• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

July Heritage Auction Sorta Shaping Up!
3 3

519 posts in this topic

On 7/3/2020 at 8:48 PM, tth2 said:

Personally I think the KJ page is a very good one.  I love the images of Batman storming through with Gordon trailing behind him.  The image of Two Face is a bonus.

Excellent art work I think the reaction is based on the bidding at this point. This one page could possibly hit 80-100 K. It doesn’t feature the Joker.

Would you pay that if you had it?

I feel I let better pages go in the past for far less $$$ and just couldn’t bring myself to pay this much for this KJ page.

Anyone else remember Mike Burkey had that climactic KJ page earlier 2000’s with Batman and the Joker for $40,000 for + a year I think.I worked night and day trying to scrounge funds to make a serious offer to Mike. When that page went away I gave up hope. 

Edited by grapeape
Error Mike sold Darknight 3 page and HA sold Bolland KJ page

2 hours ago, grapeape said:

Excellent art work I think the reaction is based on the bidding at this point. This one page could possibly hit 80-100 K. It doesn’t feature the Joker.

Would you pay that if you had it?

I feel I let better pages go in the past for far less $$$ and just couldn’t bring myself to pay this much for this KJ page.

Anyone else remember Mike Burkey had that climactic KJ page earlier 2000’s with Batman and the Joker for $40,000 for + a year I think.I worked night and day trying to scrounge funds to make a serious offer to Mike. When that page went away I gave up hope. 

I'd never heard this or of Mike Burkey ever offering a Killing Joke page in the last 20 years. Which page was it?

Cheers
Joseph

https://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=9492

On 7/3/2020 at 3:10 AM, GeneticNinja said:

I'm curious how high that NYX X-23 cover and concept lot will go. I remember getting the cover by luck because I was reading NYX.

Likewise curious.  This was first auctioned at peak X-23 popularity.  That said, she remains a collector darling and mainstay in new X-releases.

On 6/29/2020 at 1:41 PM, Sideshow Bob said:

And the Batman #313 cover....Heritage says "This is possibly an alternate cover that was either reconfigured in production or rejected in order to maintain editorial consistency with the characters." 

OK, so does anyone know if this is a rejected cover that had to be redrawn completely and there a clean version of this in the wild? Or did the background get flipped in production with a very good Exacto + a new suit pattern was applied?  I haven't taken the time yet to overlay them in Photoshop and see how the lines look in obverse. 

UPDATE FROM AN AMATUER: So I went through it on Photoshop, and it looks like they reassembled stats of the OA and did a little bit of cosmetic work to get them to work with a quick plaid treatment to one side of the suit. Would have been a bit of work to do, but the dimensions (with a little warping here and there) are so spot-on that the published version does not look to be light-boxed or re-done. While there might be a 97% stat out there, I think this is the real OA that leads to the corrected stat cover. That being said, you have a Two-Face image where the clean side of the room is on the scar-side of his face, and the dirty side is on the clean side of his face and editorial hated it so much they made a production guy bust out his master-class Exacto knife skills...can I get over that fact if I bid enough to win OR will it haunt me every time I look at it... uggh. Don't know.

If someone has a different opinion, I'd love to know about it. Again...amateur examination knowing that some of you are much better at this kind of thing.

Bob

Heritage changed their description:

"...while the published cover shows some differences, we believe this detailed piece was used, supplemented by stats created in production to create the printing plate.

To elaborate about the changes in the original art being offered and the final version of the published comic book, comparing the images of Batman and Two-Face on the original art to the published cover, they line up perfectly. For the cover, the pattern on Two-Face's suit was probably changed for editorial consistency or to make it easier to draw on the interior pages. On the cover, background elements appear to have been switched/photoshopped in production, but again align perfectly when mirrored."

1 hour ago, Sideshow Bob said:

Heritage changed their description:

"...while the published cover shows some differences, we believe this detailed piece was used, supplemented by stats created in production to create the printing plate.

To elaborate about the changes in the original art being offered and the final version of the published comic book, comparing the images of Batman and Two-Face on the original art to the published cover, they line up perfectly. For the cover, the pattern on Two-Face's suit was probably changed for editorial consistency or to make it easier to draw on the interior pages. On the cover, background elements appear to have been switched/photoshopped in production, but again align perfectly when mirrored."

The ol' Photoshop 1979 edition :)

Just a few days to go before live bidding starts. Some points of interest:

• Sal Buscema Defenders 9 cover = 15K
  • Frazetta Battlestar Galactica painting = 300K (reserve price)
  • Keown Hulk 374 cover = 15.5K
  • Kirby X-Men 4 splash = 120K
  • Kirby FF 95  cover = 78K
  • McKean Sandman 6 cover = 18K
  • Middleton NYX cover = 26K
  • Miller Dr. Starnge 46 cover = 6.3K
  • Swan Action 315 cover = 9.3K
  • Stevens Chelsea Girl illo = 9.9K
  • Cockrum X-Men 100 page = 15K
  • Colan Detective 510 cover (large image of Batman in electric chair) = 2.6K
  • Cowan ASM 266 cover = 7K
  • Garcia Lopez/Wrightson House of Mystery 251 unpublished cover = 2.1K
  • Infantino Star Wars 23 cover = 25K
  • Kane Dracula 16 cover = 6.5K
  • McFarlane ASM 320 page = 14K
  • Miller Wolverine page = 10.5K
  • Pollard FF 210 cover = 30K
  • Vess Web of Spidey 8 cover = 21.6K
  • Cardy Witching Hour 27 cover = 2.5K

Still lots of room to move upwards

53 minutes ago, mtlevy1 said:

So I got my Heritage catalogs from this week's auction - they left out the Platinum section one

I guess I haven't been spending enough :)

P.S. There was an ad for the auction in the LA Times a few days back - had the FF95 cover in B&W

Funny!  It's been years since I got a catalog.  I still appreciate the comprehensive online catalog, though!  I throw in bids here and there, and they do a nice job of curating your collection for you.  Tracking, bids, wins, etc.  Best, David

On 6/27/2020 at 8:33 PM, tth2 said:

Good grief, the Frazetta "Gods of Mars" B&W illustration is already at $21,600, with 12 days to go.  I know it's Frazetta, and it's from his highly coveted early 1970s work on the ERB Mars/John Carter books, but damn!  The image area is only 7.25" x 6"!

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/illustrations/frank-frazetta-the-gods-of-mars-frontispiece-illustration-original-art-nelson-doubleday-1971-/a/7231-94045.s?ic2=mybidspage-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyBids-101116

Now at 37k. The Fire and Ice piece, which has passed around several times, already at 16k. Nude woman sketch at 25k. Insane

1 hour ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Some pieces finally starting to move upwards last nite and into this morning...bidding was fairly quiet for some time before today

When I looked last night there were quite a few lots that seemed much lower across the board than I might've expected. Obviously it's not over yet but I did wonder if this was a sign of wider economy. Or just a reflection of the quality of the art on offer and frequency of auctions this year.

Joseph

30 minutes ago, cheekyj2112 said:

When I looked last night there were quite a few lots that seemed much lower across the board than I might've expected. Obviously it's not over yet but I did wonder if this was a sign of wider economy. Or just a reflection of the quality of the art on offer and frequency of auctions this year.

Joseph

Difficult to say for this auction.

however, last auction saw many lots double, triple and in a few instances, quadruple in value during the live bidding event so I’ll err to the side of optimism...for now 😏

Edited by jjonahjameson11