• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What do you consider "affordable"?
3 3

20 posts in this topic

I've often wondered what the threshold for "affordable" really means. What is the criteria do you hold when it comes to getting a key that is "affordable"?

Just curious as this is a term that seems dubious as I would think it would simply be supply and demand.

The term "affordable" is all relative to a number of factors:
1. What the market is and what your perception is of what it should be

2. What the market is and what you believe the potential is

3. Each collectors potential to spend money whether it is savings or earnings

For me personally, I don't see anything as "affordable" but rather look for books that I am interested at affordable pricing which would be say 10-20% below FMV.

Of course it is relative, but as the question was asked what do we individually consider "affordable", for me it is under $1000, as while I can "afford" to spend more than that, it's at about that price point I debate how much I really want something as a keeper. I think this may be true for many, as I have noticed that unless the price a relative bargain, or the book very scarce or in high enough demand generally, that selling comics in the four figure range does not seem near as easy as selling ones in the three figure price range.

Really affordable, as in impulse purchase territory, where one doesn't feel a need to check their bank or credit card balance, budget for the expense, or otherwise consider personal finances, probably caps out at $50-$100 for most people.  

If it's an impulse buy (which I try to not make usually), then I think about $50-$100 is normal.  As far as what is affordable to me, it just depends.  I haven't been one of those guys to drop $10K on a comic, but I have spent over $1k on a book a few times.  Depending on what it is and the condition, I would say $200-$400.  But that takes into account my income as well as the money coming out for bills and other expenses every month.  If it is a big book, I will save for a couple months then make the purchase.  

Affordable is when a book is in the price range i feel is justifiable. For example Giant Size X-Men #1 cgc 9.4 with white pages for 4500 is acceptable. 4400.00 is ideal. 4600 i would pass unless the wrap is perfectly centered. So affordable for me is a fair price.

Depends on the book. But nowadays I won't even consider an issue over $100.

I pride myself in paying that amount or more for only 12 comicbooks in my collection. The most I ever paid was $350.

On 5/17/2020 at 10:54 PM, APDallas said:

I've often wondered what the threshold for "affordable" really means. What is the criteria do you hold when it comes to getting a key that is "affordable"?

Just curious as this is a term that seems dubious as I would think it would simply be supply and demand.

You gotta go on print run. Low print run and a popular book, sheesh. Just the other day the TMNT released Last Ronin #1 and the demand outstripped supply. But it’s relatively new book,2021.. so you can still get it but you’re gonna pay.

there’s a big case of FOMO in peoples lives, this increases when you see something you like and someone’s already got a bid on it or it’s sold out everywhere. So it’s affordable if you think it’s worth it.

I use census as a guide to what has sold in the last year. You find the middle of the most selling grades and look at the price average.

It’s an asset, an investment, you have to track the market or you will get burned.

$5 and under for all non-key issues, and under $20 (perhaps lower) for #1s of less notable books. Getting into key issues, popular series, special variants, etc. it depends. I think $50 is the threshold for me on "affordable" books that aren't things I'm dedicated to, and it's the highest I'd expect a casual reader to pay for any single issue. Comic collecting is a pretty expensive hobby, so while I wouldn't balk at spending more on certain books, I would not call things "affordable" past that point, even if it is certainly worth that price.

I think lately there's been a weird attitude around the word "affordable." Most things, especially collector things, would never be considered "affordable."