• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

July Heritage Auction Sorta Shaping Up!
3 3

519 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, tth2 said:

I noticed a couple of Jim Lee pieces inked by our own Scott Williams.

Scott, I have to ask, did it ever irritate you that Jim drew so many lines?  Did you ever think to yourself that if you were inking, say, Steve Dillon, you would've been finished in about 1/3 the time?

@stinkininkin

7 minutes ago, Mephisto said:

Would be a whole lot cooler if it featured the Brotherhood instead of a team that was forced into reprints in well under a decade. 

Could be worse -  could be a Hulk splash. They cancelled him after only six issues.

On 5/24/2020 at 2:41 PM, batman_fan said:

Images isn't up yet but X-men 4 splash is listed now.

X-men 4 Splash

I will go out on the limb and predict this sells for a lot. lol

It was listed for sale at $225K on Anthony's website and on CAF very shortly before it was consigned to Heritage.  Anthony has had it for sale for the better part of the past decade.  I think it suffered from comparisons to the X-Men #2 splash (lots of drama here on the Boards surrounding that one, as old-timers will recall), which sold a bit before the #4 hit the market (now many years ago), both in terms of the content and the price tag.  And then, it didn't sell for many years as it just became overexposed and acquired a bit of a "what's wrong with it for it to not be selling for so long" taint.  Maybe it will get some fresh eyes on it at Heritage.  

Speaking of the #2 splash, I don't know who picked it up, but, man, was that ever a shrewd buy - whatever stink it had around it from the drama of selling the piece (long story; maybe someone can find the old thread about it) is now long gone, and now what remains is just a historic and excellent Kirby X-Men splash.  Maybe the #4 can similarly be rehabilitated if someone takes it down at a reasonable price and buries it for a decade...or two. 

I hope the Heritage description of the #4 will disclose the condition issues and restoration work that was done to the page. 

Edited by delekkerste

On 5/23/2020 at 9:05 AM, Skizz said:

THIS THE MOST IMPRESSIVE PIECE OF ART I’VE EVER SEEN !!!

I didn’t even know this was CAF. Or even that this is how the art was done by McKean. 

Thanks for pointing this out.

Is it still owned by Scott Eder? 

1 hour ago, The-Collector said:

Is it still owned by Scott Eder? 

Couldn’t say. I only learned about it when it was pointed out of this thread. It’s still on his CAF gallery marked NFS, so presumably he still has it.

Maybe @comix4fun has better information. 

12 hours ago, delekkerste said:

It was listed for sale at $225K on Anthony's website and on CAF very shortly before it was consigned to Heritage.  Anthony has had it for sale for the better part of the past decade.  I think it suffered from comparisons to the X-Men #2 splash (lots of drama here on the Boards surrounding that one, as old-timers will recall), which sold a bit before the #4 hit the market (now many years ago), both in terms of the content and the price tag.  And then, it didn't sell for many years as it just became overexposed and acquired a bit of a "what's wrong with it for it to not be selling for so long" taint.  Maybe it will get some fresh eyes on it at Heritage.  

Speaking of the #2 splash, I don't know who picked it up, but, man, was that ever a shrewd buy - whatever stink it had around it from the drama of selling the piece (long story; maybe someone can find the old thread about it) is now long gone, and now what remains is just a historic and excellent Kirby X-Men splash.  Maybe the #4 can similarly be rehabilitated if someone takes it down at a reasonable price and buries it for a decade...or two. 

I hope the Heritage description of the #4 will disclose the condition issues and restoration work that was done to the page. 

Over/under on what it goes for?

2 hours ago, Unstoppablejayd said:

Over/under on what it goes for?

I've talked to a lot of people about it and the camps seem to be split into the sub-$150K crowd and the $200K+ crowd.  

I'm going to set the opening betting line at $168K ($140K plus BP). 

sounds like a good guess to me.   I'd even wager an increment lower.      I don't see this having enough wow factor image wise to get to 200+

On 5/27/2020 at 8:10 PM, delekkerste said:

Anthony has had it for sale for the better part of the past decade.

I vaguely remember Snyder asking ~$135k, or ~$150k(?), for the X-Men #4 title splash in the summer of 2013, or 2014...since then, I have heard he allegedly sold a stake in the piece & perhaps he always had a 'partner' in its acquisition...

20200527_233542.gif