• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is SPIDERMAN #258 the 1st Venom appearance?
3 3

31 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

You would think so but there’s many who think it should be the web of Spidey issues

Really?

I have never met a collector (or dealer) who would prefer to have a Web of Spider-Man # 18 or 24 over an ASM # 299.

On 5/18/2020 at 6:32 AM, Gatsby77 said:
On 5/18/2020 at 5:27 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

You would think so but there’s many who think it should be the web of Spidey issues

Really?

I have never met a collector (or dealer) who would prefer to have a Web of Spider-Man # 18 or 24 over an ASM # 299.

Don't get around much, eh? :baiting:

On 5/17/2020 at 7:08 AM, valiantman said:

Unless the colorist made a mistake, I think we can say that's a black costumed arm... Peter's pants are white and his socks are brown, but the arm and hand between them stay black.  That's no shadow or the sock would be black in the shade.   As far as the white patch goes, we can't tell which hand this is.  It looks like a right hand to me, so the white patch would be pointing toward the street, not the reader.  Yes, it was all "retconned" later, but there's definitely a structure of the plan in place at this point - all black villain that doesn't trigger Spidey-sense.  If it's supposed to be a woman in Web of Spider-Man #24, her bicep and forearm are drawn bigger than Peter's in this panel.

From Web of Spider-Man #24 (March 1987)

Web of Spider-Man #24 (1987) - Berkeley Place

And furthermore . . . I think the next page really cements this:

WOS24ib.jpeg

On 5/22/2020 at 4:17 PM, valiantman said:

It's a black costume, as drawn and colored.

It may be nitpicking, but I think coloring back then mostly would have been with CM&Y, with the black coming from the inks, so that would be a choice of the inker (or the editor or writer, if it was directed). My take on the panel is that it's intended that the arm be obscured. I think there would have been a better way to show that than having the rest of the panel in daylight, but I don't think we can take the black arm to mean that it was black in color, rather than in shadow.