• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ever yell at a comic creator?
4 4

194 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, seanfingh said:

I have never been yelled at by a comic creator - I have seen some of them get really grumpy. Adam Hughes threw a fit when I was in his line once. I saw Marv Wolfman get pretty agitated once. I got mad and threw a temper tantrum at Arthur Suydam one year (I think at WWCh). I asked him to sign my copy of Cholly & Flytrap #1 and he told me that I needed to spend $30 at his table for an autograph. I'm pretty sure my response was "Dude, it's Cholly and Flytrap, not Marvel Zombies."  He said no money, no auto, so i looked him right in the eye and threw the book in the trash. @mschmidt fished it out and gave it back to me later. He just couldn't stand me pitching a perfectly good comic . . . 

Why are these guys always so stuck up?

10 hours ago, littledoom said:

Why are these guys always so stuck up?

I'm not sure. Suydam was clearly set up to cash in on the extreme popularity of the Marvel Zombies. He had a huge set up and it was very well visited. I do not begrudge him at all making money on a very popular series.  I just thought it was super crass of him.  If he had a sign that said autographs $30 or something, then I could have decided about the transaction. But there was no indication of any cost or anything; he just sprang it on me. And this is back when most everyone was free other than Stan, Neal Adams and maybe a couple others.  I think Joe Kubert was asking for a $5 donation to Heroes Initiative per sig, if that gives any perspective. 

29 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I don’t like Marv Wolfman. He was at a small local con. I walked up and asked him to sign a Teen Titans. There was no line or anyone there. He gave me a blank stare, signed it and said “5 bucks”. I said I didn’t know there was a fee. He told me “I don’t give anything away for free” and stuck out his hand. I turned around and handed it to a kid behind me and walked off. 

Frankly, I think his work sucks anyway. I just happed to have one of his books and had the opportunity. What a tool...

WOW!

Who does he think he is?

What a way to turn people off of your product

19 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

Billy Tan, and Mike Mignola were THE nicest guys .

Haven't met Billy Tan, but Mignola is indeed a mensch.

The one time I met John Byrne, he wouldn't look at or acknowledge the fans, just took the books, signed and handed it back. Not that he owed anyone anything, but it was a bit off-putting. I only had one book, not a stack, and just wanted it signed as a fan, oh well. 

My favorite pros I've met are Dave Stevens, Sergio Aragones, Brian Stelfreeze, Darwyn Cooke, Evan Dorkin, Dave Cockrum, Jeff Smith, Keith Giffen, Dan Decarlo...really, most of em have been awesome! Some guys are polite but transactional, and I respect that. Some are very friendly and generous. Some don't have much to say but are still nice about it. But I'd say the overwhelming majority, like 95% or better, have been positive experiences. And even the less positive (Byrne, Peter David, Kurt Busiek, etc) weren't disasters. Just not super nice.

As has been mentioned, it does help if you aren't a greedy, needy dweeb.

I almost yelled at Kneel Atoms "Youre a hack!".  I would have done it if I was at a con and went to cons and he was there.

Robert Kirkman was great to talk to.  

At the end I was in the process of looking at his trade paperbacks, he noticed I was interested in a Walking Dead Vol 1, asked me to pick out a nice copy (he’d noticed me going through them), signed it for me, and then told me I could take it away for free.

What can you say.

Edited by Ken Aldred

2 hours ago, kav said:

I almost yelled at Kneel Atoms "Youre a hack!".  I would have done it if I was at a con and went to cons and he was there.

I bet you wouldn’t.

He’s one of your favourites, and no replacement for what you really would’ve enjoyed, which would’ve been yelling that at Frank Robbins, while holding a blow-up of his infamous Nomad panel as proof to all.

Edited by Ken Aldred

13 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

I bet you wouldn’t.

He’s one of your favourites, and no replacement for what you really would’ve enjoyed, which would’ve been yelling that at Frank Robbins, while holding a blow-up of his infamous Nomad panel as proof to all.

I wouldnt.  I love ol Kneel.  He can yell at me all he wants and accuse me of ebaying stuff.  I'd just say I love you enough for both of us.

21 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I don’t like Marv Wolfman. He was at a small local con. I walked up and asked him to sign a Teen Titans. There was no line or anyone there. He gave me a blank stare, signed it and said “5 bucks”. I said I didn’t know there was a fee. He told me “I don’t give anything away for free” and stuck out his hand. I turned around and handed it to a kid behind me and walked off. 

Frankly, I think his work sucks anyway. I just happed to have one of his books and had the opportunity. What a tool...

He was at a show in Toronto some years ago. I had about 12-15 books with me that I wanted him to sign. He was sitting alone at a table. When I went up to him, he said he would sign ten books but after that, I'd have to go to the end of the line and wait before he'd sign the next ten. So, after he signed ten, I turned around and there wasn't anyone there. So he insisted on waiting until another person came, but no one ever did. After some awkward silence, he proceeded to sign the rest of my books. The end.

O.o

1 hour ago, letsgrumble said:

He was at a show in Toronto some years ago. I had about 12-15 books with me that I wanted him to sign. He was sitting alone at a table. When I went up to him, he said he would sign ten books but after that, I'd have to go to the end of the line and wait before he'd sign the next ten. So, after he signed ten, I turned around and there wasn't anyone there. So he insisted on waiting until another person came, but no one ever did. After some awkward silence, he proceeded to sign the rest of my books. The end.

On 5/15/2020 at 7:02 PM, Robot Man said:

Brought this book to SDCC one year to get signed. Since Martin Nodel was there and created the original character, I figured what the heck. Mart and Carrie being the simply wonderful people they are, didn't say anything and signed it with a smile. But, I had a plan. Real reason I brought it was to have Gil Kane sign it. Walked over to his table that he was sharing with Julie Schwartz and carefully pulled it out and asked him to sign on the splash.

He went off when he saw Nodel's signature calling him a string of names I can't say here. and grumbling about his !@#$%^& green ink. I was a little shocked and frankly a little scared. Julie took a look at it and signed it with a smile. He told Kane to "sign the kid's book Gil". So begrudgingly signed his name on it and my GL #1 which was similarily signed by Nodel.

I guess there was some bad blood (probably on Kane's part) who was probably accused of ripping off the original even though they were two separate characters.

At the end of the day, I came home with a couple pretty unique books...

comshowcase22b.jpg

comshowcase22a.jpg

I love this story. 'Sign the kids book Gil'.