• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is SPIDERMAN #258 the 1st Venom appearance?
3 3

31 posts in this topic

So I found this little tidbit. In issue #258 of Amazing Spiderman on the last page there is a container in the Fantastic Four headquarters where the black costume comes to life. Could this be the first appearance of Venom?IMG_0322.thumb.jpg.22b3b6a9b1f7a4cdb2e3c415f57ddcb3.jpg

:roflmao:No.

It's an early symbiote appearance, and - in fact, considered part of the "Alien Costume" saga that runs through ASM # 252 - 259.

I'm looking at the trade paperback - literally titled "Amazing Spider-Man: The Saga of the Alien Costume" - right now.

The alien symbiote definitionally doesn't become Venom until it fuses with Eddie Brock, so its first appearance are the cameos in ASM 298-299 and Web of Spider-Man 18, with the first *full* appearance (the one that counts) coming in ASM 300.

57 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

:roflmao:No.

It's an early symbiote appearance, and - in fact, considered part of the "Alien Costume" saga that runs through ASM # 252 - 259.

I'm looking at the trade paperback - literally titled "Amazing Spider-Man: The Saga of the Alien Costume" - right now.

The alien symbiote definitionally doesn't become Venom until it fuses with Eddie Brock, so its first appearance are the cameos in ASM 298-299 and Web of Spider-Man 18, with the first *full* appearance (the one that counts) coming in ASM 300.

Thanks for clearing that up. 

5 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

Am I remembering correctly that Web of Spider-Man #18 has an "arm" (no costume) that doesn't trigger Peter's "Spidey-sense" and that Web of Spider-Man #24 has a "black costumed arm" that grabs Peter (again, no "Spidey-sense")?

Edited by valiantman

1 minute ago, Lightning55 said:

And of course, the first appearance of the black costume itself is in Secret Wars 8.

Only continuity-wise... before the earlier backstory was told about how it came to be imprisoned in that machine (plus whatever earlier nonsense Marvel has published in the last two decades).

The first appearance of the black costume is ASM 252.

4 hours ago, valiantman said:

Am I remembering correctly that Web of Spider-Man #18 has an "arm" (no costume) that doesn't trigger Peter's "Spidey-sense" and that Web of Spider-Man #24 has a "black costumed arm" that grabs Peter (again, no "Spidey-sense")?

Yup that's how it goes. Only thing is in Web of #24 its not clear that it's a "costumed" arm just an arm that appears black reaching out from a window because it may or may not be in a shadow. There's definitely no white patch on the hand! 

I'm pretty sure you're well aware there's no clear indication at all in either of the WOS issues of anything related to Venom.... And the revelation in the 90's from marvel that those issues reflected a "behind the scenes" Eddie Brock. My view is that Michelinie wanted to do something with the symbiote but hadn't yet decided on anything concrete so he flirted around with a character who hated Peter and could bypass the spidey sense. Marvel decided to retcon #18 years later as an offical appearance. Pretty sure you also knew that ;) :)

Btw there was an effort by Mcfarlane back then to hog up undue credit for Venom but I don't wanna digress... :devil: (:

1 minute ago, MGsimba77 said:

Yup that's how it goes. Only thing is in Web of #24 its not clear that it's a "costumed" arm just an arm that appears black reaching out from a window because it may or may not be in a shadow. There's definitely no white patch on the hand! 

I'm pretty sure you're well aware there's no clear indication at all in either of the WOS issues of anything related to Venom.... And the revelation in the 90's from marvel that those issues reflected a "behind the scenes" Eddie Brock. My view is that Michelinie wanted to do something with the symbiote but hadn't yet decided on anything concrete so he flirted around with a character who hated Peter and could bypass the spidey sense. Marvel decided to retcon #18 years later as an offical appearance. Pretty sure you also knew that ;) :)

Btw there was an effort by Mcfarlane back then to hog up undue credit for Venom but I don't wanna digress... :devil: (:

There are interviews with Michelinie where he acknowledges that these "cameos" were intended to lead up to Venom. Only he had conceived Venom (not sure if the name was already in place) as a female character. The idea was revived when they needed something big for ASM 300.

1 minute ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

There are interviews with Michelinie where he acknowledges that these "cameos" were intended to lead up to Venom. Only he had conceived Venom (not sure if the name was already in place) as a female character. The idea was revived when they needed something big for ASM 300.

Yes the female thing was kind of indicated in #18 with the hand coming from someone wearing a pinkish long sleeved shirt. This is why I suspect he was still trying to devise something and was just flirting around tossing ideas back then. I don't believe the name Venom was in place in '86. 

15 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:
20 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Yes the female thing was kind of indicated in #18 with the hand coming from someone wearing a pinkish long sleeved shirt. This is why I suspect he was still trying to devise something and was just flirting around tossing ideas back then. I don't believe the name Venom was in place in '86. 

Finally an answer, I probably could have googled it, but I read WoS #18, looking for this clue that people kept mentioning to see what I thought of it....

I read my copy through, thought I missed it, flipped back through it and figured it was at the beginning somehow when Parker is getting the suit out of the closet. lol 

I'm lazy but I do remember him being shoved, but I don't recall too much reaction to the person who shoved. I'll have to reread with this pink sleeved culprit in mind hm 

13 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

Unless the colorist made a mistake, I think we can say that's a black costumed arm... Peter's pants are white and his socks are brown, but the arm and hand between them stay black.  That's no shadow or the sock would be black in the shade.   As far as the white patch goes, we can't tell which hand this is.  It looks like a right hand to me, so the white patch would be pointing toward the street, not the reader.  Yes, it was all "retconned" later, but there's definitely a structure of the plan in place at this point - all black villain that doesn't trigger Spidey-sense.  If it's supposed to be a woman in Web of Spider-Man #24, her bicep and forearm are drawn bigger than Peter's in this panel.

From Web of Spider-Man #24 (March 1987)

Web of Spider-Man #24 (1987) - Berkeley Place

"Pink sleeve" from Web of Spider-Man #18

Why I dont stand near the edge of subway platforms anymore. Web of Spider-Man #18, the first appearance of Eddie Brock/Venoms... hand.

It's definitely pink, but the way that page is colored, one of the men helping is wearing an even lighter pink suit... so it's not obviously a woman's arm that shoved Peter.

21 hours ago, Lazyboy said:
21 hours ago, Lightning55 said:

And of course, the first appearance of the black costume itself is in Secret Wars 8.

Only continuity-wise... before the earlier backstory was told about how it came to be imprisoned in that machine (plus whatever earlier nonsense Marvel has published in the last two decades).

The first appearance of the black costume is ASM 252.

As I've said before . . . it's anyone of the foregoing issues mentioned above (if I have one and I'm selling it!) :banana:

4 hours ago, valiantman said:

It's definitely pink, but the way that page is colored, one of the men helping is wearing an even lighter pink suit... so it's not obviously a woman's arm that shoved Peter.

Only women can wear pink??? :blush:

I'm wondering if Michelinie even had input with the inking? If not then i don't know if the color of the sleeve or the suit would be relevant? Who the heck would have drawn a guy wearing a pink suit anyway lol 

3 hours ago, divad said:
8 hours ago, valiantman said:

Only women can wear pink??? :blush:

Good point - it was 1987, I'm guessing that guy in the pink suit was just a big fan of Miami Vice.

80s Cop Menswear Shoots | Miami vice fashion, 80s party outfits ...

Edited by valiantman

3 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

ASM 299 is the one that’s undervalued, with its gorgeous full page splash of the 1st appearance of Venom.

ASM 298, the 1st McSpidey art is important, but not as important as ASM 299. 

ASM 299 should be worth more than 298.

But, but . . . ALL of us already know that. :bigsmile: