• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ever yell at a comic creator?
4 4

194 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, seanfingh said:

If I were there, I would have pushed you down.  Suck it.

The things I did for MutantKey back in the day for signatures for his books.

He would always call me over at SDCC whenever he sees me and tries to get me into a line.  It was during the wild west days when any monkey could be a facilitator and witness their own books.

I remembered when Todd was signing one year and I got drafted into getting two sigs done.  Thankfully, we did a ridiculous cut to near of the front of the line move and no one said anything. 

On 5/15/2020 at 10:53 PM, kilowatt said:

I went to a comic show in Akron, Ohio around 20+ years ago, and John Byrne was there as a guest. He was in a separate room drawing most of the day, and when he`d finish a sketch he would auction it off and the proceeds went to The Ronald McDonald House Charity. The entire time I was there it was nothing but She-Hulk, not really my favorite character, but still cool to watch him. Bidding ran around $100 or so, and he kept pumping them out. He must have had a time slot because he had mentioned he was leaving shortly and he only had time for a couple more. One of the guys in the room was kind of loud and he said to his friend how Byrne was a hack and a terrible artist, and he only knew how to draw She-Hulk because he copied all his X-Men characters. Unfortunately everyone including Mr. Byrne heard it. He set his pencil down, and proceeded to rip this guy a new one. How this no talent @!#$% has the nerve to criticize his work and insisting he came up there and do a better job. I felt embarrassed for the guy as everyone applauded. Well, most exited the room figuring he was done for the day. I watched the auction end and walked out. As i was leaving the show, I circled back around and he had just finished one last sketch. He held it up and it was Wolverine, his back arched and his claws out in front. Beautiful! There were only 3 of us in the room and the bidding started at $25. I bid $30 and to my surprise nobody upped it. I won! He called me up and asked how much "blood & guts" I wanted on the claws, and I told him to do it up. As he was putting the final art on the piece, he apologized for becoming so irate with the guy earlier, and how everyone is entitled to their opinions, and I had the proof he can draw other characters. I found out later he actually donated his time to help out the charity and received nothing in return. Nothing. He really was a nice guy and I felt bad for him having to go through that. I guess some people are jealous of other peoples talents and can do nothing but try to bring them down. I wasn`t in the line of fire that day, but witnessed it.  

That's a great story...  (thumbsu

4 minutes ago, greggy said:

The things I did for MutantKey back in the day for signatures for his books.

He would always call me over at SDCC whenever he sees me and tries to get me into a line.  It was during the wild west days when any monkey could be a facilitator and witness their own books.

I remembered when Todd was signing one year and I got drafted into getting two sigs done.  Thankfully, we did a ridiculous cut to near of the front of the line move and no one said anything. 

You were in the Todd line with me at WWChicago in 2008 as well. That was a sh*tshow.

1 hour ago, Turtle said:

If you were some random dude on the internet, I'd probably think you were some sort of keyboard warrior windbag just making up a story to make himself feel better. 

...But I know you.  Well done! :roflmao:

Didn't you and I go over to Joe and Mark Sinnott and yell at them? Ahahahaha

20 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Some of these creators sound like they are cruising for a bruising 

They are and a lot would deserve it. 

At the show I was just referencing where Adam and I yelled at SInnott, I was waiting for Roy Thomas.  I needed two books signed.  I got there early to be number one on line.  We all waited about an hour for him to finally show up.  When Roy sets his stuff down he looks up at the line (about 100 people) and he decides to go for a 30 minute waltz around the convention center.  When he finally returns he sits down and his handlers start accepting what looks to be 400 books from Desert Wind and Roy proceeds to sign them. 

How I didn't burn down the building that day escapes me.

27 minutes ago, devilsrain said:

Didn't you and I go over to Joe and Mark Sinnott and yell at them? Ahahahaha

WE definitely went over to them.  I'm not sure WE yelled at them.  I do remember some yelling though.  hm

Good times!  Thanks again for helping me get that turtle sketch.  It seems that sometimes a little yelling can yield some results.  lol

Just now, Turtle said:

WE definitely went over to them.  I'm not sure WE yelled at them.  I do remember some yelling though.  hm

Good times!  Thanks again for helping me get that turtle sketch.  It seems that sometimes a little yelling can yield some results.  lol

Ok maybe I yelled at him.  And to put it into context I had picked up a sketch from Sinnott earlier that I was so excited to get.  You know because that's pretty exciting to get a sketch from SInnott and I was pumped. 

It was a Hulk head sketch except it was the back of his head.  Im like WTF is this?  And I'm staring at Mark Sinnott and he says " Hey, don't yell at me... Yell at the artist"  So there you go.  

1 minute ago, devilsrain said:

Ok maybe I yelled at him.  And to put it into context I had picked up a sketch from Sinnott earlier that I was so excited to get.  You know because that's pretty exciting to get a sketch from SInnott and I was pumped. 

It was a Hulk head sketch except it was the back of his head.  Im like WTF is this?  And I'm staring at Mark Sinnott and he says " Hey, don't yell at me... Yell at the artist"  So there you go.  

Well you had to listen to the man.  At that point, it would have been rude not to yell. 

On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2020 at 12:55 PM, seanfingh said:

I have never been yelled at by a comic creator - I have seen some of them get really grumpy. Adam Hughes threw a fit when I was in his line once. I saw Marv Wolfman get pretty agitated once. I got mad and threw a temper tantrum at Arthur Suydam one year (I think at WWCh). I asked him to sign my copy of Cholly & Flytrap #1 and he told me that I needed to spend $30 at his table for an autograph. I'm pretty sure my response was "Dude, it's Cholly and Flytrap, not Marvel Zombies."  He said no money, no auto, so i looked him right in the eye and threw the book in the trash. @mschmidt fished it out and gave it back to me later. He just couldn't stand me pitching a perfectly good comic . . . 

This might just be my favorite convention story I've ever heard on the boards.  I heard it first a few years back, but it brings a smile to my face any time I think about it. 

Keep in mind, Suydam was the same guy who photoshopped a picture to make it look like he had a crazy line at his table a few years ago.  His judgement is questionable to say the least:

Suydam.jpg.8600bc9d6a27dd3fe526f06b015ae636.jpg

1 minute ago, Turtle said:

Well you had to listen to the man.  At that point, it would have been rude not to yell. 

Joe just laughed in my face.  Which I thought was funny but I wasn't sure if I was being Punk'd.

Sadly I wasn't, that was the actual sketch.  The joke was on me!  :boo:

10 minutes ago, SteveITC said:

Flip over the page, maybe this is on the other side? :bigsmile:

20200522_182945~3.jpg

ah yes one-eyed Hulk.

6 hours ago, greggy said:

I remember Chris Claremont one time at SDCC had a signing upstairs in the sails pavilion and that time, his signature were free but he had a limit per time.  There were like 4 people including me with more than the limit so we just kept going around 3 to 4 times each to get everything signed. 

:kidaround: