• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

July Heritage Auction Sorta Shaping Up!
3 3

519 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, comicnoir said:

chamber of chills 19 OA.jpg

Top 5, hands down (or up in this case). This is one of my favorite comics of all time. It defines horror comics for me. The entire genre is so jarring and interesting when compared to most other comics of the time, it’s no surprise what a premium those elite scare cover books go for.

3 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

Anyone own JIM 117?

JIM 117 strikes me as more of a generic war cover and is from '65 when Vietnam was escalating from an occupation to a response to an "attack on the US", at least in the public's eye.  Public perception would be, "Hey, Thor's helping the troops!"  It's cartoony to the point of silliness (the guy with the mortar is dropping the round in backward...)

Cap 125 is 5 years later, more gritty, and now well into the era of protest against the war.  This is post-Tet, Nixon is in office, and the US public wants us out.  The art is much starker and realistic, to the point of almost being subversive when you consider the fact that it's Captain freaking America about to get stabbed in the back!  

21 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

Top 5, hands down (or up in this case). This is one of my favorite comics of all time. It defines horror comics for me. The entire genre is so jarring and interesting when compared to most other comics of the time, it’s no surprise what a premium those elite scare cover books go for.

Iconic. They live ! 

41 minutes ago, szav said:

Sorry I think I missed you saying that in my haste.  Just having some fun.

I think this is one of the all time PCH classics and it'll be fun to see where it lands.  With what people are currently paying for the books, one can only guess what this piece will go for.  I'm just a casual observer in the OA market, but it does seem to me GA does not get the same love that SA does. 

I think it may be considered bad etiquette in this forum to guess on prices for things, but I will say this piece to me is infinitely cooler and more unique than all of the run of the mill hero pages and covers that go for 100k plus nowadays.

Oh I think it certainly deserves 6 figures as well.   Where it ends up will be interesting . 

42 minutes ago, szav said:

Sorry I think I missed you saying that in my haste.  Just having some fun.

Me too.  It’s kinda fun to step back and look at the things that seem silly even on classics that we’ve stopped really questioning. 

One thing is for sure - our bad boy skeleton has his cufflink game ON POINT!

Just now, Bronty said:

Funny you mention this because in my meticulous study of the piece to try and find more fault with it for comical purposes... today was the first time I’d ever noticed the skull cuff links, and they’re a nice touch for sure.

3 minutes ago, szav said:

Funny you mention this because in my meticulous study of the piece to try and find more fault with it for comical purposes... today was the first time I’d ever noticed the skull cuff links, and they’re a nice touch for sure.

I also like the fact (unintentional at the time I'm sure) that she's smoking a cigarette and becoming a skeleton.    Comic book cover?  Anti tobacco ad?   You decide.

2 hours ago, buttock said:

JIM 117 strikes me as more of a generic war cover and is from '65 when Vietnam was escalating from an occupation to a response to an "attack on the US", at least in the public's eye.  Public perception would be, "Hey, Thor's helping the troops!"  It's cartoony to the point of silliness (the guy with the mortar is dropping the round in backward...)

Cap 125 is 5 years later, more gritty, and now well into the era of protest against the war.  This is post-Tet, Nixon is in office, and the US public wants us out.  The art is much starker and realistic, to the point of almost being subversive when you consider the fact that it's Captain freaking America about to get stabbed in the back!  

Vietnam was referenced also on a Tales of Suspense cover with Cap but the image is him facing off with a cliched Asian bad guy in the form of an evil Sumo wrestler.   Don't know the issue #. Sgt. Fury Annual (I think #3) shows Fury and the Howlers fighting in Vietnam.  It's pretty much a straightforward war scene.   JIM 117 was reprinted in a Thor Annual about the same time as the unpublished cap cover.   Marie Severin was tapped to create that new cover as well, and it goes a step further in its depiction of the Viet Cong chasing down Don Blake and calling him a "Yankee dog", iirc

The war and/or protests of the era began to get mentioned inside the books at the end of the 60s/early 70s but show up only a few times on covers, seldom enough that I sorta think I recall most -- Spider-man 68, Iron Man 45, Cap 120, Daredevil 70 and a Sub-mariner issue (47?).    

Walked away a beat and then remembered there's few additional Sgt. Fury covers which also reflect the Vietnam war and protests, indirectly.  There's the "Peacemonger" issue with a bloody battle with Asian (Japanese) troops drawn oddly inside a peace symbol, and "Who'll Stop the Bombs" which was a story about Dresden, but depicts children as collateral damage on the cover and features Fury trying to save what is clearly intended to be a 1970 Vietnamese kid who somehow got in the path of the bombs dropped by Allies on Germany in 1945.    

Edited by bluechip

4 hours ago, buttock said:

I just meant it was the only similar cover from the ERA I could remember.

6 hours ago, Bronty said:

I also like the fact (unintentional at the time I'm sure) that she's smoking a cigarette and becoming a skeleton.    Comic book cover?  Anti tobacco ad?   You decide.

Without lungs, I guess she isn’t inhaling. 

23 hours ago, Bronty said:

Me too.  It’s kinda fun to step back and look at the things that seem silly even on classics that we’ve stopped really questioning. 

Only if it is a double-sided cufflink. If it is the much more common one-sided cufflink, it is wrong. 

And yeah, nitpickers gotta nitpick.