• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

July Heritage Auction Sorta Shaping Up!
3 3

519 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, tth2 said:

Good grief, the Frazetta "Gods of Mars" B&W illustration is already at $21,600, with 12 days to go.  I know it's Frazetta, and it's from his highly coveted early 1970s work on the ERB Mars/John Carter books, but damn!  The image area is only 7.25" x 6"!

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/illustrations/frank-frazetta-the-gods-of-mars-frontispiece-illustration-original-art-nelson-doubleday-1971-/a/7231-94045.s?ic2=mybidspage-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyBids-101116

:whatthe: we have truly jumped the shark tank

On 6/27/2020 at 8:33 PM, tth2 said:

Good grief, the Frazetta "Gods of Mars" B&W illustration is already at $21,600, with 12 days to go.  I know it's Frazetta, and it's from his highly coveted early 1970s work on the ERB Mars/John Carter books, but damn!  The image area is only 7.25" x 6"!

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/illustrations/frank-frazetta-the-gods-of-mars-frontispiece-illustration-original-art-nelson-doubleday-1971-/a/7231-94045.s?ic2=mybidspage-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyBids-101116

I appreciate the fact that the motivated bidder (s)has decided to get a Frazetta piece at all cost. I’ve looked at this piece over and over. I wouldn’t hide it in a portfolio if I owned it. But I am not excited for this piece.

I have excepted that my opportunity to own a high quality Frazetta has come and gone. I’m not chasing something like this. To each his own.

Edited by grapeape
Accepted not Excepted

24 minutes ago, grapeape said:

I appreciate the fact that the motivated bidder (s)has decided to get a Frazetta piece at all cost. I’ve looked at this piece over and over. I wouldn’t hide it in a portfolio if I owned it. But I am not excited for this piece.

I have excepted that my opportunity to own a high quality Frazetta has come and gone. I’m not chasing something like this. To each his own.

He could probably save a whole lot of money buying a commission from a Facebook artist, and maybe get something a bit better, too.

4 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:
4 hours ago, grapeape said:

He could probably save a whole lot of money buying a commission from a Facebook artist, and maybe get something a bit better, too

Not really sure I follow your logic.  If you want to own a Frazetta original, how does getting a commission from a Facebook artist help to achieve that goal?  

4 hours ago, tth2 said:

Not really sure I follow your logic.  If you want to own a Frazetta original, how does getting a commission from a Facebook artist help to achieve that goal?  

It doesn’t. I was expressing my agreement with grape ape in a less than clear manner. Sorry.

And the Batman #313 cover....Heritage says "This is possibly an alternate cover that was either reconfigured in production or rejected in order to maintain editorial consistency with the characters." 

OK, so does anyone know if this is a rejected cover that had to be redrawn completely and there a clean version of this in the wild? Or did the background get flipped in production with a very good Exacto + a new suit pattern was applied?  I haven't taken the time yet to overlay them in Photoshop and see how the lines look in obverse. 

UPDATE FROM AN AMATUER: So I went through it on Photoshop, and it looks like they reassembled stats of the OA and did a little bit of cosmetic work to get them to work with a quick plaid treatment to one side of the suit. Would have been a bit of work to do, but the dimensions (with a little warping here and there) are so spot-on that the published version does not look to be light-boxed or re-done. While there might be a 97% stat out there, I think this is the real OA that leads to the corrected stat cover. That being said, you have a Two-Face image where the clean side of the room is on the scar-side of his face, and the dirty side is on the clean side of his face and editorial hated it so much they made a production guy bust out his master-class Exacto knife skills...can I get over that fact if I bid enough to win OR will it haunt me every time I look at it... uggh. Don't know.

If someone has a different opinion, I'd love to know about it. Again...amateur examination knowing that some of you are much better at this kind of thing.

Bob

Edited by Sideshow Bob

5 hours ago, RBerman said:

Now the Alex Ross page from Justice got pulled. Bummer.

I got that email too. Pretty disappointed too. I do wonder why. I can’t help to think that bids weren’t high enough but who really knows. I thought they were where they should be given recent comps. 

5 hours ago, Brian Peck said:

$48K for a Killing Joke page??? ???

With no Joker, just a head shot of Two-Face and Batman either in silhouette or from the back. With less than a week to go.

There would be a line wrapped around the block to buy that page at $48K in the current market. That's probably half (maybe even less than half) of where it will end up. 2c

In any case, it will go a lot higher than $48K.

Edited by delekkerste

27 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

There would be a line wrapped around the block to buy that page at $48K in the current market. That's probably half (maybe even less than half) of where it will end up. 2c

In any case, it will go a lot higher than $48K.

Yeah, I think the minimum entry price for a KJ page now is $100k.

28 minutes ago, tth2 said:

Yeah, I think the minimum entry price for a KJ page now is $100k.

Any page with Batman in any capacity is going to be very high 5 figures, if not $100K+.  Not sure if all of the non-Batman pages would be, though; some of the pre-Joker (before he was Joker) pages definitely would not be, like the infamous "Shrimp" pages.  Kind of regret not buying one of those when it was offered to me at $25K a few years ago (it was subsequently flipped for $40K-something IIRC), but, my collecting M.O. has evolved to the point where I'd rather do without than add something I don't really love just to "have an example". 

Edited by delekkerste

Yeah that KJ page is definitely going a lot higher than $48k. Especially given how many people are actively looking for one.

I’m curious to see how the blue line painting in the same auction does.

Cheers

Joseph

8 hours ago, Brian Peck said:

$48K for a Killing Joke page??? ???

With no Joker, just a head shot of Two-Face and Batman either in silhouette or from the back. With less than a week to go.

It’s finally come to this Brian. Collectors want one (any) page from Killing Joke. Early 2000’s I was at a dinner party with Hari and others out in San Diego. There were two pages asking under 15K superior to this one at auction. I missed my chance.

Like the Frazetta also going quite high I would pass on this KJ page at this point.  There comes a certain point where the artist name sells a piece and the example doesn’t always live up to that money.

Edited by grapeape
Quality art but need Joker IMHO

Personally I think the KJ page is a very good one.  I love the images of Batman storming through with Gordon trailing behind him.  The image of Two Face is a bonus.