• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

July Heritage Auction Sorta Shaping Up!
3 3

519 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, Peter G said:

The FF 95 cover is pretty but its late in the run. Also, not to sidetrack into a political discussion but I do wonder if a team of white people will age well.

Late in the run and not an ideal image IMO.   

6 minutes ago, Bill C said:

Interesting thoughts on Kirby- what do people think of the 44.4K price tag on the Kirby/Sinnott self portrait? It's a great piece but does that seem high? (I don't follow his market close)

I didn’t like it at all.  I thought the proportions were a bit out of whack.  I thought it went super high.

to me it is interesting that the increase in the number of auctions HA is now running really doesn't seem to have hurt them. for the material that i look at, most of it seems around where it should be and some of it on the higher side of normal. in general, no real bargains not no real headscratchers either.

21 hours ago, exitmusicblue said:

Many characters have clones/kids/clones of clones of clones.  Some rise above the rest -- Miles and Spider-Gwen also come to mind along with X-23.

Remind me to send you a picture of the Phantom Pherret I had done.

1 hour ago, batman_fan said:

I actually liked to cover quite a bit.  The falling full size Thing image was great.

Okay, well, perhaps I’m in the minority.   One of my very least favourite of the Kirby FF covers

59 minutes ago, Bill C said:

Interesting thoughts on Kirby- what do people think of the 44.4K price tag on the Kirby/Sinnott self portrait? It's a great piece but does that seem high? (I don't follow his market close)

I thought it was a real neat piece.   Hard one to value though

5 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Buscema Conan splash = 31K

Cockrum Xmen 100 page = $23K

Cooke Batman/Spirit cover = 8.4K, which is interesting considering it has a $12.5K bid on Clink comic art exchange 

Cowan ASM 266 cover = $16K

Overall, prices felt strong - and a few like the Buscema Conan splash, very strong...I mean, I have seen covers for a lot less not long ago

The FF95 cover is a bit of a puzzle but simply doesn't grab me, may be a smart buy as eventually we'll all be dead and it simply will be a nice FF Kirby cover!

27 minutes ago, mtlevy1 said:

Overall, prices felt strong - and a few like the Buscema Conan splash, very strong...I mean, I have seen covers for a lot less not long ago

The FF95 cover is a bit of a puzzle but simply doesn't grab me, may be a smart buy as eventually we'll all be dead and it simply will be a nice FF Kirby cover!

Everything comes down to personal preference but I like the Fantastic Four 95 cover.  I hope whoever bought it holds on to it for a long time and enjoys the piece.

Screen Shot 2020-07-10 at 7.24.21 PM.png

On 7/9/2020 at 1:56 PM, malvin said:

The Tim Sale Long Halloween #10 cover seems low at $13K with BP, especially since A+ interiors are $5K+, but I never liked the covers as much as there was not a lot of detail, so maybe it's right.

Malvin

i sold this cover for 2200  7 years ago....for whatever that means? LOL

On 7/9/2020 at 2:28 PM, bluechip said:

I was hoping the Marvel Tales cover would go under the radar and not many bidders would recognize the Spider-man figures as one of the most often used images in Spidey merchandising.  

i told people 2 months ago this cover was 100% Romita... And that Spider-man image was used HUNDREDS of times on toys and merchandising throughout the 1970's.

it was awesome. 

FWIW..... i didn't bid on it

On 7/9/2020 at 6:25 PM, delekkerste said:

Yeah, I would have bid well beyond the pittance that unpublished cover hammered for had I known that there was a full Spidey figure underneath the stat.  

Two things that I have learned over the years:  

(1) Don't dismiss a piece because of condition issues/damage that can potentially be fixed (the near-complete G.I. Joe #2 story would be mine today had I realized that the "aggressive mold" could have been removed/treated)

and 

(2) Don't dismiss a piece because of a stat paste-over without checking if there might be art underneath

ON the ASM 97 unpub cover.......Spider-man was all completely drawn under the stat....(just moved 1/4 inch) There is ALSO a bottle with pills falling onto the ground drawn under the drawn empty hand of Harry Osborn under the drawn art

(I had zero knowledge Spider-Man was drawn...) I just had a strong feeling that art would be drawn underneath the stat as i didn't believe in 1971 they would have blank area under the stat and that marvel editors just moved the art hopefully.

I'm glad I was right!

I also bought the Andru ASM 185 cover from Heritage and they listed the Spider-man head as STAT....while that was true...the beautiful  Andru / Esposito Spiderman drawn head was directly under the Romita Spiderman head stat.

I also won in 2018 the Carmine Infantino Spider-Woman #13 Unpublished Cover

They listed the Spider-Woman character on the cover as ALL STAT..... and i bought it and the original drawn Spider-Woman image is directly under the stat,  (just moved over 1/4 inch)

the best one i ever got from heritage was the Large Art Strange Tales #168 cover..... listed as art in layers........ and part stat.....

well......... under the very bottom layer of art was........a completely drawn full size different large art cover image  right under the top layers of art with a completely different Dr Strange cover scene with the space scene also drawn in slightly different poses.....

Edited by romitaman

8 hours ago, Bill C said:

I had it around 25-30 K so good for the seller. I really liked it.

1 hour ago, romitaman said:

ON the ASM 97 unpub cover.......Spider-man was all completely drawn under the stat....(just moved 1/4 inch) There is ALSO a bottle with pills falling onto the ground drawn under the drawn empty hand of Harry Osborn under the drawn art

(I had zero knowledge Spider-Man was drawn...) I just had a strong feeling that art would be drawn underneath the stat as i didn't believe in 1971 they would have blank area under the stat and that marvel editors just moved the art hopefully.

I'm glad I was right!

I also bought the Andru ASM 185 cover from Heritage and they listed the Spider-man head as STAT....while that was true...the beautiful  Andru / Esposito Spiderman drawn head was directly under the Romita Spiderman head stat.

I also won in 2018 the Carmine Infantino Spider-Woman #13 Unpublished Cover

They listed the Spider-Woman character on the cover as ALL STAT..... and i bought it and the original drawn Spider-Woman image is directly under the stat,  (just moved over 1/4 inch)

the best one i ever got from heritage was the Large Art Strange Tales #168 cover..... listed as art in layers........ and part stat.....

well......... under the very bottom layer of art was........a completely drawn full size different large art cover image  right under the top layers of art with a completely different Dr Strange cover scene with the space scene also drawn in slightly different poses.....

The trend I am starting to see is seller + auction house not doing basic homework. Romitaman the benefactor.

As for the aforementioned Marvel Tales Cover. How does that come to auction and the seller doesn’t know what they have? Late acknowledgement of all Romita artwork I believe came too late to boost the sellers fortunes.

Anything Romita worked on that I’m not 💯 % sure of I gotta ask Mike!!! Wow good for the buyer.

8 hours ago, Bronty said:

Okay, well, perhaps I’m in the minority.   One of my very least favourite of the Kirby FF covers

i like the FF cover, nice layout and action. But I think two factors have weighed on the price. First , you really see only Reed’s and Sue’s faces and the Torch is smallish and facing away from the viewer. Second, the issue is not very memorable, even by the standards of late in the run.

So I think the price was about right. Other covers from around that period would do much better (99 and of course 100 come to mind)

On 7/6/2020 at 7:55 PM, Sideshow Bob said:

Heritage changed their description:

"...while the published cover shows some differences, we believe this detailed piece was used, supplemented by stats created in production to create the printing plate.

To elaborate about the changes in the original art being offered and the final version of the published comic book, comparing the images of Batman and Two-Face on the original art to the published cover, they line up perfectly. For the cover, the pattern on Two-Face's suit was probably changed for editorial consistency or to make it easier to draw on the interior pages. On the cover, background elements appear to have been switched/photoshopped in production, but again align perfectly when mirrored."

The published cover was at an exhibit last year. This piece might have been part of the published cover, but who knows. But seriously, 22 k for this?