• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

July Heritage Auction Sorta Shaping Up!
3 3

519 posts in this topic

24 minutes ago, grapeape said:

Often you can see the original art through the stat or by lifting the stat up off the panel.

I think he wants to know how if the auction is online. 
I haven’t faced the problem but I would just make an educated guess, at least if the past-up isn’t large. Or, ask the auction house.

I'd pegged the ASM #320 page at $25k; that and the ASM #313 page seemed bang on.

The OA market continues to impress, particularly '70s Marvel (which I've been expecting to soften for some years) and mid-'80s to mid-'90s superhero (no surprise).

Shock of the auction was that Ryan/Palmer Avengers #315 cover for $10.2k :whatthe:

4 hours ago, Brian Peck said:

I didn't get the New Teen Titans #28 page with Kory and , that went alot higher ($3600) than expected.

You forgot the Starfire orgasm tax for the page. 

1125923268_Starfire2.PNG.b3e60466f5e9ae43ab7d369f222cf3ca.PNG

Edited by delekkerste

2 hours ago, comix4fun said:

Well we all know what sells Spider-man covers, right?......Spider-man...and not the Bat er Spidey-signal

985036577_websidebyside1copy.thumb.jpg.a4a300f8ea3100fe31b90d0789e99605.jpg

That's why I noted that there was no chance that the Web #8 was going for $23k (which is 30% less than what it went for, which is what you said you expected it to go for) because I don't see a world where these two covers are a couple bidding increments apart. 

And you're right, it wasn't a safe assumption to say it would go for 2x or 2.5x the Web annual cover..40-50k is a lot of cash for any modern cover with not much in terms of market comps to drive confidence in bidding. That's why my guess, as I noted earlier,  was $30k. 1.5x the web cover. It felt like it could go to $32-33k with just a nudge (my finger was all over the button) but I felt $40k would not happen. So you're right on the number, and I'll let those images speak for themselves. lol 

I actually like the Annual cover more - nicer colors and composition to me. But, yeah, the marketplace was always going to value the larger Spidey image much higher. 

Edited by delekkerste

12 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

I actually like the Annual cover more - nicer colors and composition to me. But, yeah, the marketplace was always going to value the larger Spidey image much higher. 

I liked the annual more as published than how the art looks. Editorial license was taken with the brightness and contrast.....punched it up a bit when I saw it on the stands. 

Darkening the building made the image of the spider-man signal more dramatic. I was disappointed when I saw the scan of the artwork in comparison.

-4138801684057680959.jpg.8867c525dd0cfeeee726f0d718bbd85c.jpg

9 hours ago, delekkerste said:

I think it's a good page, but, would stop short of calling it great, personally. 

I've learned that people who really want to scratch an itch sometimes just bid up whatever is available at the moment (rather than risk having to wait for another example to come down the pike and/or prices to rise further), which can cause good pieces to be priced like great pieces.  This often happens for pieces where demand swamps supply like Killing Joke and McSpidey and people are worried about getting frozen out or priced out if they don't jump on what's available at the moment. 

See I think there are a lot of great pages that do their job and just look right. I love the overall feel and balance to the page (hate saying composition because it sounds haughty). I think it’s great. Just having a Spider-Man on the page makes it good IMO. If he is fighting someone major it becomes that elite level. To each their own though. I’ve sold some mcspidey before for like 4-6k years before that just had spidey on them in minor panels or obscured. I think this was a full market but not nuts buy.

41 minutes ago, Brian Peck said:

This makes the X-Men #4 for $132K and even better deal.

Somebody paid a record $114,000 for a rare Super Mario Bros. video game

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/11/us/super-mario-bros-auction-trnd/index.html

Id rather have the SMB! lol 

I understand that you may not appreciate how few of those early ones are around in that kind of condition or the demand for them.  I compare it to a high grade AF15.   (No the analogy doesn’t work perfectly, they rarely do across hobbies but it may be the key game of the last 40 years).   

Edited by Bronty

6 hours ago, comix4fun said:

Well we all know what sells Spider-man covers, right?......Spider-man...and not the Bat er Spidey-signal

985036577_websidebyside1copy.thumb.jpg.a4a300f8ea3100fe31b90d0789e99605.jpg

That's why I noted that there was no chance that the Web #8 was going for $23k (which is 30% less than what it went for, which is what you said you expected it to go for) because I don't see a world where these two covers are a couple bidding increments apart. 

And you're right, it wasn't a safe assumption to say it would go for 2x or 2.5x the Web annual cover..40-50k is a lot of cash for any modern cover with not much in terms of market comps to drive confidence in bidding. That's why my guess, as I noted earlier,  was $30k. 1.5x the web cover. It felt like it could go to $32-33k with just a nudge (my finger was all over the button) but I felt $40k would not happen. So you're right on the number, and I'll let those images speak for themselves. lol 

No kidding ... this one is so much nicer.  And yeah the trouble with 40-50k+ is at that level you’re getting into the value of that kravens hunt Spec spidey cover that recently sold and I can’t see that.   I think the annual 2 probably sold a little strong and the #6 a touch light.   They shouldn’t have been as close as they were for sure!

Edited by Bronty

9 hours ago, cstojano said:

I got my first and likely only piece of video game art - the Warren Chang Raiders of the Lost Ark interior (pharaoh not sphynx). I was right in the middle of a conference call when those lots hit, may have gone in more on the sphynx to keep them together but I was speaking when the "you've been outbid" alert rung, not sure if the rest of the call heard or not, a bit mortified. No clue if it was good value. I think it was the stronger of the two and the price difference in the end felt like a better deal to me. The size is decent as well. I think these were being offered initially at a gallery for 4500 if I am not mistaken.

Congrats!  If you were going to end up with just one, that's definitely the best of the pair.  It's a cool piece that presents well on it's own (without the context of original use) and I'm certain it's the sort of thing that will blow you away when you see it in person.

13 hours ago, Bronty said:

Not everybody’s bag I know but anyone with a passing interest have thoughts on the game art results?    I thought the banjo advertisement art and knuckles sega visions mag cover were very strong at 17 and 18, and everything else seemed to meet expectations at a minimum and generally strong for what it was.

I was honestly shocked to see the BK piece go for what it did, given that it was ad-related and didn't even have Banjo.  Very strong, indeed.

26 minutes ago, ShallowDan said:

I was honestly shocked to see the BK piece go for what it did, given that it was ad-related and didn't even have Banjo.  Very strong, indeed.

I was too.   I’ve since heard from one bidder that he went strong because the covers are digital and this was a rare traditional piece for that franchise, but yeah.   17k for a banjo that’s only a silhoutte raised my eyebrows.

6 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

I think he wants to know how if the auction is online. 
I haven’t faced the problem but I would just make an educated guess, at least if the past-up isn’t large. Or, ask the auction house.

I didn't know (1) whether the stat was translucent enough, and (2) whether the stat could be removed without (a) damaging the piece's value, and (b) obliterating whatever was attached under it.

Can someone explain the Batman 313 piece to me. I mean the piece is nothing like the published cover. Every component ist different, reversed, the other side, nothing. Not even production notes. How come it sells for 22,800?

6 hours ago, RBerman said:

I didn't know (1) whether the stat was translucent enough, and (2) whether the stat could be removed without (a) damaging the piece's value, and (b) obliterating whatever was attached under it.

Personally, I would not be too interested in whether there was original art under a stat or not. A lot of the value in this hobby, both financially and aesthetically, is based on a nostalgia factor. So, the original is what would matter most. The fact that there is, essentially, “rejected” art under a stat is a very small consolation prize. I would value it like an artist’s simple sketch, doodle, or a piece of a prelim.  With that said, I go my own way in OA, and many may not agree.

7 hours ago, wurstisart said:

Can someone explain the Batman 313 piece to me. I mean the piece is nothing like the published cover. Every component ist different, reversed, the other side, nothing. Not even production notes. How come it sells for 22,800?

You mentioned earlier that the published cover art exists in a collection. 

Maybe that owner desired this early version as a companion piece and got into a bid contest with another collector who knew this was their only chance at an unpublished version. 

Batman, Two-Face, the error, Garcia-Lopez, plenty to like about it.  David

1 hour ago, aokartman said:

You mentioned earlier that the published cover art exists in a collection. 

Maybe that owner desired this early version as a companion piece and got into a bid contest with another collector who knew this was their only chance at an unpublished version. 

Batman, Two-Face, the error, Garcia-Lopez, plenty to like about it.  David

Fair assumption, but that’s a lot of love for a companion piece. 

What would be the estimate if it would have been the published cover?

21 minutes ago, wurstisart said:

Fair assumption, but that’s a lot of love for a companion piece. 

What would be the estimate if it would have been the published cover?

Instinctively, with this comp, the original is now much higher estimate than it might have been previously.  Remember,

there is the possibility of market manipulation going on, possibly look for the original to surface in the future.

Garcia-Lopez has a strong and long history of comic art credits on mainstream titles.

Best, David

Edited by aokartman
history