• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ever yell at a comic creator?
4 4

194 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, kilowatt said:

I went to a comic show in Akron, Ohio around 20+ years ago, and John Byrne was there as a guest. He was in a separate room drawing most of the day, and when the he`d finish a sketch he would auction it off and the proceeds went to The Ronald McDonald House Charity. The entire time I was there it was nothing but She-Hulk, not really my favorite character, but still cool to watch him. Bidding ran around $100 or so, and he kept pumping them out. He must have had a time slot because he had mentioned he was leaving shortly and he only had time for a couple more. One of the guys in the room was kind of loud and he said to his friend how Byrne was a hack and a terrible artist, and he only knew how to draw She-Hulk because he copied all his X-Men characters. Unfortunately everyone including Mr. Byrne heard it. He set his pencil down, and proceeded to rip this guy a new one. How this no talent @!#$% has the nerve to criticize his work and insisting he came up there and do a better job. I felt embarrassed for the guy as everyone applauded. Well, most exited the room figuring he was done for the day. I watched the auction end and walked out. As i was leaving the show, I circled back around and he had just finished one last sketch. He held it up and it was Wolverine, his back arched and his claws out in front. Beautiful! There were only 3 of us in the room and the bidding started at $25. I bid $30 and to my surprise nobody upped it. I won! He called me up and asked how much "blood & guts" I wanted on the claws, and I told him to do it up. As he was putting the final art on the piece, he apologized for becoming so irate with the guy earlier, and how everyone is entitled to their opinions, and I had the proof he can draw other characters. I found out later he actually donated his time to help out the charity and received nothing in return. Nothing. He really was a nice guy and I felt bad for him having to go through that. I guess some people are jealous of other peoples talents and can do nothing but try to bring them down. I wasn`t in the line of fire that day, but witnessed it.  

I have a new found respect for John Byrne

Len Wein told me to get lost when I kept giving him stacks of comics to sign.. many of which he was only the editor on... he was starting to baffle and say to himself what the hell is this kid doing?

4 minutes ago, littledoom said:

In a letter Steve Ditko told me to not send him any more letters and that he had no opinions on anything for anyone .... Sincerely, Steve Ditko

Tell him that's his opinion.

12 hours ago, FoggyNelson said:

I heard Neal Adams was mean😷😷😷

Not the nicest guy on earth but one helluva legend ... he frequents the NYC/ north NJ shows as I believe he’s close so I’ve ran into him a bit 

The gross majority of guys I’ve met / interacted with have been super cool ...

16 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

I had Neal Adam's sign one of his sketch books because I admire his artistry.  He starts ranting about it going on Ebay and making a profit on his signature.  I told him it was for me only, he says" yeah right". I still have that sketchbook,  but I lost a little bit of respect for one of my artist heroes. 

I just wanted an autograph and a handshake,  not a rant regarding opportunistic people. 

If you are getting it personalized to you folks know it is less ebayable

1 minute ago, the blob said:

If you are getting it personalized to you folks know it is less ebayable

It is personalized.  I think he just has blue shirt syndrome. 

I'm gonna mail him a  colorful Hawaiian shirt, see if he wears it.

6 hours ago, oakman29 said:

I had Neal Adam's sign one of his sketch books because I admire his artistry.  He starts ranting about it going on Ebay and making a profit on his signature.  I told him it was for me only, he says" yeah right". I still have that sketchbook,  but I lost a little bit of respect for one of my artist heroes. 

I just wanted an autograph and a handshake,  not a rant regarding opportunistic people. 

What the :censored: is his problem

You should have said

"Listen dude, anyone can draw stickman"

On 5/15/2020 at 10:10 PM, MGsimba77 said:

Jim Shooter probably yelled at someone once or twice. Not the most charming guy on earth

Not my experience at all. The Valiantfans message board had several meet ups in New York for various panels and other events. One time several of us sat with Jim at his table, and he told story after story about his time with Valiant and other things. Very friendly, answered all the questions and signed my copy of Adventure Comics #346, probably my favorite signed book in my collection.

2 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

What the :censored: is his problem

You should have said

"Listen dude, anyone can draw stickman"

You know that is the only time out of hundreds of times I've met comic creators. That one sticks out because it was the only negative reaction ever. Maybe he was just having a bad day. We all can have a bad day once in a while. 

37 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

You know that is the only time out of hundreds of times I've met comic creators. That one sticks out because it was the only negative reaction ever. Maybe he was just having a bad day. We all can have a bad day once in a while. 

Yep

I've had my fair share of bad days

What about comic shop horror stories? They exist.. you know the type of store owners I'm talking about.. those that grab the comic out of your hand and tell you it's not that price ..And they quote you a $100 price tag.. they always have a specific look Hawaiian shirt, shorts, white beard, bald

2 hours ago, Brother J said:

Not my experience at all. The Valiantfans message board had several meet ups in New York for various panels and other events. One time several of us sat with Jim at his table, and he told story after story about his time with Valiant and other things. Very friendly, answered all the questions and signed my copy of Adventure Comics #346, probably my favorite signed book in my collection.

That's great! A friend of mine that's a dealer once asked him at a con if he could sign his full name with the "Jim" included. He got a death stare in return with a regular "Shooter" sig. He also knows of customers who asked the same, they got just plain NOs. Of course that doesn't make him evil or anything but just something to keep in mind. His wife on the other hand got lucky and received the full sig on an SW8 recently which I bought  

13 hours ago, oakman29 said:

I would have gave him the prison death stare and said "are you calling me a liar?"

On 5/15/2020 at 9:50 PM, mattn792 said:

Don Rosa is a total jag, but he didn’t yell at me.  I have failed :/

I once witnessed that ***hole cut the line when checking into a hotel in Charlotte during Heroes Con. Everyone yelled at him. He had a dumb smirk on his face.

Edited by letsgrumble
Added *** for you-know-what.

Three comic creators have yelled at me:

Carmine Infantino. Asked him to sign a Star Wars comic that he'd drawn. He said he didn't have anything to do with it. I said his signature was printed on the cover. He got really upset and proceeded to rip me a new ***hole. David Spurlock, who was representing him, stood behind him and just motioned to me to let him have his rant. That was fine. It was an honour getting chewed out by a legend.

(thumbsu

D**k Giordano. Another creator who was on in years. I asked him to sign a Wonder Woman comic he'd drawn. He had all these sharpies with him and I asked him to use gold. After he signed his name, he looked at the cover and freaked out. He said my choice of sharpie ruined the comic. I didn't really care. But he got REALLY upset and started yelling at me to the point where I thought he was going to have a stroke. His wife, who was with him, kept trying to calm him down. Oh boy.... but as with Infantino it was an honour getting chewed out by a legend.

(thumbsu

Frank Cho. It was a slow Thursday or Friday at a con and I noticed that he was just chilling at his booth. I had a few New Avengers comics with me that were previously signed by Bendis. There were only a few books and I asked him for his signature. He then went into a rant about how scumbags like me were ruining the industry and that I was going to profit from his signature, etc., etc. I said that I was a fan and had no intention of selling them. But he continued. I'm a pretty calm person and I do my best to avoid confrontations but he was no Infantino or Giordano so I wasn't going to take it. Anyway, after a few choice words, he stopped, I walked away, and that was that.

:mad:

Only three times out of the many creators I have met over the years have yelled at me. Only one crossed the line.

Edited by letsgrumble
Added ** for you-know what.