• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Alan Moore Appreciation Thread
10 10

461 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

I got the signed LOEG Tempest hardback in the mail today and here are the scans.  I know it's not authenticated, but I still love it.

loeg 3.jpg

loeg 4.jpg

loeg 1.jpg

loeg 2.jpg

:x

pretty cool!

A lot more affordable than $2000 for a yellow label, but not as cool.  I thought that last miniseries was great and I never read my copies.  I bought digital versions to read. My plan is to try and eventually get every LOEG comic in 9.8.  What can I say:  I’m a huuuugggeee fan of the movie.

I recommend reaching out to people in the registry who have comics you are interested in getting.  Thanks to SOS_Fan I was able to procure my first 9.9 Alan Moore comic.  His Swamp Thing run was my favorite thing by him too.  So maybe take a break from watching riots and racism on TV, stare at a beautifully drawn Bissette and Totleben Cover for a few seconds, and then go back to being freaked out.

390C6692-0AC9-47B7-B516-B96B8B456DC2.png

Everyone who has ever tried to build a set of 9.8 Watchmen’s knows this to be true.  #8 is the hardest one to find and I’m not sure why (maybe someone out there can tell us).  If you’ve just started to collect this miniseries and you see #8, jump on it.  It  typically sells for twice the amount of the other issues, with the exception of #1.

Watchmen #8 a.jpg

53 minutes ago, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

I love the cover too.  Providence is one of the few Alan Moore comics I haven’t read.  I’ll have to rectify that.  What do you think of the story?

I didn't think much of it. I'm a huge fan of Moore's writing and, if you consider the entire body of his work, the Alan Moore oeuvre is probably the greatest in the short history of "serious" comics storytelling. However, I've tried to read the stuff he's done in the past fifteen years or so and, frankly, it's mostly pretty boring. 

On 6/4/2020 at 4:54 AM, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

F2A9E61C-C644-484F-ADB1-C7EC63CD059F.thumb.jpeg.30e4373ece855f3facce593f6c579b1d.jpeg

1BB0F688-B3B3-4431-8A4E-E3CD3B8CA304.jpeg

81119F25-92BA-48DD-9752-9F0D4EF05AFC.jpeg

B4A53249-B490-405F-B9DE-DDCE268C11B0.jpeg

AE9B2B5A-F9AC-41C1-9ABE-35FEB094987C.jpeg

23B40781-EFFD-4F59-A738-C86630CB38C2.jpeg

I haven't been able to pull the trigger on this book yet but I've been tempted. It's the storage of it that turns me off. 

I did recently reread the Miracleman run and issue 15, when MM has to kill Jonny, still hits me. That entire issue, and particularly that scene, is, to me, the greatest artistic comics achievement of all time. Totleben is the best ever in my mind. 

3 hours ago, Ryan. said:

I didn't think much of it. I'm a huge fan of Moore's writing and, if you consider the entire body of his work, the Alan Moore oeuvre is probably the greatest in the short history of "serious" comics storytelling. However, I've tried to read the stuff he's done in the past fifteen years or so and, frankly, it's mostly pretty boring. 

Good to know.  Thanks.  Some of his stuff I really didn’t like, such as A Small Killing, Wildcats, Voodoo.  The art in those Providence books looks great to me though.  I’m not familiar with that artist.

23 hours ago, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

I love the cover too.  Providence is one of the few Alan Moore comics I haven’t read.  I’ll have to rectify that.  What do you think of the story?

I enjoyed it; but you need to be very familiar with H. P. Lovecraft's work for the book to work at all.  It also winds up tying in with The Courtyard and Neonomicon, and the last couple issues or so don't stand on their own... which wasn't obvious for the first 9 or 10 issues.  And, frankly, The Courtyard and Neonomicon have a well earned reputation as being nasty and unpleasant books.  Not necessarily books that are nasty and unpleasant for the own sake, but to make creative points... but still nasty and unpleasant.

So, yeah.  If you're a hardcore Alan Moore fan who is also a fan of Lovecraft who nevertheless is fully aware of how ugly some of Lovecraft's views are and can work around that contradiction and don't mind tracking down some other books by Moore that you need to understand the series but aren't nearly as good or enjoyable as Providence itself, it's pretty great.  With all those qualifiers, it's not something I can just recommend without reservation.

On 6/7/2020 at 3:21 PM, Ryan. said:

I haven't been able to pull the trigger on this book yet but I've been tempted. It's the storage of it that turns me off. 

I did recently reread the Miracleman run and issue 15, when MM has to kill Jonny, still hits me. That entire issue, and particularly that scene, is, to me, the greatest artistic comics achievement of all time. Totleben is the best ever in my mind. 

After checking out your collection on myslabbedcomics.com, I would have thought you’d say LB Cole is the best ever.  That Blue Bolt #105 you just put up is awesome.  I wonder if that cover’s why Star Trek directors put a lot of sexy green alien women In episodes?  (Sorry for the Golden Age diversion)

B6C9AD98-CD12-4C99-B1EC-4EFB7F753390.jpeg

11 hours ago, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

After checking out your collection on myslabbedcomics.com, I would have thought you’d say LB Cole is the best ever.  That Blue Bolt #105 you just put up is awesome.  I wonder if that cover’s why Star Trek directors put a lot of sexy green alien women In episodes?  (Sorry for the Golden Age diversion)

Thanks. Cole has my vote for best cover artist, particularly his sci-fi covers.