• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ever yell at a comic creator?
4 4

194 posts in this topic

20 hours ago, oakman29 said:

I had Neal Adam's sign one of his sketch books because I admire his artistry.  He starts ranting about it going on Ebay and making a profit on his signature.  I told him it was for me only, he says" yeah right". I still have that sketchbook,  but I lost a little bit of respect for one of my artist heroes. 

I just wanted an autograph and a handshake,  not a rant regarding opportunistic people. 

Adams was probably pleasant to me because I told him how I grew up appreciating his work and did not ask for a signature. And my pretty girlfriend (now wife) was with me, so I had showered. And it was not comicon, it was the ny art Expo at javitz. I probably would have gotten yelled at otherwise.

2 hours ago, letsgrumble said:

This was the infamous comic that got D**k Giordano upset. Maybe rightly so! lol

WonderWoman1942-202-CGC94SS-0979819002.jpeg.1b9d0be70e82e01e9c39fc4a9687742a.jpeg

You could list on ebay for big buck$ as Giordiano melt down pedigree.

19 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

That's great! A friend of mine that's a dealer once asked him at a con if he could sign his full name with the "Jim" included. He got a death stare in return with a regular "Shooter" sig. He also knows of customers who asked the same, they got just plain NOs. Of course that doesn't make him evil or anything but just something to keep in mind. His wife on the other hand got lucky and received the full sig on an SW8 recently which I bought  

I've never seen him sign anything other than the Shooter. I don't think I would have the nerve to tell a creator or anyone else I would want a signature from HOW to sign their name, other than where to place the signature on the book.

23 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

That's great! A friend of mine that's a dealer once asked him at a con if he could sign his full name with the "Jim" included. He got a death stare in return with a regular "Shooter" sig. He also knows of customers who asked the same, they got just plain NOs. Of course that doesn't make him evil or anything but just something to keep in mind. His wife on the other hand got lucky and received the full sig on an SW8 recently which I bought  

Not a comic creator, but a friend of mine met Jim Morrison after a concert in the early ‘70’s. He asked for an autograph. He was a little star struck. Morrison signed the piece of paper and left. My friend then looked at it and it was signed “Jim”...

On 5/15/2020 at 9:02 PM, littledoom said:

Len Wein told me to get lost when I kept giving him stacks of comics to sign.. many of which he was only the editor on... he was starting to baffle and say to himself what the hell is this kid doing?

No offense, but I hardly blame him. Not something that a real fan does. Obviously, someone wanting to make a buck off him. This is part of the reason we all have to pay for autographs from s creator now...

On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2020 at 11:03 PM, Hollywood1892 said:

I have a new found respect for John Byrne

John Byrne was scheduled to fly in to be one of three guests at a tiny fund raising thing for a local public school here in NYC run by a PTA mom who had a bunch of connections in the industry. My friend knew her and we set up a table along with another couple of local folks selling comics with a share going to the school. The school had an arts focus so it made some sense. Not sure if they charged at the door or whatever. Anyway, this was probably 1996 and the line was into the street for gaiman (who was one of the other guests, along with Claremont), Byrne wound up cancelling due to some legit sounding reason, but the reality was that he was going to fly in to do this to help his friend's school, no pay. I think Claremont and gaiman might have already been in NYC at the time. That was the first time I realized there were actually female comic groupies given the number of attractive 16 - 22 year old women waiting on line to meet gaiman.

22 hours ago, kav said:

I would have gave him the prison death stare and said "are you calling me a liar?"

I would have said "no, your old signature is worth more...you know, back when you did work that was actually well drawn".

I am open to having my mind changed by a piece of Neal Adams work that he has done since the 80s that is any bit decent. 

Edited by comicginger1789

Something in his line work has changed over time that just hasn't grown or appealed to me. It's nice...maybe it's when colour is added to his work nowadays that makes me hate it. I can imagine that in colour and it would look terrible. Perhaps Neal needs to do some B&W work on a title...that I would be into. 

1 minute ago, comicginger1789 said:

Something in his line work has changed over time that just hasn't grown or appealed to me.

His artwork started to look a bit scratchier and had more lines in it from, I'd say, maybe the early 90s onwards, perhaps to adapt to the Image Comics style back then?  His recent Batman / Ra's Al Ghul book has some really disappointing, sloppy art in it.

Just now, Ken Aldred said:

His artwork started to look a bit scratchier and had more lines in it from, I'd say, maybe the early 90s onwards, perhaps to adapt to the Image Comics style back then?  His recent Batman / Ra's Al Ghul book has some really disappointing, sloppy art in it.

Yeah thats how I have felt. Early on, great work. Seemed to have been done with patience and care. A lot since though seems rushed. 

Some of these stories reaffirm my reluctance to pay money to stand in line for a long time just to meet some stranger who's work I happen to enjoy.  At the end of the day, they are just normal people who have varying emotions.  You can always catch someone on the wrong day or wrong time and you never know how someone is going to act.

19 minutes ago, Keys_Collector said:

Some of these stories reaffirm my reluctance to pay money to stand in line for a long time just to meet some stranger who's work I happen to enjoy.  At the end of the day, they are just normal people who have varying emotions.  You can always catch someone on the wrong day or wrong time and you never know how someone is going to act.

It's interesting that you put it that way. I have intermittently caught flak about getting things signed and not doing it in person.  The idea being that conventional wisdom says "a signature should be be about having a moment with the creator."  While that is certainly true sometimes, for me it was more about "collecting" the autographs - liked having them signed just like I liked autographed sports cards.

I have been known to have an acid tongue that leaves bullies slack jawed.  I need to go to some cons.  Some folks need lessons in how to not act.

Byrne did just one official signing at a convention in 2004. If I'm not mistaken that may have been his only one ever? I think I remember reading about some interesting things he had to say. Maybe I saw it on these boards, anyway It was something regarding the personal hygiene of either collectors in general or just the people in his line. Something about deodorant? Not a temper tantrum but an interesting tidbit. Hopefully someone can add some details.