• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should print run data be included?
1 1

6 posts in this topic

I've always been curious if there was print run data on comics and if it is available. I know on older comics it maybe more difficult to obtain but certainly modern comics should be no problem. I think it would be interesting if CGC could put print run data on the slab. Would you be in favor of such data or do not care or want it?

On 5/16/2020 at 8:00 AM, APDallas said:

I've always been curious if there was print run data on comics and if it is available. I know on older comics it maybe more difficult to obtain but certainly modern comics should be no problem. I think it would be interesting if CGC could put print run data on the slab. Would you be in favor of such data or do not care or want it?

Nope.

On 5/16/2020 at 8:00 AM, APDallas said:

I've always been curious if there was print run data on comics and if it is available.

Two different things here.

The data itself, might be recorded at the printer's offices. Is that information, if it exists, obtainable? Probably not.

On 5/16/2020 at 7:00 AM, APDallas said:

I've always been curious if there was print run data on comics

Of course. The publishers and printers have (or had) it.

and if it is available.

There is some, but it's mostly averages, not for individual issues.

Since you're apparently not familiar with the subject, here's a good place to start: https://www.comichron.com/titlespotlights.html

I know on older comics it maybe more difficult to obtain but certainly modern comics should be no problem.

lol

I think it would be interesting if CGC could put print run data on the slab. Would you be in favor of such data or do not care or want it?

I would be in favour of anybody making that data public, but it's not going to happen.

Additionally, there's reason to believe that not all "Limited to X" releases have been, well, entirely honest. Even when the publishers mean well, the printing industry often prints more copies than requested in case of spoilage. In principle, the unused extras for limited runs are supposed to be destroyed.

Usually that happens. Sometimes it doesn't. Never take print quantities as gospel.