• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

July Heritage Auction Sorta Shaping Up!
3 3

519 posts in this topic

On 5/19/2020 at 5:35 PM, Tatterdamillion said:

I do'nt think I have ever seen a McKean Sandman cover sale. What would something like that go for? The number 6.

Not sure, but can't wait to see the picture of it since it's one of the massive multimedia pieces he did.

Nostalgic for me because it was the first issue of the series I bought, but didn't read it until I had the first five issues... which took a hell of a long time.  😁

7 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

Those first issues where the "artwork" was actually a massive art installation of physical pieces and drawn artwork are so impressive. 

mckean-sandman1-cover.jpg.2c5b15cea570ba8b70c4705a703f44c1.jpg

https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=555337

After seeing this for the first time on CAF years ago I had two competing thoughts:

1) JEEBUS!! That's impressive and landmark and everything I love about artwork and comics

and

2) JEEBUS! I would be terrified to own something like that. To buy it, have it shipped to me, to own it, to protect it, to repair it if the glue on one of those pieces comes lose or something breaks off of it.

It's such an important piece, created in such a complex way, that the responsibility of ownership and care feels daunting to me. I'd almost be happier knowing this was cared for in a gallery/museum setting somewhere than in my hands. 

THIS THE MOST IMPRESSIVE PIECE OF ART I’VE EVER SEEN !!!

I didn’t even know this was CAF. Or even that this is how the art was done by McKean. 

Thanks for pointing this out.

48 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

Those first issues where the "artwork" was actually a massive art installation of physical pieces and drawn artwork are so impressive. 

After seeing this for the first time on CAF years ago I had two competing thoughts:

1) JEEBUS!! That's impressive and landmark and everything I love about artwork and comics

and

2) JEEBUS! I would be terrified to own something like that. To buy it, have it shipped to me, to own it, to protect it, to repair it if the glue on one of those pieces comes lose or something breaks off of it.

It's such an important piece, created in such a complex way, that the responsibility of ownership and care feels daunting to me. I'd almost be happier knowing this was cared for in a gallery/museum setting somewhere than in my hands. 

Bonkers...

1 hour ago, comix4fun said:

and

Step 1 Hang it on the wall.

Step 2 Done.

not that daunting ;)

I know you’re going to say about the shipping etc etc but those obstacles can be overcome .   

1 hour ago, stinkininkin said:

The offerings in this auction are off to pretty slow start. Consignors sitting on the sidelines until the world stabilizes? Too many auctions?

I think they are just behind in posting the lots to the auction.   I know I have seven items in this auction and none have posted yet

1 hour ago, Bronty said:

Step 1 Hang it on the wall.

Step 2 Done.

not that daunting ;)

I know you’re going to say about the shipping etc etc but those obstacles can be overcome .   

Do you know what kind of glue he used to secure the elements? Do you know what the materials themselves are made out of? Any latex-based products that degrade over time? 

When the piece begins to degrade, or pieces fall off, or pieces break, who fixes it? Using what materials? Or does one just let it degrade, or fall into disrepair? 

Having owned multi-media pieces and one of a kind hand made art objects and movie props made from less than permanent materials, it's not a "boom, done" situation unless I just don't care about the items. 

I mean, this is Sandman #1, so it deserves a little more thought and care than if it were some piece of knockoff lowbrow photoshopped print garbage from one of those eBay sellers who thinks themselves an "ARTIST!!" but is just selling mass produced junk. 

Edited by comix4fun

24 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

Do you know what kind of glue he used to secure the elements? Do you know what the materials themselves are made out of? Any latex-based products that degrade over time? 

When the piece begins to degrade, or pieces fall off, or pieces break, who fixes it? Using what materials? Or does one just let it degrade, or fall into disrepair? 

Having owned multi-media pieces and one of a kind hand made art objects and movie props made from less than permanent materials, it's not a "boom, done" situation unless I just don't care about the items. 

I mean, this is Sandman #1, so it deserves a little more thought and care than if it were some piece of knockoff lowbrow photoshopped print garbage from one of those eBay sellers who thinks themselves an "ARTIST!!" but is just selling mass produced junk. 

I’m sure Dave would answer those questions. I get what you’re saying Chris, I do, but to me if you like the art it’s really not that big a deal.   Worst case you take it to a pro if it needs some work in 20 years.   🤷‍♂️  I guess I just don’t see the hang up.   Say you have to have something reglued.   Okay you had it reglued, it’s still the only Sandman 1 cover  after all.  

3 hours ago, stinkininkin said:

The offerings in this auction are off to pretty slow start. Consignors sitting on the sidelines until the world stabilizes? Too many auctions?

People are making so much money from the stock market that they don't need to sell anything to raise cash.

2 hours ago, comix4fun said:

this.  I've seen, and participated in the construction and creation of shadow box assemblages like this from a noted artist and the materials used can be highly volatile.  Often they used a fixative and just shellac the bejeezus out of it.  One involved a tiny bowl with actual cornflakes. That didn't hold up so well.   They will collect dust like no other, and I'd suggest encasing it in a preferably airtight frame similar to what I've seen in some museums for mixed media art. You don't want to inadvertently cause damage trying to dust it with a feather duster or compressed air. 

5 hours ago, Bronty said:

Say you have to have something reglued.   Okay you had it reglued, it’s still the only Sandman 1 cover  after all.  

Wouldn’t that be the equivalent of a collector filling in the black inks on a pen and ink piece that had dried or gone brown over time.

5 hours ago, comix4fun said:

If you happen to acquire one of those early Sandman covers and have any such concerns about storing it, I would be more than happy to act as the caretaker for the piece on an indefinite basis.  

I’m not saying that I’ll be any better at caring for it than you.  In fact, I’m almost certain I won’t be.  

But I will assume the stress of watching it fall to pieces as it hangs in my room, so ... you know, you don’t have to. 

5 hours ago, Skizz said:

Wouldn’t that be the equivalent of a collector filling in the black inks on a pen and ink piece that had dried or gone brown over time.

no.   I'm not saying I'd do it myself with elementary school glue. 

Edited by Bronty

13 hours ago, stinkininkin said:

I think you’re right, however, HA has a lot more art in queue for this auction and I think we can expect the lot offerings to double from the current count of 270 by the time the auction starts.  

Perhaps they’re waiting for the current Clink Featured Auction to near its close before listening many more lots.

Conversely, this Clink Featured Auction has only 6 pages of OA listings instead of the usual 9 or 10 pages of listings.

2 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Conversely, this Clink Featured Auction has only 6 pages of OA listings instead of the usual 9 or 10 pages of listings.

This raised an eyebrow for me too. 

17 hours ago, comix4fun said:

And then you’re told you gotta move cross country for work :whatthe:

I noticed a couple of Jim Lee pieces inked by our own Scott Williams.

Scott, I have to ask, did it ever irritate you that Jim drew so many lines?  Did you ever think to yourself that if you were inking, say, Steve Dillon, you would've been finished in about 1/3 the time?