society
  • Farmhand - Literally, spare parts are grown on a Louisiana farm, but there’s much more going on.
  • Isola - A queen turned to a tiger due to the failure of her trusted guard
  • Middlewest - Skottie Young crafts a tale of three generations with terrible tempers and power to match
  • Outpost Zero - a generation ship crashes on a snowball of a planet and 
  • Outer Darkness - Demon powered space ships and ...
  • Paper Girls - a group of paper delivery girls goes out one morning and it gets really strange - terrific book
  • Prodigy - Mark Millar writes, I buy. It’s that simple
  • Sea of Stars - Space pilot dad and son get separated and then 
  • Seven to Eternity - A quest to save their home
  • Trees - Giant towers land on earth
  • Undiscovered Country - The US locked off from the rest of the world and a global plague
kaboom!
  •  

Marvel
  • Thor (various titles) - Jason Aaron continues the best Thor streak ever
  • Miles Morales: Spider-man - a young man gains spiderpowers and tries to do good with them as he grows
  • Power Pack

Oni Press
  •  
Thirdworld Studios
  • The Stuff of Legend - Excellent book with beautiful story telling
Valiant
  •  

Vertigo (DC)
  • HIgh Level - A quest

Great stuff.    I rarely collect comics anymore.   Once in a blue moon I will buy a Canadian white or a marvel pre-hero.

I do still have a decent number of comics from years ago but a lot of the keys were sold off to fund other things.

I just kind of enjoy them like I did as a kid now, enjoying the art and stories.     That makes my disneys, 80s Independents, Swamp Thing, Groo, etc some of my favorites ;)   The stuff I enjoyed as a kid, mostly.    I've read lots of older material and really enjoyed it as well and never thought I'd be focussed on my particular era, but ultimately when I boil it down, I guess that's my favorite era.

Edited by Bronty

Used to read Batman, GL, Justice League vs Darkseid graphic novels from local public libraries when they were open b4 Covid-19. Bought a few Batmans, Detectives, Isola floppies when I see them on sale, as LCS's B| starting to re-open now.

I feel like when we’re taking about comics, a distinction needs to be made between ‘collecting’ comics and buying comics to read. 

I read a fair amount of comics, mostly digitally on comiXology or monthly services like Marvel Unlimited or Amazon Unlimited, and sometimes in trade paperbacks. But I wouldn’t say I’m collecting these. 

If any of these make a real impact and I feel they deserve multiple reads, I’ll buy the collected versions as oversized hardcovers or omnibuses or absolute editions. I suppose that at that point these form part of a collection on my shelf. But even then I wouldn’t consider that I’m collecting these as I readily give those away to friends who show an interest. And I can easily purchase them again at retail (mostly).

BUT what I do collect when it comes to comics a some handful of key issues and first appearances. I’m not buying them to read them.  And if I do want to read them, I can just read them digitally or in reprint.  These comics I’m only buying only to collect. 

0B47E92B-7B43-477E-BF19-ECFCE7AD212C.thumb.jpeg.5250756bfdb4ae21856cdfad12fccd84.jpeg