• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

July Heritage Auction Sorta Shaping Up!
3 3

519 posts in this topic

For those of you who enjoy schadenfreude, like me, an Aparo Phantom Stranger cover went for $7,200 including a $1,200 Buyer’s Premium. Several years ago, Albert Moy was trying to sell it for $8,000 without success. Then, about 2 years ago, the Brothers were trying to sell it for $11,000. God laughs at plans.

34 minutes ago, Kevin76 said:

It’s a pretty nice page with Spidey throughout, but I pegged it at $20K

6 hours ago, Carlo M said:

That’s all I see when I look at the cover:   Mister fantastic rolled up like a newspaper and completely distracting from anything else going on in the cover.  I think the composition wasn’t a great success.   2c  That being said I agree with Gene that the price is perhaps a touch soft and that Kirby art has been appreciating more slowly lately.   It’s been some time since I was significantly surprised to the upside by a Kirby result.   It’s classic but let’s also be real if FF95 becomes 300k than the really desirable marvel and even DC kirbys ratchet up to a price level that’s just not supportable at this time.

Edited by Bronty

Depending on cost base but yeah.   The FF95 seller won’t have much if anything to pay in the way of tax on gains once he deducts fees

Edited by Bronty

Not everybody’s bag I know but anyone with a passing interest have thoughts on the game art results?    I thought the banjo advertisement art and knuckles sega visions mag cover were very strong at 17 and 18, and everything else seemed to meet expectations at a minimum and generally strong for what it was.

Edited by Bronty

25 minutes ago, Bronty said:

Not everybody’s bag I know but anyone with a passing interest have thoughts on the game art results?    I thought the banjo advertisement art and knuckles sega visions mag cover were very strong at 17 and 18, and everything else seemed to meet expectations at a minimum and generally strong for what it was.

That Knuckles jumped didn’t it? It very low throughout the auction. On July 7, it was still at $1,250. So deceiving. 

1 hour ago, grapeape said:

Too low I thought. It’s a beautiful cover. That one was a good buy no doubt. 

I love Vess’ Spiderman and IMHO his version is among the top 3.  If this was published as an ASM cover, I can see $45K, but as a Web of Spidey cover, I think the $30K is quite strong.  30% above what I expected.

1 minute ago, John E. said:

That Knuckles jumped didn’t it? It very low throughout the auction. On July 7, it was still at $1,250. So deceiving. 

Yes, spirited bidding for sure.   And apparently lying in wait beforehand! 

36 minutes ago, Bronty said:

I thought this was strong. Neither piece was a knockout and the Banjo art was for an advertisement. But the market for anything video game is going mental right now so what would I know. 

9 hours ago, romitaman said:

ON the ASM 97 unpub cover.......Spider-man was all completely drawn under the stat....(just moved 1/4 inch) There is ALSO a bottle with pills falling onto the ground drawn under the drawn empty hand of Harry Osborn under the drawn art

(I had zero knowledge Spider-Man was drawn...) I just had a strong feeling that art would be drawn underneath the stat as i didn't believe in 1971 they would have blank area under the stat and that marvel editors just moved the art hopefully.

I'm glad I was right!

Amazing! Would you care to share? 

2 hours ago, grapeape said:

Too low I thought. It’s a beautiful cover. That one was a good buy no doubt. 

Didn't the price to some degree reflect the damage? I wasn't to bothered by the description of condition as I hadn't enlarged the picture until a friend mentioned it. Once I saw the scoring right the way through it would definitely factor into my bidding.

1 hour ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

I love Vess’ Spiderman and IMHO his version is among the top 3.  If this was published as an ASM cover, I can see $45K, but as a Web of Spidey cover, I think the $30K is quite strong.  30% above what I expected.

Did you see his lesser Web Cover in the last auction that went for $19k? 

There wasn't a chance this cover, with a Spider-man image leaps and bounds ahead of the last Vess Web Cover to sell in May, was going for just a few thousand more. 

There's only one or two Vess covers with Spider-man that I would put on par with this one. This was a VERY popular lot among the many folks I talked to before the live auction. I was hoping it wouldn't be and I would have been THRILLED if your estimate was correct because then I would own it right now. lol 

In an informal poll among some collectors my own estimate for this one was $30k exactly , and mine was the lowest estimate among the several seasoned collectors involved. 

6 hours ago, Kevin76 said:

Thats a great page, with an iconic image of spidey on top. it feels right, perfect display page.

3 hours ago, gumbydarnit said:

For the sellers once you back out all the HA fees and pay Uncle Sam his cut of the seller’s profit. It really takes a massive bite out of these big auction numbers.

Your biggest assumption here is that all sellers pay a fee. I can tell you this isn’t the case. Plus if they offset their sales with a purchase, it reduces tax liability I’d imagine.