• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

July Heritage Auction Sorta Shaping Up!
3 3

519 posts in this topic

38 minutes ago, romitaman said:

speaking of video games back in the day........

I was a master at BERZERK back in the day i reached 40,000 on it and i never ever saw a higher score in my life...........that was MY GAME!! and i also mastered the TWIN COBRA video game... think i reached 400,000 on it 

Also i had the highest score i ever saw on a game called CROSSBOW and people used to crowd around 10-15 at time to watch me play it at our local bowling alley that had the game back in the earty 80s. That was a fun challenging game!!!

...my brother john was the first person I ever saw who turned over a million on pacman...we always wondered what the score would be when you passed a million....(as they only had 6 digits of score)

when he finally hit a million in January 1981 the game kept playing but the score stuck at 999,980 and he stopped playing with all his lives left, and i high fived him for reaching the milestone and we never played it again!!! LOL

my brother was also the best i ever saw on SCRAMBLE, DIGDUG, and 1941..... He also could play the Muhammad Ali pinball game for 3 hours on one quarter when we went to the SEARS arcade at our mall back around 1980-1981

my 2 brothers and I were more into pinball until video games got real popular...those were the glorious 1970s!!!!  

i have 4 pinball machines in my house now (SOUTHPARK, SPIDERMAN new version, FISH TALES, and another full size video pinball machine which has like 300 different pinball games stored to choose from, all on full pinball machine size huge computer tv screen)

and 4 sets of video games I have, yet i havent played them for years now..............(i just turn them all on when I host big parties throughout the year for friends and family to play....) 

1941 is an awesome game!

2 hours ago, romitaman said:

I was a master at BERZERK back in the day i reached 40,000 on it and i never ever saw a higher score in my life...........that was MY GAME!! and i also mastered the TWIN COBRA video game... think i reached 400,000 on it 

Also i had the highest score i ever saw on a game called CROSSBOW and people used to crowd around 10-15 at time to watch me play it at our local bowling alley that had the game back in the earty 80s. That was a fun challenging game!!!

...my brother john was the first person I ever saw who turned over a million on pacman...we always wondered what the score would be when you passed a million....(as they only had 6 digits of score)

when he finally hit a million in January 1981 the game kept playing but the score stuck at 999,980 and he stopped playing with all his lives left, and i high fived him for reaching the milestone and we never played it again!!! LOL

my brother was also the best i ever saw on SCRAMBLE, DIGDUG, and 1941..... He also could play the Muhammad Ali pinball game for 3 hours on one quarter when we went to the SEARS arcade at our mall back around 1980-1981

my 2 brothers and I were more into pinball until video games got real popular...those were the glorious 1970s!!!!  

i have 4 pinball machines in my house now (SOUTHPARK, SPIDERMAN new version, FISH TALES, and another full size video pinball machine which has like 300 different pinball games stored to choose from, all on full pinball machine size huge computer tv screen)

and 4 sets of video games I have, yet i havent played them for years now..............(i just turn them all on when I host big parties throughout the year for friends and family to play....) 

Good times!   

Edited by Bronty

16 hours ago, Bronty said:

Good times!   

Yeah, it only took a quarter, and you could play forever, and leave games for the next player.  My game was Flip-Flop. 

Upton's, Burlington, Vermont, USA

Best, David

16 minutes ago, aokartman said:

Yeah, it only took a quarter, and you could play forever, and leave games for the next player.  My game was Flip-Flop. 

Upton's, Burlington, Vermont, USA

Best, David

I was driving past Burlington Vermont many years ago and felt paranoid that a moose would pop out of nowhere and destroy my car (and me) in the process! 😳

On 6/6/2020 at 4:01 PM, Bronty said:

A little off the beaten path but any guesses where the dragons lair arcade poster art ends up?     https://comics.ha.com/itm/animation-art/production-drawing/dragon-s-lair-promotional-poster-original-art-don-bluth-1983-/a/7232-98210.s

I see you guys are talking about this here. I just started a topic for it. I know we were talking about video game artwork a while back. And I did the fairly recent topic with Japanese video game original artwork.

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/470163-dragons-lair-space-ace-original-poster-artwork-on-heritage/

On 6/6/2020 at 8:15 PM, cstojano said:

Yeah me too, and apparently a lot of other people. Already beyond what I would spend. In addition to the nostalgia (never have more quarters been spent so quickly), the piece has the advantage of representing the game without the issues associated with actual cels, namely they are hard to display nicely. On the downside, you'd be crazy to frame this and actually expose it to sunlight. 

I think the newer cels are ok compared to the older Disney stuff that could catch fire in the wrong conditions. And of course provided that you store the cels correctly. But people here deal with original artwork and know how to store items. I saved some images from a collector that posted a room full of Dragon's Lair cels and backgrounds. I think they were posted on either the Dragon's Lair or Laser Disc forums. I'll see if I can dig those out and post. And of course there are these videos that walk though some nice cel collections.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkLU5kffkSw

Edit - This doesn't seem to want to come up like the one above. But the link works.

I might have one of these Dragon's Lair posters. But I would frame the original. I'm hoping that one of the art galleries out there make a double poster with Dragon's Lair and Dragon's Lair 2 Time Warp. Perhaps Space Ace as well. I saw one that was similar to the Frazetta Conan painting. Also this recent one with a bunch of different color versions.

725671937_DragonsLairPosterPatrickConnan.thumb.gif.7da945333555046820ec2c8940a89d20.gif

On 6/6/2020 at 8:47 PM, ShallowDan said:

When it first popped up, silly me spent a half hour mentally sketching out the financial rejiggering that a $10-12K buy might require.  At this point, I'm guessing it easily tops $35K.

It's obviously not as beloved/remembered, but I'm curious to see where the Space Ace piece ends up.  With it coming after the Dragon's Lair piece, there might be some folks desperate for a consolation prize. 

I think I prefer or remember Space Ace more fondly compared to the original Dragon's Lair because Space Ace was easier. At least I remember it had three difficultly levels. And I made it to the final fight of Space Ace but couldn't win. I never got to the Dragon's Lair in the original game. In fact, I remember seeing few make it. I saw no one beat the game. I was happy getting to and finally beating Lizard King. I believe the arcade had fairly random stages too.

I did beat Dragon's Lair 2 Time Warp in the arcade and I was very pleased with that.

On 6/6/2020 at 9:52 PM, ThothAmon said:

If I remember correctly this was the first "story" video game that allowed you to take the character in a few different directions.  As a Space Invaders/Defender/Asteroids/Battle Zone/Centipede/Galaga/Missile Command/Frogger/PaC Man/Ms. Pac Man/Pinball kinda guy I never really got into it.

I think some games had a basic rescue story. One of my favorites was Jungle King or Jungle Hunt. Pretty similar story to Dragon's Lair in that you just have to rescue a girl. The big thing for Dragon's Lair was that it was animated and different than any other game I remember at the time. It would be a while I think for me to see Cliffhanger in arcades. I only saw that in Las Vegas.

We had Dragon's Lair at the front of a local mall arcade. It was 50 cents to play. Double any other game in the arcade. And you would die faster than any other game in the arcade. At least, I can't remember what the big motorcycle games like Hang On cost. There was another motorcycle game. I always forget the name. Like Galaxy Rider or something. It was probably a Laser Disc game too. It was a big deal to see any one get to a different section in Dragon's Lair. I think they had a small TV above the game.

On 6/6/2020 at 10:12 PM, cstojano said:

I'm not sure if there were different directions. Maybe. As I recall you just had to do specific actions in a certain time and sequence to get through each staged screen/event. It's the type of game that could never exist today because all the cheats would be online within 15 minutes.  i think the game was mostly trial and error. I thought it was the overall story arc and graphics that really made it revolutionary at the time. 

On 6/6/2020 at 11:08 PM, christosgage said:

I remember there being a glow or flash in the direction you were supposed to go (or on your sword if you were supposed to use it) but there was a VERY short window for you to react properly, so yeah, there was a lot of trial and error involved.

Dragon's Lair exists today the moves are just called quick time events. Or at least that's what I think Shenmue called them when they used it. But it's different in that you just look and push the button or direction on screen. The original Dragon's Lair was far too much trial and error. They made Space Ace and Dragon's Lair 2 Time Warp a lot better with the flashes and assuming what the character would do. The original Dragon's Lair has too many spots where you just have to guess. Or watch Daphne at the end. I love the look of that red wraith stage but never made it past the spinning things in the arcade.

On 6/7/2020 at 9:19 AM, cstojano said:

I think I made it to Chuck E. Cheese once and it was a pilgrimage experience. I spent plenty of time at the Monmouth Mall, NJ arcade. My friend at the time wore weight lifting gloves to play. When the money was almost out I'd head to Burger King to grab one of the best foods I'd ever had at the time - a Burger King chicken sandwich. Yeah, good times. 

Your friend sounds like the guy that played against Happy Console Gamer. In one episode he talked about a guy with gloves he would play against. But Chuck E Cheese was awesome. I think the pizza was really good. I'm sure I have some records around here. Perhaps some of the stuffed animals too.

I think the Burger King American Chicken sandwich was a big seller back then. I would get it all the time.

Edited by GeneticNinja

10 hours ago, GeneticNinja said:

I see you guys are talking about this here. I just started a topic for it. I know we were talking about video game artwork a while back. And I did the fairly recent topic with Japanese video game original artwork.

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/470163-dragons-lair-space-ace-original-poster-artwork-on-heritage/

I think the newer cels are ok compared to the older Disney stuff that could catch fire in the wrong conditions. And of course provided that you store the cels correctly. But people here deal with original artwork and know how to store items. I saved some images from a collector that posted a room full of Dragon's Lair cels and backgrounds. I think they were posted on either the Dragon's Lair or Laser Disc forums. I'll see if I can dig those out and post. And of course there are these videos that walk though some nice cel collections.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkLU5kffkSw

Edit - This doesn't seem to want to come up like the one above. But the link works.

I might have one of these Dragon's Lair posters. But I would frame the original. I'm hoping that one of the art galleries out there make a double poster with Dragon's Lair and Dragon's Lair 2 Time Warp. Perhaps Space Ace as well. I saw one that was similar to the Frazetta Conan painting. Also this recent one with a bunch of different color versions.

725671937_DragonsLairPosterPatrickConnan.thumb.gif.7da945333555046820ec2c8940a89d20.gif

I think I prefer or remember Space Ace more fondly compared to the original Dragon's Lair because Space Ace was easier. At least I remember it had three difficultly levels. And I made it to the final fight of Space Ace but couldn't win. I never got to the Dragon's Lair in the original game. In fact, I remember seeing few make it. I saw no one beat the game. I was happy getting to and finally beating Lizard King. I believe the arcade had fairly random stages too.

I did beat Dragon's Lair 2 Time Warp in the arcade and I was very pleased with that.

I think some games had a basic rescue story. One of my favorites was Jungle King or Jungle Hunt. Pretty similar story to Dragon's Lair in that you just have to rescue a girl. The big thing for Dragon's Lair was that it was animated and different than any other game I remember at the time. It would be a while I think for me to see Cliffhanger in arcades. I only saw that in Las Vegas.

We had Dragon's Lair at the front of a local mall arcade. It was 50 cents to play. Double any other game in the arcade. And you would die faster than any other game in the arcade. At least, I can't remember what the big motorcycle games like Hang On cost. There was another motorcycle game. I always forget the name. Like Galaxy Rider or something. It was probably a Laser Disc game too. It was a big deal to see any one get to a different section in Dragon's Lair. I think they had a small TV above the game.

Dragon's Lair exists today the moves are just called quick time events. Or at least that's what I think Shenmue called them when they used it. But it's different in that you just look and push the button or direction on screen. The original Dragon's Lair was far too much trial and error. They made Space Ace and Dragon's Lair 2 Time Warp a lot better with the flashes and assuming what the character would do. The original Dragon's Lair has too many spots where you just have to guess. Or watch Daphne at the end. I love the look of that red wraith stage but never made it past the spinning things in the arcade.

Your friend sounds like the guy that played against Happy Console Gamer. In one episode he talked about a guy with gloves he would play against. But Chuck E Cheese was awesome. I think the pizza was really good. I'm sure I have some records around here. Perhaps some of the stuffed animals too.

I think the Burger King American Chicken sandwich was a big seller back then. I would get it all the time.

Greta post. If you find that link to the DL cel collection I'd love to see it.

On 6/7/2020 at 3:26 PM, romitaman said:

:news: 

This just in the judges have received via Fed Ex video tape evidence of the following high scores achieved by Billy Mitchell

Berzerk 41,000

Twin Cobra 401,000

Pac Man 999,999

Also a crowd of 100 gathered to watch Billy play Crossbow

E2FD63D8-3847-47F5-A578-12DFFE46ED93.jpeg.76cadb3b22c1f15a58b2f19b431456cc.jpeg8EDBA1DD-1EB0-4A9F-959D-A79B7CEC7AB1.jpeg.4c47f64d7af13b33eca42bd3b2439013.jpeg

Edited by grapeape

funny arcade story.... back around 1980-1981...our local arcade called "GAMETIME" where we grew up in the suburbs of Cleveland OH...they just got one of the early MULTI-BALL pinball games...it was called "SPACE FLIGHT 2000" My brother john truly was a pinball wizard....... I was good, but my brother was "GREAT" at virtually every pinball machine there was after he played any game  5-10 times to understand how to get the "SPECIAL:" for free games..... and the best ways to score bonus points.

anyway...the first day they got SPACE FLIGHT 2000 my brother mastered it on that first day and first quarter, and we actually played on 1 quarter for 7 consecutive hours on that one quarter and the guy working there was giving us dirty looks non stop for the last 6 hours..... we would take turns going to the toilet so the guy wouldnt close off the game......... he even offered us a dollar to stop playing but we said "NO!!" LOL.......and we even used our $1.75 we had left from our 1 dollar each we brought to the arcade and i left on my bike and got us mcdonalds after 3-4 hours so we could keep  playing between us 2 until we decided to go home......... and as soon as we decided to leave,  the worker quickly put an  "OUT OF ORDER" sign on the pinball game...... LOL

52 minutes ago, romitaman said:

funny arcade story.... back around 1980-1981...our local arcade called "GAMETIME" where we grew up in the suburbs of Cleveland OH...they just got one of the early MULTI-BALL pinball games...it was called "SPACE FLIGHT 2000" My brother john truly was a pinball wizard....... I was good, but my brother was "GREAT" at virtually every pinball machine there was after he played any game  5-10 times to understand how to get the "SPECIAL:" for free games..... and the best ways to score bonus points.

anyway...the first day they got SPACE FLIGHT 2000 my brother mastered it on that first day and first quarter, and we actually played on 1 quarter for 7 consecutive hours on that one quarter and the guy working there was giving us dirty looks non stop for the last 6 hours..... we would take turns going to the toilet so the guy wouldnt close off the game......... he even offered us a dollar to stop playing but we said "NO!!" LOL.......and we even used our $1.75 we had left from our 1 dollar each we brought to the arcade and i left on my bike and got us mcdonalds after 3-4 hours so we could keep  playing between us 2 until we decided to go home......... and as soon as we decided to leave,  the worker quickly put an  "OUT OF ORDER" sign on the pinball game...... LOL

hahah, that's great Mike.   

I had an older brother I went to the arcade with sometimes, and I guess he or one of his friends figured out that you took a string and taped a quarter to it, and lifted the quarter up and down over the sensor that detected  coins dropping, you could get pretty well infinite credits on the one quarter.   So we got the same hours of free play, just a little  more shadily lol

On 5/29/2020 at 8:42 AM, First Upgrade said:

I vaguely remember Snyder asking ~$135k, or ~$150k(?), for the X-Men #4 title splash in the summer of 2013, or 2014...since then, I have heard he allegedly sold a stake in the piece & perhaps he always had a 'partner' in its acquisition...

20200527_233542.gif

He was asking $200k at torpedo con 2018 and 2019. 

8 hours ago, romitaman said:

Was that one of the Gametimes in Randall Park Mall? :)

4 hours ago, Infamouspure22 said:

Was that one of the Gametimes in Randall Park Mall? :)

wow...a local yokel!!!!  HERE????

GAMETIME was actually across from SOUTH GATE shopping plaza in a small strip store area by the medical arts building and southgate bowling lanes.

We went to the small arcade in the SEARS at Randall Mall alot, that's where i first played the 1980 SPIDER-MAN pinball game..and that is where my brother mastered the Muhammad Ali pinball machine and he would play hours on 1 quarter there!

(incidentally in 1976 when it opened, Randall Park Mall was the largest mall in THE USA!!!)

It got torn down 6-7 years ago and is now a huge AMAZON SHIPPING DEPOT

3 hours ago, romitaman said:

wow...a local yokel!!!!  HERE????

GAMETIME was actually across from SOUTH GATE shopping plaza in a small strip store area by the medical arts building and southgate bowling lanes.

We went to the small arcade in the SEARS at Randall Mall alot, that's where i first played the 1980 SPIDER-MAN pinball game..and that is where my brother mastered the Muhammad Ali pinball machine and he would play hours on 1 quarter there!

(incidentally in 1976 when it opened, Randall Park Mall was the largest mall in THE USA!!!)

It got torn down 6-7 years ago and is now a huge AMAZON SHIPPING DEPOT

Hey Mike!  Yep I'm from the area and a fellow Cavs fan.  Maybe you just didn't recognize my CGC handle :)  It's P. A. I grew up going to Randall and I'm also familiar with South Gate too.

On 6/11/2020 at 8:49 AM, Infamouspure22 said:

Hey Mike!  Yep I'm from the area and a fellow Cavs fan.  Maybe you just didn't recognize my CGC handle :)  It's P. A. I grew up going to Randall and I'm also familiar with South Gate too.

is this PAUL????  I hardly know anybody here as emails and real names are not allowed. :)

Edited by romitaman

My local 7-11 (where I got some of my first comics btw) had room for only 4 arcade games, so they were switched out every 6-8 months. I remember playing Pole Position, Pac Man, Dig Dug, Joust, Centipede, Galaga and a few others I can't recall right now. Later on they put in Ms. Pac Man, Dragonslair, Journey (a game based on the music band) & Tron.

I had to travel quite a bit further on my bike to play Gauntlet 

I thought someone here owned this Jack Kirby Sue Storm pinup. I couldn't remember who though. I was split between two people. Anyhow, I found that the art was recently reprinted in a pinup book and I tried to notify the owner. Oh well, it's up on auction now. Hopefully, this motivates anyone who's interested.

You're welcome.

lf.jpeg

IMG_4344.jpeg

IMG_4342.jpeg