• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

July Heritage Auction Sorta Shaping Up!
3 3

519 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, grapeape said:

I sense crafty future bidders driving the final bidding down 😂

Not a bidder, but I'd bet he used a Halloween prop from the Spirit pop up store as the model here. I know those weren't around then. 

Kidding aside, this cover does hit the eyes of newbies rather quickly, speaking as a relative newbie. This and the Black Cat radioactive one are quite visible online. 

3 hours ago, bluechip said:

I had never see this cover, or given a moment's thought to "Harvey PCH" or "Warren Kremer," and I've never listened to that band or seen their album cover, but when I saw the prelim cover for this come up for auction years ago I bid several times what the conventional wisdom said you should pay for any prelim by a top artist featuring a top hero.  I couldn't believe I didn't get it, but what happened was that someone (maybe several people) realized, even better than I did, that it was a really creative and evocative piece, regardless of whether you liked comics or had ever hear of any of the people, bands or publications involved.   

Or perhaps PCH OA diehards.  They do exist judging from EC OA prices/results, just that I dunno how many will persist in 10+ years.

Edited by exitmusicblue

On 7/17/2020 at 10:43 PM, tth2 said:

Exactly.  We are talking about illustrated/commercial art here.  The primary reason that it has value is that it got published and therefore needs to be in the form that was published. 

Suppose Marvel commissioned Frank Frazetta and Herb Trimpe to draw up alternative versions for the cover of Incredible Hulk 181, and then for whatever reason decided to go with the Trimpe version that we all know today.  Despite Frazetta being a bigger name, and despite his version no doubt being clearly artistically superior to the published version by Herb Trimpe, the Frazetta version will never be as valuable as the Trimpe version

In no other world other than illustrated/commercial art (which includes comic art), will art by Frazetta be valued less than art by Trimpe simply because one was published and the other was not.

not sure if this is "always" true... I do agree in general with your post but there are always a few exceptions to that rule.

i owned both the published ASM 82 cover  and the unpublished ASM 82 cover that got lost (was published many years later for the marvel tales version of that issue) but the unpublished asm 82 would easily sell for more than the published asm 82 cover because its just a far superior looking cover.

pub cover is marie severin inked by Romita...

unpub (lost) cover was all Romita.

Mike

On 7/18/2020 at 7:52 AM, hmendryk said:

While I can see how some (many?) collectors might feel this way, I hold a different position. While being published certainly adds value to a piece of comic book art, in the end for me it is about the art. That is what an artist puts down on the paper. Stats are no more original art than the published comic book. In my collection I have a unused cover art for Captain America #125 by Marie Severin and Frank Giacoia that I personally value much more than the published version because IMO it is a much better piece of art. I am not sure I would ever purchase a piece with a stat covering some original art, but if I did I would probably have the stats removed and put a mylar overlay so that I could see and admire the artist's original intention.

CaptainAmerica125.jpg

stunning!!! where did you get that beauty?

7 hours ago, romitaman said:

i owned both the published ASM 82 cover  and the unpublished ASM 82 cover that got lost (was published many years later for the marvel tales version of that issue) but the unpublished asm 82 would easily sell for more than the published asm 82 cover because its just a far superior looking cover.

But it's not an unpublished cover anymore, now it's the published cover for Marvel Tales 63 (which is fantastic) would sell for more than the published cover to Spidey 82 (which is ok).

1 hour ago, Crowzilla said:

But it's not an unpublished cover anymore, now it's the published cover for Marvel Tales 63 (which is fantastic) would sell for more than the published cover to Spidey 82 (which is ok).

I'd take the published ASM #82 cover over the Marvel Tales #63 cover.  I agree that the latter is nicer, but, main run pre-#100 ASM I think is going to trump the nicer all-Romita drawing that only saw print years later in the reprint title for many of us. For better or worse, we all remember what every ASM cover from the era looked like, but, I suspect that most of us would struggle to remember the Marvel Tales covers. 

Edited by delekkerste

2 hours ago, hmendryk said:

If I remember correctly, Heritage.

Yeah, it was 2 years ago.  I remember because I was the underbidder. :pullhair:  :kidaround: 

It's a really great piece, much nicer than the published cover. 

2 hours ago, delekkerste said:

I'd take the published ASM #82 cover over the Marvel Tales #63 cover.  I agree that the latter is nicer, but, main run pre-#100 ASM I think is going to trump the nicer all-Romita drawing that only saw print years later in the reprint title for many of us. For better or worse, we all remember what every ASM cover from the era looked like, but, I suspect that most of us would struggle to remember the Marvel Tales covers. 

Boy if I had the marvel tales cover I’d wish it was main run asm and if I had the asm I’d wish it looked like the Marvel tales cover.   Both have their pros and cons I guess. 

18 hours ago, Bronty said:

While we are at it, why TF are his bones green?   

18 hours ago, Bronty said:

why do we still see her hair?   Shouldn't we be seeing only skull?

17 hours ago, cstojano said:

The true travesty (not judging the art at all) is the horrendous rendering of human orbital skeletal anatomy

I know right?  And why isn't he being a good skeleton and staying in his coffin?  And when he takes tries to take a sip from his goblet isn't he going to get his shirt and pants all wet?...

Sorry hah...it's just funny the way some of you guys break these pieces down.  To me this is an incredibly creative work of art.  I wonder what inspiration he had or if he just conjured this up from his own imagination.

My guess on the green bones would be that it was done perhaps to make this stand out a little more on the newsstand.  It's unusual and catches the eye, and strikes a nice contrast with the red dress, and makes the entire composition a little more colorful overall.

With regards to the disproportionate eye socket and hair, I look at this as being some sort of mystical goblet that lets the observer see the beast in its true form, that of a bug-eyed hag which has cast some sort of illusion of beauty upon itself, rather than it being highly accurate an x-ray machine in a glass.

Edited by szav

On 7/18/2020 at 5:52 AM, hmendryk said:

While I can see how some (many?) collectors might feel this way, I hold a different position. While being published certainly adds value to a piece of comic book art, in the end for me it is about the art. That is what an artist puts down on the paper. Stats are no more original art than the published comic book. In my collection I have a unused cover art for Captain America #125 by Marie Severin and Frank Giacoia that I personally value much more than the published version because IMO it is a much better piece of art. I am not sure I would ever purchase a piece with a stat covering some original art, but if I did I would probably have the stats removed and put a mylar overlay so that I could see and admire the artist's original intention.

CaptainAmerica125.jpg

Just wanted to chime in about how much I like this piece.  It's really unique.  You can see why Marvel didn't use it, it's just way too charged.  And that's what makes it incredible.  Congrats on owning it.  

15 minutes ago, szav said:

I know right?  And why isn't he being a good skeleton and staying in his coffin?  And when he takes tries to take a sip from his goblet isn't he going to get his shirt and pants all wet?...

Sorry hah...it's just funny the way some of you guys break these pieces down.  To me this is an incredibly creative work of art.  I wonder what inspiration he had or if he just conjured this up from his own imagination.

My guess on the green bones would be that it was done perhaps to make this stand out a little more on the newsstand.  It's unusual and catches the eye, and strikes a nice contrast with the red dress, and makes the entire composition a little more colorful overall.

With regards to the disproportionate eye socket and hair, I look at this as being some sort of mystical goblet that lets the observer see the beast in its true form, that of a bug-eyed hag which has cast some sort of illusion of beauty upon itself, rather than it being highly accurate an x-ray machine in a glass.

Like I said... that scotch (if that’s what it is) will go right “through” him. ;) Not sure why he isn’t being a good skeleton.   Maybe Daddy Skeleton was a little too hard on him growing up.   Luckily his date appears to like the bad boys so he’s doing okay .  As for the green bones perhaps he just needs some Gold Bond medicated powder 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Bronty

10 minutes ago, buttock said:

Just wanted to chime in about how much I like this piece.  It's really unique.  You can see why Marvel didn't use it, it's just way too charged.  And that's what makes it incredible.  Congrats on owning it.  

Anyone own JIM 117?

14 minutes ago, Bronty said:

that scotch (if that’s what it is) will go right “through” him

Sorry I think I missed you saying that in my haste.  Just having some fun.

I think this is one of the all time PCH classics and it'll be fun to see where it lands.  With what people are currently paying for the books, one can only guess what this piece will go for.  I'm just a casual observer in the OA market, but it does seem to me GA does not get the same love that SA does. 

I think it may be considered bad etiquette in this forum to guess on prices for things, but I will say this piece to me is infinitely cooler and more unique than all of the run of the mill hero pages and covers that go for 100k plus nowadays.

Edited by szav