• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

July Heritage Auction Sorta Shaping Up!
3 3

519 posts in this topic

I should say, it'd be a personal grail as someone who collected Harvey PCH.  GA OA can go for underwhelming prices.  This one's a bit tough for me to gauge... competing factors.  Not superhero stuff, Lee Elias on his own is respected but not legend, Misfits have their cult following which likely dwindles by the year.

i.e. could be a great time to auction.

Edited by exitmusicblue

There are definitely a few Harvey covers I wish I had bought over the past few months. I collected some of the comics many years ago and the covers are going for $5-6k (and some are pretty interesting). Challenge is that the prices haven't really gone up much over the past few years (maybe because of decent supply), so never felt to need to get one now.  Need to find just one that I really, really like and add that to my collection.

1 hour ago, exitmusicblue said:

I should say, it'd be a personal grail as someone who collected Harvey PCH.  GA OA can go for underwhelming prices.  This one's a bit tough for me to gauge... competing factors.  Not superhero stuff, Lee Elias on his own is respected but not legend, Misfits have their cult following which likely dwindles by the year.

i.e. could be a great time to auction.

I had never see this cover, or given a moment's thought to "Harvey PCH" or "Warren Kremer," and I've never listened to that band or seen their album cover, but when I saw the prelim cover for this come up for auction years ago I bid several times what the conventional wisdom said you should pay for any prelim by a top artist featuring a top hero.  I couldn't believe I didn't get it, but what happened was that someone (maybe several people) realized, even better than I did, that it was a really creative and evocative piece, regardless of whether you liked comics or had ever hear of any of the people, bands or publications involved.   

it does beg the question of what drink do you imbibe out of a stubby goblet that is... pale and vaguely reddish?    The mind goes to wine but the glass would be an odd shape at least today for wine, unless 50s glasses looked like that?   And the color doesn't suggest wine exactly either.   

So what is our buddy the skeleton drinking and out of what kind of glass?

Realistically I think Elias just made it a wide, stubby glass so that it wouldn't distract from other parts of the cover and would allow a perfect shaped window into the skeleton behind the skin... but now that I've had my attention drawn to that I keep coming back to it.

Edited by Bronty

1 minute ago, Bronty said:

it does beg the question of what drink do you imbibe out of a stubby goblet that is... pale and vaguely reddish?    The mind goes to wine but the glass would be an odd shape at least today for wine, unless 50s glasses looked like that?   And the color doesn't suggest wine exactly either.   

So what is our buddy the skeleton drinking and out of what kind of glass?

Realistically I think Elias just made it a stubby glass so that it wouldn't distract from other parts of the cover... but now that I've seen that I can't unsee it.

cheap scotch

should be a little browner then no?    Not to mention the skeleton can really hold his booze if he's drinking glasses of the hard stuff that size.

You might say the booze goes right through him.   Rimshot!

While we are at it part deux, if we can see her skeleton through the glass, why do we still see her hair?   Shouldn't we be seeing only skull?

Something about this cover bugged me just a tad.    As I'm talking it out I guess its these various inconsistencies.    You expect some of this in GA art but it still makes me pause.

11 minutes ago, Bronty said:

While we are at it part deux, if we can see her skeleton through the glass, why do we still see her hair?   Shouldn't we be seeing only skull?

Something about this cover bugged me just a tad.    As I'm talking it out I guess its these various inconsistencies.    You expect some of this in GA art but it still makes me pause.

The true travesty (not judging the art at all) is the horrendous rendering of human orbital skeletal anatomy. 

1 minute ago, cstojano said:

The true travesty (not judging the art at all) is the horrendous rendering of human orbital skeletal anatomy. 

I sense crafty future bidders driving the final bidding down 😂

5 minutes ago, cstojano said:

someone with a skeleton like that would be hard to look at, I hear you