• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

July Heritage Auction Sorta Shaping Up!
3 3

519 posts in this topic

On 7/19/2020 at 8:17 PM, grapeape said:

The Quiet Man is a must watch at least once a year.

We watch it every year on St Patrick's Day. I myself have watched it for about 40 years now, every year, and have owned the VHS, and now the DVD. You can fast forward through the courtin' and rain scene perhaps to speed it up (after some Guinness or perhaps some of the ol' green you can get pretty sleepy 'bout then) but that fight..."you do this to me...after...after?"

Edited by Bird
I use a line from this movie in every sales thread I have ever run and no one has ever mentioned where it is from

9 minutes ago, Bird said:

We watch it every year on St Patrick's Day. I myself have watched it for about 40 years now, every year, and have owned the VHS, and now the DVD. You can fast forward through the courtin' and rain scene perhaps to speed it up (after some Guinness or perhaps some of the ol' green you can get pretty sleepy 'bout then) but that fight..."you do this to me...after...after?"

https://www.quotes.net/mquote/76452 ?

1 hour ago, Bird said:

When I was a wee lad I saw my grandmother watching the movie with tears in her eyes. “I watch this every Saint Patrick’s Day,” she said.

Next time it came on I watched it beginning to end. It’s simply a great classic film for so many reasons. It’s a great love story, it’s funny and the “fight” is one of the greatest events ever captured on film.

Cheers

🍇  🦍 

42 minutes ago, grapeape said:

When I was a wee lad I saw my grandmother watching the movie with tears in her eyes. “I watch this every Saint Patrick’s Day,” she said.

Next time it came on I watched it beginning to end. It’s simply a great classic film for so many reasons. It’s a great love story, it’s funny and the “fight” is one of the greatest events ever captured on film.

Cheers

🍇  🦍 

I'm not even kidding you, m'friend, but "grape + ape" appeared in my dream either last night or the night before.  Some celebrity said it dramatically, may well have been Johnny Depp (since he's been in the news lately for not-good reasons, but the dream moment was a very simple one).  It was epiphany-like.   Seeing this 🍇  🦍 led me to recall...  :O 

5 minutes ago, exitmusicblue said:

I'm not even kidding you, m'friend, but "grape + ape" appeared in my dream either last night or the night before.  Some celebrity said it dramatically, may well have been Johnny Depp (since he's been in the news lately for not-good reasons, but the dream moment was a very simple one).  It was epiphany-like.   Seeing this 🍇  🦍 led me to recall...  :O 

I’m a legend in my own mind! Now poor fellow I’ve infected your brain as well. I’m pretty sure all Radiohead fans are connected via the OK Computer preparing us for the alien(s)

Poor Johnny Depp the shines come off a bit huh? Donnie Brasco introduces 

🍇 + 🦍   Fuhgedabout it !!!

6 hours ago, grapeape said:

I’m a legend in my own mind! Now poor fellow I’ve infected your brain as well. I’m pretty sure all Radiohead fans are connected via the OK Computer preparing us for the alien(s)

Poor Johnny Depp the shines come off a bit huh? Donnie Brasco introduces 

🍇 + 🦍   Fuhgedabout it !!!

Did you ever give your beloved a grape ape mixtape?

HA just posted a great piece for the September Signature.

Avengers #58 splash  original art from the classic story "Even An Android Can Cry" by John Buscema and George Klein 

From the issue right after "Behold... The Vision". Pages from Avengers #58 are rare and and panel pages can command from $10K-15K. I don't remember splash coming to auction before, probably just passed thru private sales. What does every one think the hammer on this will be?

Only Black Panther but an iconic story and everyone knows the title of the story "Even An Android Can Cry" which is carved into stone on this page.

I figure $35K-40K

_Avengers-_58cvr.jpg

3 hours ago, robert frey said:

wasn't this just sold late last year? easy come, easy go, i guess

Yes, it was at Profiles in December.  Sold for $25K hammer to a floor bidder, so, $30K with the 20% non-iCollector BP.

26 minutes ago, romitaman said:

unpub asm 82 cover would sell for more than the pub asm 82 if both were put in auction but both are great covers.

People may not know... The original asm 82 cover was supposedly lost at Marvel going from the logo dept to the printer for publication..... it couldnt be found so marie severin quickly drew a penciled cover and romita inked it for publication...the original all Romita drawn asm 82 (with original logo and all dress still on it) was found..and Marvel later published it for the marvel tales version to this story.

it's awesome and top notch Romita at his best.

Well, no doubt if the all-Romita version had been published as ASM #82, and the Severin/Romita version had been published as, say, ASM #83, the nicer drawn all-Romita cover would undoubtedly blow the Severin/Romita cover out of the water at auction, as you said.  And the all-Romita version does look about $80K more expensive with the ASM trade dress on it than the Marvel Tales dressing!

That said, given that the all-Romita cover was published 5 years later as a Marvel Tales cover and doesn't have the nostalgia and cachet of being a published pre-#100 cover from the main run, I'm not sure how much of a premium - if any - it would have over the published ASM #82 cover in a side-by-side auction.  I'm not saying that it couldn't (or even shouldn't) trade at a premium, but, I suspect that many people would rather have the published #82 cover for various reasons (nostalgia, cachet, etc.)  The unpublished #82/Marvel Tales #63 cover is definitely for someone who is more of a purist when it comes to the art itself, which, as you said and I concur, is Romita at his best. 

That said, I do think the fact that was unpublished as an ASM cover and ended up as the cover in the reprint title could handicap it somewhat - I mean, the unpublished Kirby X-Men #10 cover didn't exactly fly off the dealer shelves (and it's nicer than the published version) when it was available/offered, and the ASM #97 unpublished cover you nabbed at Heritage (which had some questions about the statted figure/art underneath, to be sure) sold for pennies on the dollar of where the published cover would be valued at even though being extremely nice itself.  From a market point of view, there is a big benefit attached to being published in the main run.

Just my 2c...not making any definitive judgments here, just playing devil's advocate.  I actually think it would be fascinating to auction these off side-by-side and see how they do. :popcorn: 

1 hour ago, romitaman said:

unpub asm 82 cover would sell for more than the pub asm 82 if both were put in auction but both are great covers.

People may not know... The original asm 82 cover was supposedly lost at Marvel going from the logo dept to the printer for publication..... it couldnt be found so marie severin quickly drew a penciled cover and romita inked it for publication...the original all Romita drawn asm 82 (with original logo and all dress still on it) was found..and Marvel later published it for the marvel tales version to this story.

it's awesome and top notch Romita at his best.

ab17412ce550592061a92c56a3a34e5e--black-white-art-amazing-spiderman.jpg

oh interesting.   So the marvel tales was the originally intended ASM 82?   That has to help value a bit.

1 hour ago, Timely said:

To me, buying an unpublished cover is akin to buying a vintage commission piece. It rests on it's own merit as a piece of art and nothing more.

Absolutely 👍

1 hour ago, Timely said:

To me, buying an unpublished cover is akin to buying a vintage commission piece. It rests on it's own merit as a piece of art and nothing more.

That sounds like something I expect to hear when selling an unpublished cover and never to hear when I am trying to buy one.

The largest reason the art for a published comic book cover (which is nearly always, by definition, an unfinished version of the published art) has value is due to its place in the cultural landscape. 

So an earlier version of the same piece created during the same process by the same artist and for the same purpose will be a lot more desirable than a commission piece created for an individual. 

In fine art, the closest thing in the fine art world to an unpublished classic comic cover would be, say, a preliminary version of a world-famous piece.  If someone had an "unpublished" version of a world-famous piece of art (and such things do exist) I doubt you could get the seller to believe it was worth no more than some contemporary commission portrait the artist made of some random rich person virtually unknown today, which the artist did to pay the rent.   

If you had a manuscript that wasn't the "final" version of a famous book would you hope to pay the same as you would for a contemporary commission piece by the same author which ended up having virtually no effect on culture (despite its quality or lack thereof)?   If you did I suspect you'd be disappointed.      

Edited by bluechip

1 minute ago, bluechip said:

That sounds like something I expect to hear when selling an unpublished cover and never to hear when I am trying to buy one.

The largest reason the art for a published comic book cover (which is nearly always, by definition, an unfinished version of the published art) has value is due to its place in the cultural landscape. 

So an earlier version of the same piece created during the same process by the same artist and for the same purpose will be a lot more desirable than a commission piece created for an individual. 

In fine art, the closest thing in the fine art world to an unpublished cover would be a preliminary version of a world-famous famous piece.  If someone had an "unpublished" version of the Mona Lisa (meaning, not the one DaVinci handed over), I doubt you could get them to believe it was worth no more than some contemporary commission painting of some unknown rich person. 

If you had a manuscript that wasn't the "final" version of a famous book would you hope to pay the same as you would for a contemporary commission piece by the same author which ended up having virtually no effect on culture (despite its quality or lack thereof)?   If you did I suspect you'd be disappointed.      

If he had said there’s no difference  in value between an unpublished cover and a published cover I’d agree.

I’ve seen covers rejected by publishers that subjectively were better then the published cover. The market would undoubtedly value the published cover more.

On merit, the eye and heart of the art purveyor may prefer the unpublished.

Cheers

🍇+🦍