• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

July Heritage Auction Sorta Shaping Up!
3 3

519 posts in this topic

54 minutes ago, Bronty said:

A little off the beaten path but any guesses where the dragons lair arcade poster art ends up?     https://comics.ha.com/itm/animation-art/production-drawing/dragon-s-lair-promotional-poster-original-art-don-bluth-1983-/a/7232-98210.s

I was secretly hoping it wouldn't go crazy high but I guess there are a lot of guys like me that remember spending a ton of quarters playing that game.  I am going to guess somewhere in the $30k to $40k range plus BP.

Edited by batman_fan

I bow to no one in my love of Herb Trimpe, but am I the only one who thinks the Hulk #180 pages are kind of...blah? Is the appeal really just that Wolverine's first appearance comes on a completely different page of this issue? Or am I missing something?

3 hours ago, batman_fan said:

I was secretly hoping it wouldn't go crazy high but I guess there are a lot of guys like me that remember spending a ton of quarters playing that game.  I am going to guess somewhere in the $30k to $40k range plus BP.

I was secretly hoping that too lol but it is already past my initial estimate and only going higher I think.   I could see 50+ after talking to some folks .  But who knows.

Edited by Bronty

1 hour ago, christosgage said:

I bow to no one in my love of Herb Trimpe, but am I the only one who thinks the Hulk #180 pages are kind of...blah? Is the appeal really just that Wolverine's first appearance comes on a completely different page of this issue? Or am I missing something?

It’s a more memorable set of pages as a result .   No more no less

Yeah me too, and apparently a lot of other people. Already beyond what I would spend. In addition to the nostalgia (never have more quarters been spent so quickly), the piece has the advantage of representing the game without the issues associated with actual cels, namely they are hard to display nicely. On the downside, you'd be crazy to frame this and actually expose it to sunlight. 

When it first popped up, silly me spent a half hour mentally sketching out the financial rejiggering that a $10-12K buy might require.  At this point, I'm guessing it easily tops $35K.

It's obviously not as beloved/remembered, but I'm curious to see where the Space Ace piece ends up.  With it coming after the Dragon's Lair piece, there might be some folks desperate for a consolation prize. 

I also wonder to what extent the poster art's use on some game box art is driving the price??

The other major appeal is that it's a "one and done" piece. It's all there.

Edited by cstojano

47 minutes ago, ShallowDan said:

When it first popped up, silly me spent a half hour mentally sketching out the financial rejiggering that a $10-12K buy might require.  At this point, I'm guessing it easily tops $35K.

It's obviously not as beloved/remembered, but I'm curious to see where the Space Ace piece ends up.  With it coming after the Dragon's Lair piece, there might be some folks desperate for a consolation prize. 

I think space ace gets 8-17 (if I had to pick a number, 14.4k all in).   

1 hour ago, cstojano said:

I also wonder to what extent the poster art's use on some game box art is driving the price??

The other major appeal is that it's a "one and done" piece. It's all there.

I would guess not too much as this exact piece wasn’t used until the wii/Xbox era (like 20-25 years after the fact - so at least for me kind of a non factor) .  I think it’s just nostalgia for the arcade game and also a nice strong image, good colours, perfect size. 

Edited by Bronty

5 hours ago, batman_fan said:

I guess there are a lot of guys like me that remember spending a ton of quarters playing that game

If I remember correctly this was the first "story" video game that allowed you to take the character in a few different directions.  As a Space Invaders/Defender/Asteroids/Battle Zone/Centipede/Galaga/Missile Command/Frogger/PaC Man/Ms. Pac Man/Pinball kinda guy I never really got into it.

18 minutes ago, ThothAmon said:

If I remember correctly this was the first "story" video game that allowed you to take the character in a few different directions.  As a Space Invaders/Defender/Asteroids/Battle Zone/Centipede/Galaga/Missile Command/Frogger/PaC Man/Ms. Pac Man/Pinball kinda guy I never really got into it.

I'm not sure if there were different directions. Maybe. As I recall you just had to do specific actions in a certain time and sequence to get through each staged screen/event. It's the type of game that could never exist today because all the cheats would be online within 15 minutes.  i think the game was mostly trial and error. I thought it was the overall story arc and graphics that really made it revolutionary at the time. 

14 minutes ago, cstojano said:

I'm not sure if there were different directions. Maybe. As I recall you just had to do specific actions in a certain time and sequence to get through each staged screen/event. It's the type of game that could never exist today because all the cheats would be online within 15 minutes.  i think the game was mostly trial and error. I thought it was the overall story arc and graphics that really made it revolutionary at the time. 

That's how I remember it too.

54 minutes ago, cstojano said:

I remember there being a glow or flash in the direction you were supposed to go (or on your sword if you were supposed to use it) but there was a VERY short window for you to react properly, so yeah, there was a lot of trial and error involved.

1 hour ago, ThothAmon said:

Same here.

25 minutes ago, vodou said:

image.png.07483bb0726ca80fa59628032646b004.png

Nice guess. It was actually Round Table Pizza. I don’t think they are a nationwide chain because I’ve never seen one in Arizona or Texas. The one in my hometown had a small arcade room with maybe 5 game consoles, Dragon’s Lair being one of them. My first time at a Chuck E. Cheese was actually last year. 

I think I made it to Chuck E. Cheese once and it was a pilgrimage experience. I spent plenty of time at the Monmouth Mall, NJ arcade. My friend at the time wore weight lifting gloves to play. When the money was almost out I'd head to Burger King to grab one of the best foods I'd ever had at the time - a Burger King chicken sandwich. Yeah, good times. 

Shakey's Pizza was the 1st place where we could play video games in the town I grew up in but it was mainly Pacman, Defenders (and later Stargate), etc.  Probably just one pinball machine.  Later we got a full fledged video arcade that had Galaga (I set it up one time and played for several hours on a quarter), Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr, Crazy Climber (my favorite game), etc..  They got the Dragon's Lair game which if I remember correctly was a laser disk game.  The line was always super long to play for the first few months when it came out.  Space Ace wasn't even close to as popular.