• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ever yell at a comic creator?
4 4

194 posts in this topic

I have another story I want to share, there was one time where I really wanted to scream out loud. Not at the creator, but at the situation. I have a sketchbook filled to the brim with quick Batman sketched by just about everyone who worked at DC around 2008-2014 (except a few like Jim Lee). Adam and Andy Kubert seldom sketch at shows (not to any I have ever been to). But I had gotten Andy to draw the Batman symbol in my book just to have him in there. And when I saw Adam at a show, I thought it would be fun to have him add whatever he wanted in the same page as his brother.

He actually, started to draw a headsketch and I was extatic. He started with the lower half of the cowl, then the eyes...

20200522_231557.thumb.jpg.0d9da7a5417fb239bec4706452ff6efd.jpg

And then he finished it off with this giant flourish and it turns out he did Wolverine. URGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20200522_231604.thumb.jpg.e418eb25f310ebeaf3f5afbe4a69b889.jpg

Look, having a wolverine headsketch from Adam Kubert for free is great. But until it was done, I was convinced it was Batman, which worked with my sketchbook theme and the symbol his brother had drawn. It's like the time Neal Adams drew me a Batman headsketch in the same book and then ripped it out to hand it over to me. I did gasp at that time going "noooooo" because it didn't need to be detached at all.

1 hour ago, William-James88 said:

I have another story I want to share, there was one time where I really wanted to scream out loud. Not at the creator, but at the situation. I have a sketchbook filled to the brim with quick Batman sketched by just about everyone who worked at DC around 2008-2014 (except a few like Jim Lee). Adam and Andy Kubert seldom sketch at shows (not to any I have ever been to). But I had gotten Andy to draw the Batman symbol in my book just to have him in there. And when I saw Adam at a show, I thought it would be fun to have him add whatever he wanted in the same page as his brother.

He actually, started to draw a headsketch and I was extatic. He started with the lower half of the cowl, then the eyes...

20200522_231557.thumb.jpg.0d9da7a5417fb239bec4706452ff6efd.jpgimageproxy.php?img=&key=c846ed7a40be7761

And then he finished it off with this giant flourish and it turns out he did Wolverine. URGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20200522_231604.thumb.jpg.e418eb25f310ebeaf3f5afbe4a69b889.jpg

Look, having a wolverine headsketch from Adam Kubert for free is great. But until it was done, I was convinced it was Batman, which worked with my sketchbook theme and the symbol his brother had drawn. It's like the time Neal Adams drew me a Batman headsketch in the same book and then ripped it out to hand it over to me. I did gasp at that time going "noooooo" because it didn't need to be detached at all.

send it to me-I will fix it and make it look like batman and that is just a shadow!

9 minutes ago, kav said:

ps kneel atoms-if you rip it out HE CAN SELL IT ON EBAY!!  YOUR NEMESIS!!  :makepoint:

He personalized it, which I was perfectly fine with. Don;t know why he just ripped it out, its not like it was his sketchbook.

Anyways, see this is just more Neal Adams shenanigans. I don't mind the guy, I just saw enough of him.

Edited by William-James88

Just now, William-James88 said:

He personalized it, which I was perfectly fine with. Don;t know why he just ripped it out, its not like it was his sketchbook.

I would of threw it away and said ok now draw one and dont rip it out.

16 minutes ago, kav said:

send it to me-I will fix it and make it look like batman and that is just a shadow!

8 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

1 (1).jpg

12 hours ago, devilsrain said:

Joe just laughed in my face.  Which I thought was funny but I wasn't sure if I was being Punk'd.

Sadly I wasn't, that was the actual sketch.  The joke was on me!  :boo:

Do you have a scan of the sketch you can post?

18 hours ago, seanfingh said:

Thank bud - links suck. I must re-learn my craft apparently.

Learn it right this time so I can change my location.

I believe that a major part of the issue with creators are the expectations of both fan & creator which are quite often very different from each other and that the dynamic between fan/creator has changed significantly over years.

A fan may want to wait inline to meet creator for a number of reasons: meeting an idol even if for a brief interaction, obtaining a memento of meeting a creator(autograph, sketch), an in depth conversation about character or plot point they agree/disagree with, a financial motive(signatures or sketch for resale), or some other motivation.

A creator may commit to a con appearance for promotional reasons(new project coming out), financial reasons(paid appearance or signature/photo fees) or personal reasons(fan interaction, con experience) or other motivation.

Whatever the reason the fan/creator expectation may not be a match, a creator may think he's there to site behind a table, chat with fans and sign a few books. wander and enjoy the con, and have some fun.  A fan may think it's the creator's responsibility to sign the short box of comics they brought, long line be damned, just because the creator is attending the show and is there to work, for them. 

The relationship has become very complicated as more of it has become monetized, signatures and sketches obtained at a con are quite often flipped for financial gain sometimes minutes after being obtained.  I'm not saying whether the "whatever happens to the item after the creator signs/sketches it is up to the owner" is right or wrong but there can a reaction from the creator at times as a result of this, and that reaction might be 'I should be compensated", "I don't want my signature/sketch sold", "I gave someone something personal and am offended they treat it like a commodity" or some other reaction including "I don't give a flying fudge".

Most interactions between fan & creator are first time meetings and there is no existing relationship but the usually fan wants something from the creator, and what that creator feels is reasonable may vary.  A lot of this aspect is still being worked out, sometimes with some financial compensation being a result. 

This does not change that creators are people, and some people are just downright unpleasant (just as fans can be).

End rantrant

13 hours ago, William-James88 said:

Anyways, see this is just more Neal Adams shenanigans. I don't mind the guy, I just saw enough of him.

Maybe he's just used to ripping off pages from binding after decades

4 hours ago, devilsrain said:

08266A75-D634-4D39-AF71-4F48559217DB.thumb.jpeg.865364149e4449286c214b3da107888b.jpeg

as an artist I have to say this is beautiful.  the line quality is top notch.  Is it pencil?  It looks like pencil but I dont know how to make brushpen strokes like that with a pencil.

Edited by kav

5 minutes ago, kav said:
4 hours ago, devilsrain said:

08266A75-D634-4D39-AF71-4F48559217DB.thumb.jpeg.865364149e4449286c214b3da107888b.jpeg

as an artist I have to say this is beautiful.  the line quality is top notch.  Is it pencil?  It looks like pencil but I dont know how to make brushpen strokes like that with a pencil.

Edited 2 minutes ago by kav

I'd have to agree, maybe the intent and laughter stung, but I'm glad you still have it lol I hope :wishluck: 

Still wasn't ideal, but at least quality work :tink: 

31 minutes ago, kav said:

I too am an artist and can appreciate the line work. It is pencil which is crazy but with someone like Sinnott I have high expectations. REALLY HIGH. So I when the drawing was revealed I was like wtf.  

27 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I'd have to agree, maybe the intent and laughter stung, but I'm glad you still have it lol I hope :wishluck: 

Still wasn't ideal, but at least quality work :tink: 

Quality work in everything he does. If the drawing is wonky it still looks like a robot rendered it. Yes I still have it. It’s one of those things though where he had a wall of sketch covers that had normal looking hulks. And I said what the F happened with my cover, you got all those other ones face forward!???? 

I think they thought it was hilarious. And to be honest I chuckled until I remembered how much I paid for it.